• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod (1 Viewer)

S Crisp

I'm travelling abroad in the near future and cannot 'afford' the weight of my Manfrotto 055XV tripod and 701RC2 head. What I really want to know is how stable a monopod would be for use with my Kowa TSN 824 Scope? Would I be wasting my money or should I look for a lighter tripod and head?

Thanks for any advice.

S Crisp,

when I use my Nikon ED50A I use a Manfrotto 079B (I think...) monopod with a side-bracket at the lower end to put my foot on. It is made from a bicycle bar-end. I have no video head but a medium-sized ballhead on top. This combination works extremely well for me and I consider it a lot steadier than my full-sized tripod.

Anyway, that tripod broke a while ago and I put another quick-release for the ball-head on my other scope, the not-so-heavy Pentax 65 mm.
But I find the combination with the larger scope unbalanced and awkward to use.
The scope is longer and heavier so I can't use the same grip as with the ED50A, although they are built in the same fashion.

A monopod is suitable for added support for digital SLRs and for binoculars, and for tiny scopes like the ED50A.
I would definitely not recommend it with an 82 mm scope. Consider getting a small scope, or can you use a high-mag binocular instead?

Good luck!

/L

S Crisp,

I use a Nikon ED50 with a monopod, but only for specific habitats. Like looksharp above, I think it works because the Nikon is short and light and I find it works best up to 20x magnification. 27x is often still very useable, 40x is still useable but only for a quick look. However, for any birding that involves standing for an extended period of time in one place e.g. scanning a reservoir, or a large flock of roosting waders I almost always take a tripod. I wouldn't even think about using my 80mm scope on a monopod. However, I suggest that my experience is no more or less valid than captaincarot's, because it all depends on where you personally draw the line between useable and unusable, and that has a lot to do with the type of birding you expect to do.

I therefore recommend that you take your scope to a "Field Day" (have a look at the In-Focus website for starters, but there are others) and try it out with a monopod before you buy one. If there are no convenient Field Days then your local Jessops and/or other camera shop is sure to have some monopods to try. If you can stand the embarrassment it's worth trying it outside the shop in daylight. Hopefully it will be a blustery day, which is your worst-case scenario, because theroretically a longer scope has more area to catch the wind, and more leverage for the wind to knock it about.

Regards

Mark

Monopod / Tripod

Thanks for advice. Assuming that I don't go with a monopod then which is the lightest tripod that will fully support my Kowa TSN 824?

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back