• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth ID help, Cornwall, UK (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

Can I people help ID or confirm my ID's for these?

1) Grey Arches
2) Uncertain
3) False Mocha or un-banded Riband Wave
4) Flame Carpet
5) Slender Pug, or is the photo too poor for ID.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• P1030579.jpg
    P1030579.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P1030669.jpg
    P1030669.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P1030741.jpg
    P1030741.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P1030647.jpg
    P1030647.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1030599.JPG
    P1030599.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 12
No 2 are both Vine's Rustic.
No 3 certainly isn't Riband Wave. I'm not familiar with False (or any other!) Mocha.

David

Thanks David, I can't believe I missed Vine's Rustic, I was staring at Uncertain & Rustic for ages, and managed to miss Vine's directly below it! A first for me though.

I think 3 might be a Clay Triple-lines now, possibly.

Thanks Rose, It does look like a Jersey Mocha, from a quick google search, it's not even illustrated in my guide though. I'll have to wait to see what others think though, as it's pretty rare!

Tom

Thanks Paul, that's great news about the Jersey Mocha, the rarest moth I've ever had, even beats the Waved Black I had the other week! Should I let the county recorder know?

Tom

Thanks Paul, that's great news about the Jersey Mocha, the rarest moth I've ever had, even beats the Waved Black I had the other week! Should I let the county recorder know?

Tom

Hi.

Here is the address of the Cornish moth recorder Leon Truscott

[email protected]

He was very helpful to me while I was trapping in the Saltash area last summer. As it happens, I made the same mistake in identifying my Jersey Mochas as False Mochas, and for the same reason as you...it wasn't in my first edition Lewington.

I caught the first Waved Black for Cornwall on the Isles of Scilly two summers ago; so I guess yours will be the second.

Best
graham

Hi.

Here is the address of the Cornish moth recorder Leon Truscott

[email protected]

He was very helpful to me while I was trapping in the Saltash area last summer. As it happens, I made the same mistake in identifying my Jersey Mochas as False Mochas, and for the same reason as you...it wasn't in my first edition Lewington.

I caught the first Waved Black for Cornwall on the Isles of Scilly two summers ago; so I guess yours will be the second.

Best
graham

Hi Graham,

I’ve sent it onto him now, thanks for that. Well done on getting the first Waved Black, I didn’t actually catch the Waved Black in Cornwall, i caught it in Plymouth - at work. I believe they have had a few records in Devon anyway but I’ve let the county recorder know.

I work shifts and when I’m in on nightshifts I leave the window open, and light on in the mess room and see what comes in. I’ve had 2 Waved Blacks in there this summer, and my first Old Lady last week, which was a real shock, as it would have gave me a black eye if I didn’t move quickly enough, it was so big!

Cheers,

Tom

Tom

Absolutely. The state of my environmental record keeping is poor - one of my regrets from a lack of time.....

http://www.cornwallmothgroup.org.uk/record.php

I am aware that it is considered to be resident in Cornwall now though I've not trapped for it myself.

All the best

Hi Paul,

I haven’t started keeping records yet, but I will start now... I hope. I’m only just getting to grips with ID though, So it takes me even longer. Although, I don’t catch a lot (between 5-15 per night) as I only have a little home made trap which I put out on my balcony, as I don’t have much of a garden. Still, it’s surprising what I’ve caught between here and my messroom at work!

Do you mind having a look at No.1 for me also?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi Graham,

I’ve sent it onto him now, thanks for that. Well done on getting the first Waved Black, I didn’t actually catch the Waved Black in Cornwall, i caught it in Plymouth - at work. I believe they have had a few records in Devon anyway but I’ve let the county recorder know.

I work shifts and when I’m in on nightshifts I leave the window open, and light on in the mess room and see what comes in. I’ve had 2 Waved Blacks in there this summer, and my first Old Lady last week, which was a real shock, as it would have gave me a black eye if I didn’t move quickly enough, it was so big!

Cheers,

Tom

The Waved Black I had on Scilly came into my bedroom light and landed on the ceiling. I think I was vaguely aware there were more Waved Black records just across the Tamar in Devon. I get to claim a county first for the sake of 2-3 miles or so!

Is it relatively recent? I would be inclined to call it Cabbage Moth and you can see a spur on the right front foreleg on the first segment.

All the best

The Waved Black I had on Scilly came into my bedroom light and landed on the ceiling. I think I was vaguely aware there were more Waved Black records just across the Tamar in Devon. I get to claim a county first for the sake of 2-3 miles or so!

That's funny, I've only ever seen one, it was here in Russia and it was on our bedroom ceiling!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back