• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ-200 (1 Viewer)

Hi Niels, thanks for your comments, they are always helpful. You're correct in that the herons are both over exposed, especially on the white areas. I have noticed a tendency for the FZ200 to do that more that the FZ150. I think its because of the lower aperture allowing in more light. Its something I"ll have to watch when shooting any bird that had a reasonable amount of white on its body. The kingfishers look good in my opinion, or maybe a fraction dark. I'm attaching another shot, this time just from the FZ200 of a Blue Faced Honeyeater. I thinks its image quality is pretty good, although the whites are still a bit blown out.

Love the way the blue color shines!

Niels

Highlights

The highlights on the photo you shared are, to me, totally blown out. It was one of my main concerns with the FZ200. Sadly, I ended up sending it back for that reason, along with some very strange quirks when shooting in very low light indoors. I'm sure that it is the perfect camera for many, but not for myself! I'm glad you like it so much!

Hi Niels, thanks for your comments, they are always helpful. You're correct in that the herons are both over exposed, especially on the white areas. I have noticed a tendency for the FZ200 to do that more that the FZ150. I think its because of the lower aperture allowing in more light. Its something I"ll have to watch when shooting any bird that had a reasonable amount of white on its body. The kingfishers look good in my opinion, or maybe a fraction dark. I'm attaching another shot, this time just from the FZ200 of a Blue Faced Honeyeater. I thinks its image quality is pretty good, although the whites are still a bit blown out.

The highlights on the photo you shared are, to me, totally blown out. It was one of my main concerns with the FZ200. Sadly, I ended up sending it back for that reason, along with some very strange quirks when shooting in very low light indoors. I'm sure that it is the perfect camera for many, but not for myself! I'm glad you like it so much!

Hi Dale, I agree that the highlights were totally blown out, but I have had that experience with the FZ150 as well. I would be interested to know what quirks you are referring to with the FZ200 indoors in low light, as I might be doing some of that myself quite soon.

I still really like the camera, but I'm seriously struggling with over-exposing white. Look at the isolated patches of white on this Wigeon taken today.

Any general photography tips to help me?

Attachments

• wigeon05.jpg
    wigeon05.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 541
  • wigeon04.jpg
    wigeon04.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 340
  • wigeon03.jpg
    wigeon03.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 367
  • wigeon02.jpg
    wigeon02.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 314
  • wigeon01.jpg
    wigeon01.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 289
I still really like the camera, but I'm seriously struggling with over-exposing white. Look at the isolated patches of white on this Wigeon taken today.

Any general photography tips to help me?

I would try adjusting the exposure compensation value down a couple steps. That will make everything a little darker, which you should be able to adjust up, but will help keep the detail in the whites.

I would try adjusting the exposure compensation value down a couple steps. That will make everything a little darker, which you should be able to adjust up, but will help keep the detail in the whites.

He already dialled in -1 EV according to the EXIF data so I'd agree that if this is not enough there's something a bit weird about the camera. I notice the shots are on multi-metering mode. Maybe try spot metering?

Sean

He already dialled in -1 EV according to the EXIF data so I'd agree that if this is not enough there's something a bit weird about the camera. I notice the shots are on multi-metering mode. Maybe try spot metering?

Sean

I had overexposure problems with spot metering also - dialing in more than -1 EV was sometimes needed, and highlights would still blow out. I've set my FZ200 aside for a few weeks, but I see that a number of people have experienced problems with the FZ200, similar to those I saw (or worse). This thread has reinforced my impression that Panasonic has missed with this pricey bridge camera.

We just bought this camera for work - have always used the Lumix's but the 200 was simply irresistible. I'm the techno/ camera geek - my business partner just knows how to point and click. Once I set it up for birds he's got some amazing pictures on it, an absolutely amazing camera for the price given what you'd pay for a comparable DSLR. You can see some of his pics on his flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdbore/with/8093366912/#photo_8093366912

1 month with the FZ-200

OK, I've now had two of these cameras (lost one to a pickpocket or my own absentmindedness 2 days into my trip to Singapore), and here are my thoughts.

1. The autofocus is quite good and quite fast. The only negative is that it plays up from time to time and simply won't function properly, and this problem doesn't seem to be confined to very low-light shots. Luckily though, it does this pretty rarely.

2. Once you learn the controls (much like any other camera), it's quite easy to use and it's quite easy to get good shots in difficult circumstances.

3. The electronic viewfinder is quite useable, but obviously not in the same league as a dslr.

4. Exposure by spot-metering seems to do a fine job in most circumstances. Bracketing is easy to set and use.

5. The 12 frame/sec burst works and works well! I have not made extensive use of the 5.5 frames/sec burst with autofocus, but will assess that in future.

