• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Secret to a steady hold. (1 Viewer)

black crow

I've moved up to 10x binos because I often am looking at quite long distances. I'm used to 7x or 8x usually and I find holding a 10x steady a bit more of a challenge. I did a little search and saw one guy would wear a baseball cap and used the bill to steady his hold on 12x bins.

I was wondering what those with more experience with larger power binos do to steady their views? Any tips? I really like 10x but I'd like to be able to hold a little more steady. Does arm strength make any real difference for quick views?

Last edited:
If you are out and about, carry a loop of string (or rawhide if you want to be rustic) and sit down with the loop over your knees. Rest your elbows over your knees, like you do in the well-known position. Knees should be 18" or a bit more apart when the loop is tight.

The loop makes a tremendous difference in steadiness.

You should simply get better results with a little practice. Relaxing and breathing normally helps. How you balance the bino and rest the eyecups against your brow/face may matter. You'll actually learn to hold steadier, and/or your brain will get better at dealing with it.

Here's a thought...and really just for fun...

Stand in a solid, comfortable position while resting elbows in a way that are supported on your belly.
1. Inhale while raising the bins to your eyes.
2. Exhale slightly while locking onto your image.
3. Hold breath and enjoy view.

:)

Hi,

I was wondering what those with more experience with larger power binos do to steady their views? Any tips? I really like 10x but I'd like to be able to hold a little more steady.

In my experience, you'll get a marked increase in stability with a shoulder stock :)

Here's the one I designed for 3D printing:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2807320

Click through he pictures to see the binocular set-up ... which admittedly was an afterthought, my primary application had been to steady a small spotting scope as depicted in the first photograph.

While the benefit of the shoulder stock is clear, so is the disadvantage: The resulting rig is quite bulky and somewhat inconvenient to carry around the neck.

Regards,

Henning

With lightish 10x I sometimes let them rest on my finger tips and reach back with both thumbs and rest those against my face. It creates a kind of cradle. This works well with bins like Opticron's Imagic.

Easiest 10x to hold that I have found is Zeiss's SF due to the very different balance they have built into it.

Lee

Then there are trees, walls, lamp posts, car roofs etc. to firmly support ones hands and the binocular.
Window frames, window sills, telephone catalogues.

They make a tremendous difference.

Some camera users tied string to the camera and stood on the bottom of the string.

I used the camera strap to go over and wrap around my arm tightly but not tightly enough to cause damage.
One has to get the strap length exactly right.

It's almost a joke amongst my friends and family but I don't leave the house without a baseball cap. It stops glare, especially with glasses, it prevents sunburn, since I'm balding, and yes indeed you can hook a couple fingers over the bill and steady the binoculars as well as stopping glare from the side. It works. Give it a try.

Mark

I was wondering what those with more experience with larger power binos do to steady their views? Any tips? I really like 10x but I'd like to be able to hold a little more steady. Does arm strength make any real difference for quick views?

BC,

Both of my 10X binos are heavy weights (EL10X50SV-2#, Canon 10X42L IS-2.5#). For me, I can obtain a steady view for up to 5 minutes at a time by resting my arms on my chest and like Lee, support each tube with my finger tips. This decreases my overall fatigue and adds a type of shock-absorbing effect to any sudden movement, including my steady breathing. After a brief rest, I'm good to go for another viewing time frame. Some of my field excursions have lasted 6-8 hrs at a time using this technique with no resulting tiresome issues.

Often, I tend to use the Canon as just a hand held bino and not engage the IS. My finger tip hold is still very valuable to reduce fatigue and maintain a steady hold, but then I figure, why fight it. IS engaged frees up any thoughtful stability issues and the resulting resolution details (>10X50SV) are simply Amazing.

Ergonomically (and somewhat optically), the Swaro has the Canon beat by a mile. But since my holding style is a little unorthodox, I find it assist in virtually any power glassing venues to minimize shake and fatigue! Not for everyone, but works for me! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
It's almost a joke amongst my friends and family but I don't leave the house without a baseball cap. It stops glare, especially with glasses, it prevents sunburn, since I'm balding, and yes indeed you can hook a couple fingers over the bill and steady the binoculars as well as stopping glare from the side. It works. Give it a try.

