• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss binocular wipes?? (1 Viewer)

black crow

I've been looking at these on Amazon. However they get some bad reviews claiming knock off products masquerading as the real thing and ruining lenses.

Has anyone had any negative (or positive) experiences with these pre packaged lense cleaning wipes. Do you think they are a good idea?

I get mine from the optics area at Walmart....Order the Zeiss spray and kim wipes off of E-Bay ...

I use them, but they are a poor way to clean fully, as they leave a film that needs a proper

microfiber cleaning cloth to finish the job.

Jerry

Why buy propriety products such as Zeiss or in the UK Viking lens cleaner and wipes?
I recently purchased "Binoculars: Fallacy and Fact" from Amazon written by William C Cook a regular and expert contributor to Bird Form. His excellent book includes information on how to make your own cleaning fluid and a recommendation to use soft toilet tissues as a lens wipe. I have followed Bill's advice for over two or three months with no ill effects.
I made approx 7L of lens cleaning fluid for the price of 4 x100ml of propriety product. This is significantly more than I need to clean my modest collection of optics (mainly top of the range Swaro, Zeiss and Nikon plus my micro 4/3 Olympus camera and lenses).
The spin off is that this cleaning fluid is excellent for cleaning domestic windows, cut glass vases, car windsceens etc. In fact I have recouped my initial investment (£12) in a matter of weeks.
Lots of other interesting advice and information in Bill's book, highly recommended with some impressive endorsements.

I use Zeiss wipes or a spot of Zeiss lens cleaning fluid as a last resort if normal wiping (after brushing/blowing dust away) doesn't do the job. And Jerry is dead right that you need to then use your breath and a clean microfibre cloth to polish off the lens afterwards. I find the wipes very convenient when on holidays/expeditions and take a kit of brush, 6 microfibre cloths and 4 Zeiss wipes and this takes care of the occasional lens cleaning job over a month away from home.

Lee

Thanks to everyone. I'll skip these then.

I like the soft toilet tissue idea. It never hurts to have some with you when you're out there anyway if you know what I mean.

I really wouldn't use toilet tissue on bino lenses even if the tissue hasn't already been 'used'. My optician warned me off using tissue of any kind due to it being made from pulped wood and being 'scratchy'. I don't know of any optics company that recommends this.
Carry a microfibre cloth in a little plastic wallet and keep the toilet tissue somewhere else for 'other purposes'.

Lee

The current wipes (square packets) are not as good as the old rectangular ones, but I find they do a better job at cleaning lenses than most optical solutions, with the possible exception of ROR.

I really wouldn't use toilet tissue on bino lenses even if the tissue hasn't already been 'used'. My optician warned me off using tissue of any kind due to it being made from pulped wood and being 'scratchy'. I don't know of any optics company that recommends this.
Carry a microfibre cloth in a little plastic wallet and keep the toilet tissue somewhere else for 'other purposes'.

Lee
Lee,I think "the Mandy Rice Davies response" is appropriate "he would say that wouldn't he"(sic).
I would rate Bill Cook's knowledge of maintaining optical equipment rather higher than most opticians and I include my friend who is a retired professor of optometry.
I also keep"Pentax" microfibre cloth in my Filofax (notebook) but at home I use toilet tissue for cleaning my "ready readers" (spectacles) very frequently because I am constantly taking them on and off and leaving them all over the place. No noticeable deterioration in optical performance.
The optical performance of my non phase corrected Zeiss 10x40s (1986) which show some evidence of slight scratching on the eyepieces remain fit for purpose.

Hi Robert

I am quite at ease with the notion that it might be predictable that I would recommend using a micro-fibre cloth rather than toilet tissue to clean lenses.

I am also glad to hear you are still using your Dialyts. The pair I had were non-phase corrected too but they were cracking binos which I used for 17 years. I replaced them with a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 but I still have fond memories of them

Lee

That's what I usually use. (microfiber) I must have at least twenty of the dang things. They do a nice job although some are better than others. But now I'd use TP in a pinch compared to my Tee Shirt or something. I do admit to having used a tee shirt a time or two when I had forgotten anything else but I was aware I was in danger and so used the lightest touch possible and made sure there was no grit on the tee shirt. As a practice I avoid it it. I have rarely found I needed more than my breath and a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
Lee,I think "the Mandy Rice Davies response" is appropriate "he would say that wouldn't he"(sic).
I would rate Bill Cook's knowledge of maintaining optical equipment rather higher than most opticians and I include my friend who is a retired professor of optometry.
I also keep"Pentax" microfibre cloth in my Filofax (notebook) but at home I use toilet tissue for cleaning my "ready readers" (spectacles) very frequently because I am constantly taking them on and off and leaving them all over the place. No noticeable deterioration in optical performance.
The optical performance of my non phase corrected Zeiss 10x40s (1986) which show some evidence of slight scratching on the eyepieces remain fit for purpose.

