• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (2 Viewers)

Hi Tony

That's a lovely place you're going to.

The Sky-Birds website should give you lots of info on the range of birds you're likely to see in the area and also try a PM to Stewart J. who knows that part very well.

D

I went out walking today around Glen Cononish, Tyndrum. The weather was really changeable, one minute sunshine, the next heavy rain. It was more of a walking trip than a birding trip, but I was still keeping my eye out as usual for any sightings.

Got my first sighting of a Wheatear, last year's first record was 26 April, so I'm really happy to get this much earlier sighting.

Other birds of note in the area were lots of Common Buzzards around Loch Lomond on the drive up, Chaffinch (loads of them everywhere), Hooded Crow, Jackdaw, Meadow Pipit, Dipper in a mountain stream (I was in the shadow of Ben Lui, still snow-bound for most of it above 400m, which is often called the Queen of Scottish Mountains) and the mountain and much of the land around is a national nature reserve, it is a true mountain environment, so great to see the Dipper and Wheatear in such a wild place.

There are remnants of the old Caledonian forest in this glen, this is fenced off to protect it and encourage regeneration, and it looked like it will be a richer resource for birds and other animals than much of the forestry nearby. Black Grouse are in the area, but no sign of them.

I saw a caterpillar as well, but have no idea what species it was.

When I got back home, saw a Siskin in my garden, surprised myself when I realised this is my first of the year, they're usually in my garden regularly.

Further to my message yesterday, I don't have any photos of birds I saw, but I've put some pics up on my flickr page of the area I was:

Glen Cononish and Ben Lui in the background, its snow-bound summit underneath some ominous looking cloud, this shows the stream where the Dipper was seen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25921513@N00/4467857852/

Ben More and Stob Binnein a little further south still looking fantastic with their envelope of snow on the summits: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25921513@N00/4467856834/

I took a trip to the RSPB's Baron's Haugh reserve near Motherwell today. Unusually for me I didn't set out until about noon, I normally prefer to go out birding really early.

As soon as I stepped out of the car, I heard a Common Buzzard overhead. I then headed down the hill towards the reserve. Plenty of Chaffinches around, including some pottering around some muddy puddles - they didn't seem bothered by my presence and just carried on what they were doing only a few feet away from me.

I walked on a short distance to the first hide and heard one of the best sounds of spring - a singing Chiffchaff! My first of the year and it was showing really well. Unfortunately couldn't get my camera ready in time for a picture. I heard a few others at other parts of the reserve too. Settled down in the hide and was pleased to see around 20 Sand Martins flying over the water, another first for the year.

Spring has well and truly arrived at the reserve, some flowers coming up, a few leaves starting to appear on trees, and I had a couple of Bumblebees buzzing past my ear. I also saw a butterfly, but it past by too quickly and behind a tree to get a good look at it.

Not too much happening on the water - usual Coots, Moorhens, Mallards, Grey Heron, Teal, Lesser Black-backed Gull.

As I walked alongside the River Clyde, a couple of Goosanders came flying past. I'm looking forward to a bit later in the summer when there will be other warblers in this stretch of the reserve including Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler.

No sign of the Nuthatches that nested last year, but again I'm hoping to see them later in the year. I spoke to a guy who said he watched a bat flying around in broad daylight - there are bat-boxes around the reserve.

A part of the path had been washed away after our bad winter and this also meant one of the hides was inaccessible. There was no sign of the Sand Martins using their nesting area on the bank of the Clyde yet, but hopefully it won't be long until they do.

Paid a visit to Lochwinnoch this morning in the hope of seeing my first Swallow of the year. No such luck, but did get three new ones for the year. First one was identified by sound, the melancholic song of the Willow Warbler, soon followed by the repetitive song of the Chiffchaff.

There were quite a few of the Willow Warblers along the trail. Also nearby, my second year bird of the day, was a male Blackcap, my first sighting in a couple of years. Then while sitting in one of the hides I just happened to look up (I had been hearing a nearby Common Buzzard calling) only to see a magnificent female Hen Harrier fly over - just pure luck, if I hadn't craned my head that little bit then I would have missed it. Again this was my first time in two years for these birds, which is surprising as Lochwinnoch is one of the hotspots for them due to them nesting in the moorland up above. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see a male this year too.

Unusually there were lots of Greylag Geese on the reserve including some swimming on the water - they're normally only seen in the farmland surrounding the reserve, but there were plenty of sheep with new lambs in them, so perhaps the geese were chased out by the sheep.

The reserve had very few people in it for most of the day, much to my satisfaction. Plenty of bees around and a few butterflies too. Also saw loads of toads swimming about in the water, some obviously in mating ritual.

I live reasonably close to Barons Haugh and get down there once or twice a month. Its a good place for birds and in the last 2 weeks the place has come alive. Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers are numerous and the numbers of Sand Martins are building. There is a pair of Nuthatches nesting - I saw them taking pine flakes into the hole at the weekend.

If you're not already aware of it, check http://www.baronshaugh.talktalk.net/Up-to-date wildlife sightings.htm for recent sightings. Its usually updated twice a week.

Are the Nuthatches back nesting next to the old building (now flats), just at the gate leading into the woods? That's where I saw them last year, I was there a week and a bit ago, but didn't have any luck seeing them then.

I took a trip to Baron's Haugh this morning. Glorious weather all day.