Mark

Mark I agree with you 100%!!! Even when not using binoculars I wear a bill hat outside, helps you see better in the daytime. Get a trekking pole, I am sure that would help, but something else to carry.

The advice regarding caps with bills doesn't apply to the UK. I assume our American cousins are referring to caps with a peak?
It's bad enough seeing our cricket teams wearing baseball caps.
I think the Kangol flat cap designed in the UK but manufactured in China is readily available in the USA?
I must however admit to wearing baseball hats for birdwatching especially when the sun is low. My old BTO cap seems to give me some street cred.

Wow that's a lot of things to try out. This is why I really value this site. Thanks and I'm going to try most of these things. I just got a pair of Meopro 10x32 yesterday so the time is right. Now where's my baseball cap? Does the logo make any difference?

Assymetric handholds

Black crow

I wouldn't call assymetric handholds the 'Secret to a steady hold' of a binocular, but according to the design of your binocular, an assymetric handhold might be a method of holding a 10x binocular that personally you find steadying.

Here's Bill Cook's twopennyworth (Post #52) from a thread entitled '8x vs 10x'!:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=319277&page=3

'Here’s one for those using the larger raptor-in-the-crags binos. When I introduced this at a Celestron convention, you would have thought I invented optical glass:

Using BOTH hands, hold ONLY ONE telescope as far out as possible on the objective bell. Pretend it’s the only one you have; I put it in front of my dominant (left) eye and let the other bell/barrel/telescope rest upon the back of my other (right) wrist. Slight pressure will hold the telescope into your eye socket; remember the other telescope does not exist.

Many observers find this more comfortable, providing better balance, and being considerably more stable.'

I have adopted the essential principles of the method to evolve a suitable handhold for a more modest 10x42 porro as opposed to the large binoculars that Bill Cook was referring to:
* Hold and direct the binocular by the end of the barrel of the dominant eye (right in my case)
* Additionally support and focus the binocular by the other barrel.

But I also when scanning or observing sometimes seek greater steadiness by using Bill Cook's handhold too.

I attach photos of the two handholds, Bill Cook's first, mine second.

Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_2554-800x600.jpg
    IMG_2554-800x600.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2546-800x600.jpg
    IMG_2546-800x600.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 40
Wow that's a lot of things to try out. This is why I really value this site. Thanks and I'm going to try most of these things. I just got a pair of Meopro 10x32 yesterday so the time is right. Now where's my baseball cap? Does the logo make any difference?

Black Crow,
Enjoy the new binoculars, and keep us posted on what grip seems to give you the most stable view. I do use the baseball cap approach myself with an 8x42 and find it effective. Useful while waiting for the Woodpecker or Nuthatch to emerge from behind the pine cone or branch way up in the tree for a better look. The only drawback for me is that I can't focus at the same time, as the focuser is under the bill of the cap.

I may try some of the other techniques that have been described. Good thread!

-Bill

Bill my only problem is I look like a Dork in most baseball caps. Maybe I'll put a bill on my stocking cap. I'll bet that would look really cool.

Today I tried Stephen's method and it really did help. I got some nice steady views. At 65 some days I shake more than others. Yesterday I had the shakes and not so much today.

Different Thinking!

Wow, that is a different thinking hold, and it seems it might work, I just put my hands up to my head like that (minus bins), and it felt steady. But...proof is in the pudding, so naturally I will give that a try, thank you!

I have come up with something that works for me often, and that is to place one thumb under the bin on the bridge of your nose as a steadier (the other thumb sits next to it), and grip the bottoms of the bins all around in a C fashion around the base with both hands, with that thumb bracing the bottom part on your nose. It works for me, maybe not for everyone, and interference from the straps are not considered, but can well make a difference too in comfort in longer periods of viewing.

OK, now I see there are a lot of other replies to read, so maybe I'll learn something else new that will work too. Good to ask questions, black crow, so all of us who are reading can learn new things too! Thanks for asking that question!

Bill my only problem is I look like a Dork in most baseball caps. .

So, you think all those bird calls are laughter directed at you? ;-)

Geez, when I go out with the camera on a quick release attached to a waist pouch with my bird book, wearing the harness with the binocs, the baseball cap is the least 'geek' aspect of my rig.

Besides the stability issue, I do have to say that the light blocking of the bill is quite useful as well.

Heck, put a stocking cap over the baseball cap...

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back