• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus up for sale (1 Viewer)

If I was only using a camera for family photos and I was 20, I would likely go with a phone as well. It takes time to realize that the wide-angle lenses on most of these are enlarging noses and diminishing ears if the person is looking straight at you. For bird photos, phone photography just will not cut it. As such, I am a member of a dying race, just as the previous poster was referring to T.rex.

Niels

If I was only using a camera for family photos and I was 20, I would likely go with a phone as well. It takes time to realize that the wide-angle lenses on most of these are enlarging noses and diminishing ears if the person is looking straight at you. For bird photos, phone photography just will not cut it. As such, I am a member of a dying race, just as the previous poster was referring to T.rex.

Niels

There are still many photography enthusiasts out there for whom the equipment is part of the enjoyment of the hobby so there will always be a market for 'proper' cameras.

The big problem for manufacturers now, though, is the fact that modern cameras are so good there's no need to upgrade every year or so to the latest model. Unless they come up with something radically different in both camera and lens design, then something will have to give way. A fully functioning global shutter will certainly be a big advance and will also make the mechanical shuter redundant - but that will just mean cameras last even longer than now!

Just tripped over a stegosaurus,

Cameras lasting a long time was the norm before digital crept in. My 1954 Leica M3 is still a viable photographic item. Before the digital revolution, cameras seemed to last forever.

My OM1s might have had a problem when mercury batteries were phased out, but Olympus brought out a conversion kit to take silver cells that their service agents fitted the next time your camera was serviced. So my earliest OM had about a 30 year life, taken all together over that time I had acquired 3 OM-1s, 2 OM-2s and an OM4ti + a lot of lenses mostly second hand, but brought up to new standard at their first service. They went when I got my first E-1 kit.

For me the biggest difference was that people printed everything, in fact I did a lot of photo recovery work of stuff going back to glass plates from the 19th century. Now most folks don't bother and possibly future generations will have no idea what great granny looked like.

What does all this prove? Things change over time, I used to be able to buy scrap lenses and cameras and rebuild them - the same with cars. Modern manufacturing doesn't need consumers with much in the way of skills. Manufacturers even consider repair of expensive kit uneconomic in many cases.

The birding community has benefited from these technological advances and still has the tools it needs to carry on in its various forms, concentrating more on the birds and allowing more people greater access to useful tools, rather than the technology (unless it interests you).

We will survive whatever happens with Olympus, but I must admit I miss the horse that our grocer used to pull his cart of fruit and veg to sell at the door to his housewife customers in South London when I was little. The Tescos van is far less fun.

In those days, there were next to no cars around but smogs and pollution were worse and killed many more people every winter. The past does have its downsides as well. (Pity about Covid 19 - sort of destroys that argument!)

Last edited:
My original OM1 and OM1n bodies still seem to be OK mechanically but they probably need the light seals around the shutter and film back replacing to prevent fogging the film. Those 'Wien' zinc-air batteries seemed to work fine when I tried them but it's along time since I put a film through them, anyway.

The lenses work on my OM-D bodies via the Olympus adaptor albeit with manual focus, stop-down metering and 2x focal-length equivalence but they don't give me anything now that isn't covered by my M-Zuiko lenses. The 50mm F1.8 makes an excellent slide-viewing 'loupe' on a lightbox!

If you wear reading glasses all the time you tend to cause accidents, i.e. everything beyond the front of your car bonnet is pretty invisible.

That's normal as you get older. For those of us who have to wear glasses all the time, the answer is to have progressive lenses, the modern version of bi/trifocals. Or you can hang your reading glasses on a cord around your neck.

For bird photos, phone photography just will not cut it.

No, barely even for an id shot most of the time. Does it have to be that way? What's the longest focal length they could set onto a phone? I think they're up to 135mm equivalent, which means even more usable id shots. I've never used any over about 35mm, so 4 times that would surely help.

They're never going to be anywhere near what a bigger camera and long lens can do, but are they starting to eat into the birding photography market too? Or would they just give beginners a taste for something better?

No, barely even for an id shot most of the time. Does it have to be that way? What's the longest focal length they could set onto a phone? I think they're up to 135mm equivalent, which means even more usable id shots. I've never used any over about 35mm, so 4 times that would surely help.

They're never going to be anywhere near what a bigger camera and long lens can do, but are they starting to eat into the birding photography market too? Or would they just give beginners a taste for something better?

So far this would be my answer, although there has been threads here in BF about using phones held up to a scope for digiscoping.

Niels

So far this would be my answer, although there has been threads here in BF about using phones held up to a scope for digiscoping.

Niels
I think the other big point is that a phone is always on you and it doesn't require extra thought or effort to carry it.

I'm planning on a bit more of a dedicated setup with my next phone and a proper purpose built adapter for a set of 32mm say binoculars (or maybe a lightweight full size pair like Nikon's MHG). It still won't be any dedicated AF bird outfit though .....

