• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama bird guides (1 Viewer)

Reg et al

I'm off to Panama next month for a bit of an exploratory holiday but do hope to get some time bird watching - Pipeline Road is one of the places earmarked. I already have the Howell & Webb book on birds of Mexico and also one for Venezuela ( Hilty ). They are both quite heavy and so I'd rather only take one. Any suggestions which or should I go for a specific Birds of Panama?

Cheers

Peter

Reg et al said:
I'm off to Panama next month for a bit of an exploratory holiday but do hope to get some time bird watching - Pipeline Road is one of the places earmarked. I already have the Howell & Webb book on birds of Mexico and also one for Venezuela ( Hilty ). They are both quite heavy and so I'd rather only take one. Any suggestions which or should I go for a specific Birds of Panama?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, the 2nd Paperback Edition of 'A Guide to the Birds of Panama (with Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Honduras)' is very good for the resident species, (and contains a useful regional checklist).

Due to the timing of your visit you might want to add the Sibley US guide for all of those migrants you are likely to bump into, it contains good 1st winter and female illustrations too.

Hope this helps, Cheers

ANDY

Guide for Panama birds

Hola Peter,

Glad you will be visiting this tropical paradise we call home.

The standard field guide for birding in Panama is Ridgely and Gwynne´s
"A Guide to the Birds of Panama" (1992)
The information they provide on the Panamanian distribution of each species and notes on telling similar species apart is quite helpful.

On the other hand this book only illustrates a few of the more than 972 different species currently reported for Panama, it especially lacks illustration for most of the more than 120 migrant species, and contains only black drawings for many other species.

I have recently acquired a book just published by Princeton called
"Birds of Mexico and Central America" by Ber van Perlo.

Even though the illustrations are small and are not all that much detailed, they do portray every single bird from Mexico to Panama, including all endemic birds, all warblers, raptors both perched and in flight, as well as a couple of plumage variations.

All of these combined with a compact size, equate to a extremely useful reference in the field.

Hope you find this information interesting, and please don´t hesitate contacting us if you shall have any additional inquiries about birding in Panama.

Warm regards,
Guido

Guido C. Berguido
Biologist - Operations Manager
Advantage Tours Panama
"Adventures in nature with the local Advantage"

P.O. Box 0801-00051
Republic of Panama
Tel. 011-507-6676-2466
fax: 011-507-221-9246
e.mail: [email protected]
web: www.advantagepanama.com

Guido's suggestions sound good. Although Howell and Webb is an excellent guide for northern Central America, it will be little use to you in Panama. It will only really be of use in learning certain groups before you go, such as the raptors, which it does particularly well and which are mostly pretty widespread in the region.

Tom

I am on the lookout for best books for Panama and Cuba. Are Howell and Webb and van Perlo books also good for Cuba?

Zarac

Neither would be much use for Cuba except for some of the comoner species. By far the best book to Cuba is 'Birds of the West Indies' by Raffaele, Wiley, Garrido, Keith and Raffaele. I also took 'Birds of Cuba' by Garrido and Kirkconnel. This book is nowhere near as good for identification, but it has detailed range maps for Cuba and more detailed information on each species in the country.

Tom

Last edited:
How about a "Where to find birds in Panama" ? is A Bird-finding Guide to Panama (Paperback) by George Angehr (Author), Dodge Engleman (Author), Lorna Engleman (Author) the one to get?

and also, there was very recently a new book for Costa Rica that came out; is it worth to bring that one in the suitcase on a Panama trip?

thanks
Niels

I don't know the Panama site guides. I think that the new guide to Costa Rica (Garrigues and dean) would be very good for a Costa Rica trip, but probably not as useful for outside the country as the old Costa Rica guide by Stiles and Skutch. The new guide has better plates and maps for Costa Rica, making it useful to use in the country. However, it contains much less information about each species than Stiles and Skutch, so is probably less useful in neighbouring countries.

Tom

Thanks for the answers and opinions given by everyone above. I found out that Amazon have the "Where to ..." book set for release on december 24, too late for me. I did however, order the Ridgely field guide and the Emmons mammal guide, because other sources (not Amazon!) indicated that the tropical central america was covered here, and I expect to get to south america proper at a later time. Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive.

thanks
Niels

The Panama Audubon Society's "Where to find birds in Panama" is a great site guide for those who are considering going birding on their own in Panama. Very clear descriptions of how to get to almost all good birding spots, as well as lists of what species you may encounter.

Niels, I understand you're planning to go out on your own, so I would definitely advise getting that one if you still can.

Cedric

Do you think it is available in Panama once I am there, for example from Gamboa Rainforest resort or from Canopy Tower's shop? (assuming they have one).

thanks
Niels

Having just returned from Canopy Tower, their shop did not have any bird books that we noticed. We took 'Birds fo Costa Rica' with us. Although this does not have all the birds in it (notably the endemics!), we still found it useful as it is more portable than the Panama guide (a copy of which is in both the Tower and the Lodge) The guides seemed quite impressed with the pictures in the guide - one did comment about wishing a similar version was being done for Panama!
Tony
PS Both the Tower and Lodge were excellent, many good birds

They may have it in Gamboa Rainforest Resort's gift shop. You can definitely get it in the visitor center of the Metropolitan Nature Park (Parque Metropolitano) near Panama City, and probably also in the Smithsonian's bookstore in Ancon near the Canal Administration Building. To be sure, email the Panama Audubon Society at [email protected].

Having just returned from Canopy Tower, their shop did not have any bird books that we noticed. We took 'Birds fo Costa Rica' with us. Although this does not have all the birds in it (notably the endemics!), we still found it useful as it is more portable than the Panama guide (a copy of which is in both the Tower and the Lodge) The guides seemed quite impressed with the pictures in the guide - one did comment about wishing a similar version was being done for Panama!
Tony
PS Both the Tower and Lodge were excellent, many good birds

As far as I know, Robert Dean (CR book illustrator) will do/is doing the artwork for a similar Panama version, so hopefully the new guide will come out in the near future.
Cheers
Eduardo

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back