• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

JRE

Does anyone know if it'll be another good winter for Waxwings? I somehow managed to miss them during the 04-05 invasion, don't know how, but I did. I'd love to get them this winter though, any suggestions for where to look, etc.?
Thanks,
Jyothi

There have been reasonable numbers around Aberdeen over the past week but not too many elsewhere. Maybe if we get a cold blow from the east we might get a bit more of an influx. This'll probably happen at some stage but when is impossible to say. Whether any of them will get down to Devon is even less certain.

Hi Firecrest,

I've just had a look back through my records and, apart from the influx at the beginning of 2005, Waxwing can be extremely difficult to catch up with in Devon, in fact, I've heard it said cynically, that they don't seem to like crossing the M4! Your best bet would be to keep an ear to the ground and be prepared to twitch any individual birds that are found within travelling distance. For some reason, I seem to have more records for Taunton (at a housing estate next to the motorway) than anywhere.

The Wildlife in Devon Website is as good a source of info as anywhere.

Good luck

Ken

Andrew Whitehouse said:
There have been reasonable numbers around Aberdeen over the past week but not too many elsewhere.

I looked for them on Sunday without much luck, but as you say they have only really been around for the last week or so. Whenever we have had reasonable numbers recently (or a massive invasion like 2004) they have tended to appear earlier, in October. Don't know if this always holds true though.

Thanks, guys, oh well, end of the last gleam of hope. Only ever go east myself in the early autumn. Looks like a bogey bird for a few years now.:-C :-C |8(| |=(| |=@| |})| |!| :storm:

I think I was birding for around 17 years before I saw my first Waxwings. And nowadays I quite often see them on my way to work (although not so far this winter).

I din't see my first until I move to Edinburgh and i've seen them every year since. Always cheer me up on a cold winters day.

Took me almost 20 years & nearly missed out in the 04/05 invasion - finally saw 3 in March 05.

not seen one since - hope it doesn't take another 20 years!

Mike

The Firecrest said:
Looks like a bogey bird for a few years now.:-C :-C |8(| |=(| |=@| |})| |!| :storm:

I feel the same Firecrest! They did manage to cross the M4 in early 2005 and were with in spitting distance of me, but unfortunately I was unwell and never got to see them.

Hi Jyothi,

If we get another winter like the one before last (Jan 05) then keep a look out as they were down in Newton Abbot for a good while. The closest we had them was at Taunton, just off the M5 (or M4, my geography isn't like yours Wendy!). Another 8 years - if what they say is right, that we get great years around every 10 years then keep a look out! Not too long to wait!

Sue

While doing my first ever Breeding Bird Survey on April 15th 2005 for the Avon region, I amazingly saw seven Waxwings & only two minutes into the survey, got within a few yards of them, talk about beginners luck.

Rod.

interestingly, 3 possibles were reported in glamorgan the other day. surely it hasn't been cold enough to get any pushed over to this country yet?

The Firecrest said:
Possibles? I thought thay were unmistakable.

Unmistakable given a half decent view, but waxwings seen in a 'drive-by' situation, sillhouetted at the top of a tree are not necessarily very easy to tell from starlings. The crest is the easiest distinguishing feature in this situation.

Sue Wright said:
Hi Jyothi,

The closest we had them was at Taunton, just off the M5 (or M4, my geography isn't like yours Wendy!).

Sue

The reason I mentioned the M4 Sue, was because of the comment Kmonty had made about them being reluctant to cross the M4! ;) That lot in Taunton were by Sainsbury`s, weren`t they?....just off the M5 junction and enjoying the berries in the trees in the car park!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back