• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uganda birding and mammaling (1 Viewer)

M Collard

Hi all,

I am trying to arrange a trip to bird and also got for chimp's and gorilla's. I have emailed two birding companies a couple of weeks ago with no response.

I wonder if anybody can provide any recommendations; for various reasons I need to get it moving; so far there is my wife and I only but we are hoping we can get two more to make it a compact group

We are aiming to go this Jan/ Feb for work and other reasons.

Thanks/ Mike

Hi Mike.

We did a birding and hiking tour in Uganda two years before. Maybe this company would help you http://www.accessugandatours.com/

It's managed by Hassan Mutebi. He and his brother, Joseph, are some of the best (if not the best) birding guides of Uganda. Both are professional, personable and responsible.

Good luck,

Vicente.

Speaking from personal experience I wouldn't recommend Herbert - just too many clashes and we all felt he just didn't do enough for us and we ended up wasting alot of time

Uganda

Thanks all for the really helpful information; shame about the ones which did not work out.

I will update you when if I get a response from the others I have mailed as to who I decide to go with; but now looking at the possibility to going without a guide.

Best/ Mike

We are booked with www.exodus.co.uk in February. The itinerary is Kigali-Ruhengeri-Bunyoni-Kampala-Jinja-Eldoret-Nakuru-Naivasha-Masai Mara-Nairobi. Not a birding company - really an adventure company - but I intend to get out a bird as much as I can! SBM

We have been and had an amazing 10 days birding and mammaling; Gorilla's were sensational; words cannot describe the hour we spent with them; a huge huge Python was another highlight in QE Park; Chimps were wonderful; too much to mention but thanks to Hassan we managed about 275 species of birds, which Hassan was disappointed about; the views of Shoebill at Murchison were distant; weather was not so good and the Gorilla trek was on the worst day of the lot.

But a lovely safe country and I even managed to convert a few Ugandans to supporting my team as I jammed in on City beating Chelski; managed to get a few singing Blue Moon near the end; great stuff

Thanks again for all the help

Mike Collard

We have been and had an amazing 10 days birding and mammaling; Gorilla's were sensational; words cannot describe the hour we spent with them; a huge huge Python was another highlight in QE Park; Chimps were wonderful; too much to mention but thanks to Hassan we managed about 275 species of birds, which Hassan was disappointed about; the views of Shoebill at Murchison were distant; weather was not so good and the Gorilla trek was on the worst day of the lot.

But a lovely safe country and I even managed to convert a few Ugandans to supporting my team as I jammed in on City beating Chelski; managed to get a few singing Blue Moon near the end; great stuff

Thanks again for all the help

Mike Collard

Will you write a trip report Mike?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back