• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Android Apps (1 Viewer)

AndyK

Just bought a new android phone and need to furnish it with good birding apps, any suggestions? In particular I was hoping for a good listing app.

I just have the xeno canto one so far.

I use birguides (free version) , wp checklist, maverick (ordnance survey gps), birdtrack, and bbc weather (for sunrise/sunset times and hour by hour weather forecasts).

I've tried every listing app I've found. None are quicker or more vesatile than a decent notebook.

That said, on my phone (Galaxy S4) I have BTO Birdtrack and fill it in at home from the notebook afterwards. That works out my uk year and lifelists without further effort on my part and provides data for BTO to use.

I also have various Duncan Watson checklists to keep track of world lifelist, notably his Bird Families.

As a handy id guide I use the so called RSPB eGuide which is about the best of the ones I've seen. For mapping I use Anquet OMN.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I downloaded the birdtrack app yesterday but kept getting an error when trying to 'grab species'. seems to have worked now.

Thanks all, I downloaded the birdtrack app yesterday but kept getting an error when trying to 'grab species'. seems to have worked now.

Yes mine seemed to take a while to 'bed in' too, which seems silly for software. It's been more or less trouble free subsequently but the list scrolling is irritatingly poor and the site management has room for improvement.

I recently switched fro Iphone to Android (Nexus 5). My Bird Obs (MBO) works well, and I also use BirdLog NA to put sightings in Ebird - which is sort of listing.

Richard

Just bought a new android phone and need to furnish it with good birding apps, any suggestions? In particular I was hoping for a good listing app.

I just have the xeno canto one so far.

Mytracks is a useful app if you want to keep track of the locations where a bird is seen.

I maintain a photo life list and like to geo tag my photos so that they display on a map. In most built up areas I can locate the location on google earth but in more remote areas I sometimes had trouble. I downloaded myTracks from google. It's a free app that tracks your location using GPS satellites. You can improve the accuracy by also using the cell towers but this will incur data charges. Using the GPS satellites is free.

The finished track can be exported as a spreadsheet and even displayed on google earth. My GH3 supposedly allows auto geo tagging by syncing with the phone but I haven't used that feature. I prefer to manually tag the photos using the time stamp to get the proper coordinate. Very useful when hiking.

Paul
photo life list http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/MyBirds/i-dHwGDxP

Just purchased the Audubon Birds app for Androids, excellent for field Id, works without wifi or internet connection, you can log, share information and id with others, $4.00 Can, I also dowloaded the app to my Samsung iPad.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back