On getting out of the car, was greeted by a singing Chiffchaff. Then as I walked down the hill towards the hides, saw a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Nothing unusual on the water today, but a few Gadwall, Goosander, Goldeneye amongst others. A couple of Long-tailed Tits landed in the hedge just in front of the hide. Common Buzzards as usual an ever present, with two visible for most of my time in the hides.

Willow Warblers also showing very well today and in good song. I accidentally spooked a couple of Goosanders on the river, but this put a Common Sandpiper, a first for the year, to flight which I would not have seen otherwise.

I got a shock at one point of my visit. I was walking along the path slowly with my hands up holding my bins, when a Bullfinch came and landed on my hand for a millisecond before flying up into a tree above. I have no idea what it was up to, perhaps flew into me by accident.

I got another year first, a couple of nesting Nuthatches. Good to see them again, I think this is the second or third year there's been Nuthatches here, so it's good they're getting a good toe-hold in this part of Scotland, and hopefully will spread out to other areas.

I watched a flock of around 100 Sand Martins while I was on the bank above them, it was a thrill to have them flying to closely around me, with a couple of Swallows with them too.

Got a total of 44 species of birds, but 3 species of butterfly too - Peacock, Green-veined White and Small Tortoiseshell. I'm trying to become an all-rounder when out and about, hoping to get better at identifying other animals including insects, as well as plants.

I got a shock at one point of my visit. I was walking along the path slowly with my hands up holding my bins, when a Bullfinch came and landed on my hand for a millisecond before flying up into a tree above. I have no idea what it was up to, perhaps flew into me by accident.

No accident my friend, picked up on your non-threating vibe !

Has there been a BF topic on 'birds that have landed on me' ?

I have had a Redstart on my nose, whilst lying down, and Goldcrest perch on me (both Fair Isle).

Cheers G

Sounds like a good day at the haugh and I'm glad you managed to see the Nuthatches. I'm hoping to get down at the weekend to try and see the Common Sandpipers (apparently there's a couple about), but I'll have to see how things go.

I saw a Common Sandpiper on the other side of the river. It was just past the area where part of the path has collapsed after the bad weather we had, at the hide on the far side of the reserve.

No accident my friend, picked up on your non-threating vibe !

Has there been a BF topic on 'birds that have landed on me' ?

I have had a Redstart on my nose, whilst lying down, and Goldcrest perch on me (both Fair Isle).

Cheers G

Ha ha!

Was the Goldcrest trying to carry you away for its dinner? :)

I saw a Common Sandpiper on the other side of the river. It was just past the area where part of the path has collapsed after the bad weather we had, at the hide on the far side of the reserve.

Cheers for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out round that area. btw, that hide is known as the Centenary Hide:t:

Had a walk at the Falls of the Clyde this lunchtime. I hadn't been before and I was a little disappointed with the birdlife about. The river held a couple of mallards and a Pied Wagtail, but nothing else. A few tits about in the woods, but nothing unexpected.

Having said that, it was obviously worth the effort to see the Peregrines. The male was showing particularly well on a ledge and then later on perched on a tree. In between he attempted to take over the incubating from the female, but she was having none of if.

I suppose I'll go back later in the year when the young are being fed, but unless I've missed something or got my timing wrong, the Peregrines were the only birds of interest to venture back for.

I paid a visit to Inversnaid today. I knew there was a chance of rain, but it barely stopped raining for the whole time I was there.

I was out hoping to see Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts, both of which were reported here in the past week, but no sign of them today. Quite a disappointing day really, with no new birds for the year and only a handful of birds to be seen, highlights were Willow Warbler and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Upland areas can be really hit or miss, and today was definitely a miss. Quite disappointing considering what a long drive it is to get there.

I had a quick walk round Barons Haugh yesterday (Sat) afternoon, looking for the Common Sandpipers. Sadly, no joy, but a few Tufteds on the haugh, a few Goosander on the river, a couple of Buzzards soaring overhead, a great view of a Grey Heron flying low over the river, Willow Warblers were everywhere, Chiffchaffs in song at numerous places and lots of Coal Tits flying into the holes in the wall on the road back up to the car park.

Swallows have increased in numbers over the river, as have the Sand Martins who are mainly nesting near the Easter Braes this year.

However, the highlight for me was the Sedge Warbler near the Phoenix Hide. I couldn't ID it at the time, but thanks to folk on here in the ID forum, I found out what it was. A lifer for me!

Same here

I went up there on Wednesday, for the first time hoping for the same thing, pied flycatchers, saw great tits and chaffinches! Also I think willow warblers rather than chiff chaffs, but definitely not wood warblers.
On the way home did a bit better at the mouth of Endrick between Balmaha and Drymen. Wheatear, meadow pipits, skylarks, loads of sand martins, shovelers, canada geese, tufted ducks, mallards, swallows, which along with swifts and house martins and a cuckoo from the car, meant I'd had a pretty spring day. Stopped on the road at Stockiemuir to watch the black grouse. So a disappointing start, but a pretty good end.

I paid a visit to Inversnaid today. I knew there was a chance of rain, but it barely stopped raining for the whole time I was there.

I was out hoping to see Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts, both of which were reported here in the past week, but no sign of them today. Quite a disappointing day really, with no new birds for the year and only a handful of birds to be seen, highlights were Willow Warbler and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Upland areas can be really hit or miss, and today was definitely a miss. Quite disappointing considering what a long drive it is to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back