6. Image quality. A mixed bag; really good in bright light, sometimes not so good in low light situations. Much of the time the problem lies with trying to handhold the camera at slow shutter speeds in low light, but it's possible that the image comes out somewhat soft in low light even if the camera is steady. I'll follow up on this later. But if you have good light, you can achieve really nice quality images. At 12MP, you can't crop as far as some might like (a problem which may be exacerbated by the small sensor), but if you can use field craft to construct the image as you'd like it without the need to do much cropping, you can get very good results. Examples attached.

7. Unlike some folks here, I find the manual focus is actually usable, though again, not like a dslr. You just have to master the controls, and your subject can't be too flighty.

8. Given that acceptable images can be had, the convenience factor can't be overstated. I can add this thing to my field kit without adding any recognizable weight or inconvenience; I recommend the case that came with my second version. Once you get the hang of the controls, it'll be hard to beat as a record shot camera.

That's all I can think of at the moment; if you want some specific info, let me know.

cheers,
randy

Attachments

• P1030379 small.jpg
    P1030379 small.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 524
  • P1030034 small.jpg
    P1030034 small.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 423
  • P1030104 small.jpg
    P1030104 small.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 360
  • P1020020 small.jpg
    P1020020 small.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 463
  • P1030336 small.jpg
    P1030336 small.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 409
1 month with the FZ-200

OK, I've now had two of these cameras (lost one to a pickpocket or my own absentmindedness 2 days into my trip to Singapore), and here are my thoughts.

1. The autofocus is quite good and quite fast. The only negative is that it plays up from time to time and simply won't function properly, and this problem doesn't seem to be confined to very low-light shots. Luckily though, it does this pretty rarely and is usually pretty quickly fixed by focusing on something nearby your subject.

2. Once you learn the controls (much like any other camera), it's quite easy to use and it's quite easy to get good shots in difficult circumstances.

3. The electronic viewfinder is quite useable, but obviously not in the same league as a dslr.

4. Exposure by spot-metering seems to do a fine job in most circumstances. Bracketing is easy to set and use.

5. The 12 frame/sec burst works and works well! I have not made extensive use of the 5.5 frames/sec burst with autofocus, but will assess that in future.

6. Image quality. A mixed bag; really good in bright light, sometimes not so good in low light situations. Much of the time the problem lies with trying to handhold the camera at slow shutter speeds in low light, but it's possible that the image comes out somewhat soft in low light even if the camera is steady. I'll follow up on this later. But if you have good light, you can achieve really nice quality images. At 12MP, you can't crop as far as some might like (a problem which may be exacerbated by the small sensor), but if you can use field craft to construct the image as you'd like it without the need to do much cropping, you can get very good results. Examples attached.

7. Unlike some folks here, I find the manual focus is actually usable, though again, not like a dslr. You just have to master the controls, and your subject can't be too flighty.

8. Given that acceptable images can be had, the convenience factor can't be overstated. I can add this thing to my field kit without adding any recognizable weight or inconvenience; I recommend the case that came with my second version. Once you get the hang of the controls, it'll be hard to beat as a record shot camera.

That's all I can think of at the moment; if you want some specific info, let me know.

cheers,
randy

Attachments

• P1030034 small.jpg
    P1030034 small.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 166
  • P1030379 small.jpg
    P1030379 small.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 171
  • P1030104 small.jpg
    P1030104 small.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 158
  • P1020020 small.jpg
    P1020020 small.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 183
  • P1010958 small.jpg
    P1010958 small.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
And a few more pics

The woodswallow picture (the one with 3 birds, one with a spread wing) is a good example of the softness to be found in low light pics. Whether due to camera shake or sensor issues, I'm not sure.

Attachments

• P1020238 small.jpg
    P1020238 small.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 335
  • P1020130 small.jpg
    P1020130 small.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 519
  • P1030168 small.jpg
    P1030168 small.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 267
  • P1030252 small.jpg
    P1030252 small.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 291
  • P1030542 small.jpg
    P1030542 small.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 330
Shutter time of 1/125 on a long lens is really difficult to hold steady (the Woodswallow picture). I noticed this was with iso 200, have you tried increasing iso with the intent of getting shorter shutter times?

Niels

The woodswallow picture (the one with 3 birds, one with a spread wing) is a good example of the softness to be found in low light pics. Whether due to camera shake or sensor issues, I'm not sure.

Thanks for all your info on the FZ200. I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and have come to pretty much the same conclusions as you. The focus can be lightning fast, but sometimes it just won't focus at all on things you think would be a cinche for it, ie good light, bright subject etc. I am using video quite a bit, as we are on a trip, but the results from both the video and stills are outstanding.

There is a learning curve with this camera. Overall its very good in reasanable light. I now have it a couple of months and find im using it more often. Im using Ap priorty nearly all the time

P1090388.JPG

P1090385.JPG

P1090374.JPG

P1090368.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back