Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Willow warbler, North of Stockholm, Sweden

Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 14:28   #1
Claudia

Willow warbler, North of Stockholm, Sweden

Hi everybody,

I am really confused, but I heard what sounded like a singing willow warbler today north of Stockholm, near a lake called Råstasjön. I unfortunately never saw the bird and it only sang once, a short vers.

I realize that this is very unlikely. We saw a treecreeper close by, so one explanation might be that it was a treecreeper singing that sounded a lot like a willow warbler? When I compare them on my bird song CD they don't sound too much alike, though. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Or is there yet another bird that sounds like willow warbler which is more likely to be found here right now?

Or, finally, do you think it is possible that also willow warblers could follow the trend of other birds like blackbirds, robins, hedge accentors (...) and gradually migrate less when winters get warmer?

I'd be very grateful for comments
/Claudia
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 16:04   #2
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

A singing Willow Warbler at this time of year in Sweden is very very unlikely. Chaffinches have a descending song which could be thought similar - it's a fruitier, fuller voice but the journey down the scale is quite like a willow warbler. Chaffinches are just starting to sing already here. Try listening to that to compare?

Graham

EDIT: Sample song here - this sounds a littler quicker than average to me. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...inch/index.asp

Last edited by bitterntwisted : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 16:07.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 17:00   #3
Claudia

Hi and thanks for your answer.

As far as I remember, the song I heard was far too soft for a chaffinch and it also lacked the typical flourish at the end. I think I can exclude chaffinch.

/Claudia

Last edited by Claudia : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 17:02.
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 17:12   #4
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

One species that often gets me going for a moment when the first willow warblers are back is blue tit, doesn't really sound alike if you're listening properly, but often I don't!
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 19:00   #5
Claudia

Hi Nick,
thanks for your comment and well, there were blue tits around, that's for sure.

If you are talking about the typical blue tit's song, this "diii diiii di di dududududududu" (you know what I mean?), then I know that this is not what I heard at that point (but very often today otherwise).

By now I went through many different blue tit calls/songs and there was nothing that sounded like what I heard today... ???

But anyway - I already learnt a lot today! By now I am leaning towards the treecreeper's song as source of confusion. Although I once believed I could tell them apart.

/Claudia
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 23:52   #6
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
Hi Nick,
thanks for your comment and well, there were blue tits around, that's for sure.

If you are talking about the typical blue tit's song, this "diii diiii di di dududududududu" (you know what I mean?), then I know that this is not what I heard at that point (but very often today otherwise).

By now I went through many different blue tit calls/songs and there was nothing that sounded like what I heard today... ???

But anyway - I already learnt a lot today! By now I am leaning towards the treecreeper's song as source of confusion. Although I once believed I could tell them apart.

/Claudia
Willow Tit has a descending song that can catch you out if you haven't heard it before. But it's much less soft than a Treecreeper I think. I don't know either whether it's too early in the year.

Cheers.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2008, 16:23   #7
Claudia

Hello hello,

I think we solved the problem - it seems like it must have been a treecreeper. Apparently there is one around there that sounds much like a willow warbler.

Well - you never stop learning... :-)

Cheers
Claudia
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: