• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-rumped Sandpiper (1 Viewer)

RecoveringScot

Given the recent occurrence of a flock of 11 birds on the Outer Hebrides (I was excited beyond belief to see 1 in the 70s) what are the odds of this bird having a first breeding for the Western Palaearctic soon (unless it already has and I've missed it). Presumably at least some of these birds will carry on moving south within Europe and Africa and will return in the spring?

Potential, but I'd think more likely they're setting up a regular transatlantic migration, like the many other waders & wildfowl that breed in NE Canada & Greenland and winter in NW Europe :t:

Given the recent occurrence of a flock of 11 birds on the Outer Hebrides (I was excited beyond belief to see 1 in the 70s) what are the odds of this bird having a first breeding for the Western Palaearctic soon (unless it already has and I've missed it).

There is a record of a displaying male, and an attendant female on Bjornoya island in Svalbard in June 2005. I don't think that breeding was proven nor repeated, but I cant find an english account of the sighting on the web and the norwegian annual report is brief (and in norwegian).

There is a record of a displaying male, and an attendant female on Bjornoya island in Svalbard in June 2005. I don't think that breeding was proven nor repeated, but I cant find an english account of the sighting on the web and the norwegian annual report is brief (and in norwegian).

Thank you! It must have had a Birding World or similar mention at some point. It had nagged my memory since this thread was posted but I failed to find the record despite searching.

All the best

Thank you! It must have had a Birding World or similar mention at some point. It had nagged my memory since this thread was posted but I failed to find the record despite searching.

All the best

Not got BB to hand but do I recall a mention in the Rares issue species account?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back