Hi, Robert:

Thanks for your kind support.

I have microfiber cloths all over the house. And in the use of toilet tissue, the activity can be over simplified--and frequently is. I used ONLY White Cloud or Charmin--lightly. Still better were the clean strips of used, 100% cotton T-shirt (Oh, no, fibers ... we're all going to die!). The point was to follow T.R's mantra of "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." So many people want to make cleaning optics into rocket science. That bolsters the ego but wastes a tremendous amount of time.

There are many things a thoughtful and dexterous (but inexperienced) person CAN do to damage their optics. In most cases, however, if they were to speed up the activity 10-fold, they would be dead before the effects could be seen by anyone short of Superman.

There are things the super optics geek COULD know about cleaning optics. However, many--while technically accurate--are just, to the professional's way of thinking, ... FLUF. With 50 to 80 repair jobs in the queue at all times, I just didn't have time for FLUF.

Every opinion on the various bino forums are just as valid as all the others. However, that does not mean that every opinion is as ACCURATE as all the others. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
so TP if its convenient.....that gets the mind swirling....[pun intended]...

There were times, especially when working with the government or a fishing vessel on a schedule, that 20 hours of work had to be done in five! :cat:

Bill

Hi, Robert:

Thanks for your kind support.

I have microfiber cloths all over the house. And in the use of toilet tissue, the activity can be over simplified--and frequently is. I used ONLY White Cloud or Charmin--lightly. Still better were the clean strips of used, 100% cotton T-shirt (Oh, no, fibers ... we're all going to die!). The point was to follow T.R's mantra of "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." So many people want to make cleaning optics into rocket science. That bolsters the ego but wastes a tremendous amount of time.

There are many things a thoughtful and dexterous (but inexperienced) person CAN do to damage their optics. In most cases, however, if they were to speed up the activity 10-fold, they would be dead before the effects could be seen by anyone short of Superman.

There are things the super optics geek COULD know about cleaning optics. However, many--while technically accurate--are just, to the professional's way of thinking, ... FLUF. With 50 to 80 repair jobs in the queue at all times, I just didn't have time for FLUF.

Every opinion on the various bino forums are just as valid as all the others. However, that does not mean that every opinion is as ACCURATE as all the others. :cat:

Bill

OK this is all good stuff to know. Thanks. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Hi Robert

I am quite at ease with the notion that it might be predictable that I would recommend using a micro-fibre cloth rather than toilet tissue to clean lenses.

I am also glad to hear you are still using your Dialyts. The pair I had were non-phase corrected too but they were cracking binos which I used for 17 years. I replaced them with a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 but I still have fond memories of them

Lee
Sorry Lee the MRD response was referring to the optician not you. I must also say that I have not used 10x binoculars as my main birding pair since 1997. Bought some 7x42 Dialyts. Nearly 3 years ago bought some Swarovski 8x32s and last year after a modest windfall I bought some 10x42 STs. My wife,s comment was simply you didn't need them you wanted them!

Sorry Lee the MRD response was referring to the optician not you. I must also say that I have not used 10x binoculars as my main birding pair since 1997. Bought some 7x42 Dialyts. Nearly 3 years ago bought some Swarovski 8x32s and last year after a modest windfall I bought some 10x42 STs. My wife,s comment was simply you didn't need them you wanted them!

OK Robert I must admit to having been a bit puzzled but all clear now. If my optician was hoping to sell me microfibre cloths she has been disappointed. I have accumulated enough of them over the years and they get a wash periodically.

Same for me with 10x. In my younger days I was fixated on more magnification so had to have 10x but as I got more into observing behaviour I down-magged first to 8.5 with the Swaro and then 8x with an FL and this was to get the bigger depth of field to avoid fiddling with refocusing.

Your 7x42 is one of the bench-mark binos and with a 32 and a 10x you have nicely balanced stable.

My 10x only come out for particular sites/habitats otherwise 8x is my choice although I might have a go with a 7x in the near future.

Cheers Lee

If you are using microfiber cloths, remember to wash them regularly. You really don’t want grains of sand or grit to get trapped and turn the cloths into sandpaper. The first step should be to use canned air or a camel’s hair brush to remove potentially abrasive particles from the lens surface.

Also not all microfiber is made equal. The one you want is the one with a squeegee-like microstructure like 3M 9027 electronics cleaning cloths, and they do need liquid to lift the soiling. In most cases a volatile non-polar solvent like methanol, not water, will work best.

Last edited:
I saw my friend in the camera shop use canned air on a camera lens.
A massive blob of stuff came out. It went everywhere and it took him ages to get rid of it from the camera.

I found it amusing.
Not sure he did.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back