I'm glad the 150-400 PRO lens will be coming out, but jeez, I think I'm gonna be more reluctant than ever to jump into the Olympus/M43 ecosystem (I think solid thought even needs to be given when considering getting any deeper in Nikon-world too atm .... much as I don't like to say that, because they are a dedicated high performance company .....)

As far as the new ownership structure at Olympus goes, I think it will go one of two ways ......
i) asset stripping and exploitation.
ii) a more nimble, focused company that will better navigate the computational photography landscape. Olympus's existing management were on the record saying that they had no intentions in that direction - so maybe this change can be for the best after all ..... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

As far as the new ownership structure at Olympus goes, I think it will go one of two ways ......
i) asset stripping and exploitation.
ii) a more nimble, focused company that will better navigate the computational photography landscape. Olympus's existing management were on the record saying that they had no intentions in that direction - so maybe this change can be for the best after all ..... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

While outcome ii would be great, afaik neither the buyer not the Olympus engineering team have any substantial understanding of or experience with computational photography. A third party would be needed to fill these gaps.
Firms such as Apple for one have these skills and of course could afford this with petty change, but what advantage is there for them to do so?

Niels
In other words, people carrying a scope don't need to carry a big camera.

On the other hand, I've heard people say that their big camera is now good enough that they don't need to carry a scope. Phones are eating into the camera market while cameras are eating into the scope market.

On the other hand, I've heard people say that their big camera is now good enough that they don't need to carry a scope. Phones are eating into the camera market while cameras are eating into the scope market.

You are quite right.
Birders always carry too much gear, as illustrated by binoculars, phone, camera and scope.
With a Nikon P1000, birders get a decent wide angle camera that also works pretty well as a 65mm aperture scope. Unfortunately not waterproof, but a reasonable way to cut weight and clutter.

I have told this before: I was in Ecuador when a raptor flew into a tree. I had my (back then) Pana GH2 with 100-300 over the shoulder, and got in two photos before it flew off. The guys with the scope had no chance getting the tripod in position before it was gone. Even though I could not see enough in the EVF, zooming in on the camera clearly showed a Hook-billed Kite - the only one I ever saw.

This weekend was a similar story: I was out with binocs and camera (now G85 and 100-400) and could not feel certain just looking in the bins but photo clearly showed Little Egret -- I believe first for me here in Barbados, and I have definitely not seen one within the last 1+1/2 year.

Niels

A couple more thoughts about why I like my phone camera. It geotags the photos, and it can upload them all to google photos before I even get home. Then I can clear the uploade photos off the phone with one command.

I can geotag photos from my cameras too using Garmin's Basecamp program if I make a gps track as I go, but it's several extra steps. My TZ80 lets me connect to wifi and upload photos, but from memory it changes the dates, and it doesn't tell me which ones I've uploaded and can delete from the camera. Much easier to conect via USB and do it the normal way.

I used to do digiscoping, first with compact cameras and later with the phone. Since I have a Panasonic G9 with the 100-400 lens, this has become obsolete for me. The reach of the m43 set-up is as good as the phone-digiscoping and the set-up is suffiently compact that I can take it along without hassle even if I bring my scope.

Also the camera with its good electronic view finder and digital zoom gives quite impressive magnification. Since I have that, I did not bother any more to lug a scope to mountain hikes. Still do for lake-side birding though.

Attachments

• a shot of new lens.jpg
    a shot of new lens.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 34
[On the other hand, I've heard people say that their big camera is now good enough that they don't need to carry a scope. Phones are eating into the camera market while cameras are eating into the scope market.[/QUOTE]

For identification purposes maybe; for the sheer pleasure of watching a bird no way! Not even vaguely close.

[On the other hand, I've heard people say that their big camera is now good enough that they don't need to carry a scope. Phones are eating into the camera market while cameras are eating into the scope market.

For identification purposes maybe; for the sheer pleasure of watching a bird no way! Not even vaguely close.[/QUOTE]

For the first time in at least twenty years I managed to leave my bins at home on a twitch the other day and I entirely endorse Steve's comments. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Lammergeier through my camera but even more appreciated the detail from a brief scope view afforded by a birder too robust-minded to worry about coronavirus when a fellow birder was panicking.

John

For the first time in at least twenty years I managed to leave my bins at home on a twitch the other day and I entirely endorse Steve's comments. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Lammergeier through my camera but even more appreciated the detail from a brief scope view afforded by a birder too robust-minded to worry about coronavirus when a fellow birder was panicking.

John

Did you have the camera on a tripod? That would make a big difference.

Where you are when approaching a bird makes a big difference. In forest the camera usually beats the scope because the bird might be gone before you get the scope on it. When overlooking mudflats with species that are used to being hunted, scope most of the time beats the camera. Given that I have mostly traveled to tropical areas (forest>mudflats), I have been happy bringing the camera and leaving the scope at home. (and I cannot remember which year I last was at a raptor watch place, around 2010?)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back