• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I saw something that blew my mind! (2 Viewers)

ReneeRipp1

I’m new to this, this is my first post. I live in California and I have always been intrigued by birds. I am especially drawn to Ravens. I had an incredible experience the other day, which prompted me to seek out this forum with fellow bird lovers. So here is what I saw...

I was standing outside and out of the corner of my eye I saw a couple of Ravens flying close to me but up above. So I looked up and I saw the one Raven had something that looked like a large seed in its beak. It was a little smaller than a ping pong ball. So it was flying through the air with it, and it let go of the seed mid-flight and swooped down the catch it. Then, it threw the seed up in the air, and flew up to catch it. It was playing in the air!!! It was like he was showing off and the other Raven was flying next to him trying to get the seed!

It was honestly the coolest thing I have ever seen. I had no idea that Ravens played like that, it looked like it was for pure entertainment. I’m wondering if there are other people in here who are interested in the behavior or Ravens, and if they can tell me if this is a common behavior, or did I see something super rare. Thanks for reading!

Well I can tell you that in my 20 plus years of watching birds, I have never seen something like this. Birds make me smile. This would have brought about a laughing hysteria with me. ;)

Hi there Renee and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello and share your sighting of the Ravens. Please join in wherever you like ;)

I’ve never seen that, what a great thing to see. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your responses! Yes I feel very lucky to have witnessed that, I’ve been telling people about it but not everyone is so intrigued by bird behavior, so I thought I’d come to a place where everyone is a bird lover. Glad I found this forum! Is there a section that focuses on Ravens?

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Ravens are considered to be the cutest birds. The scientists find them to be very clever. I know that they crack walnuts throwing them at the front of cars and pick them up watching the traffic lights when the cars stop!!!

I've seen seagulls 'perform' for tourists in Cornwall, UK. I was feeding bits of my Cornish pasty to one on the cliffs once and it followed the bit of pasty going over the 150 foot drop by stopping flying altogether, just plummeting downwards like a stone in a seeming death stunt, until it reached the exact same point as the falling bit of pie, then pecking it out of the air with pinpoint accuracy at that exact moment and extending its wings again to resume flight. Very acrobatic.

Cornish seagulls can spot a bird loving tourist a mile away and will play up to the role in return for a feed though there has been a problem recently as they will aggressively dive bomb unsuspecting tourists eating open bags of fish & chips, grab a beakful (often the whole fish), and be gone in a shot...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back