• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Guide Book (1 Viewer)

Dermot Breen

Hi guys

Which book is the better - Brian Rapoza's "Birding Florida" or Bill Pranty's "A Birder's Guide to Florida".
What are the maps like in both and do either give sat nav coordinates?

Dermot

Florida guidebook

Dermot,

We used In 2011, lots of detail and good maps, we had no problem finding any of the sites that we visited. The book doesn't have sat nav co-ordinates, you won't need them to get to the sites in the book, unless you're looking for a specific point within a reserve.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi guys

Which book is the better - Brian Rapoza's "Birding Florida" or Bill Pranty's "A Birder's Guide to Florida".
What are the maps like in both and do either give sat nav coordinates?

Dermot

We have an app that you can use to navigate to all 491 Great Florida Birding & Wildlife Trail guides. The app uses google maps and is free for both apple and android devices.

http://onthetrailmyfwc.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-use-trail-part-3-nature-viewing.html

You could also use our trip planning tool to find out which sites have the specialty species you are looking for.

https://public.myfwc.com/maps/birdtrip/

Both of these features would compliment Rapoza's or Pranty's guide.

I've only used Rapoza's guide, and while I think it is good, I found it often was lacking in info on what to do once you got to a site. E.g. it told you to go to Marathon Airport for Antillean Nighthawk or to a golf course for Burrowing Owl, but it didn't tell you where or how to look for those birds once you got to those locations. (I managed to see both birds, but it took some experimenting.)

Jim

We took both when we did Florida this April. They seem complimentary, in that Pranty has the better location maps and the phenograms whereas Rapoza has the bird maps and is much better at telling you what you might actually see at the sites. All in all it's a pretty easy place to find your way around and most of the birds aren't much trouble to find.
When they say Mangrove Cuckoo is hard though they ain't kidding around!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back