• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Wanted to do a trip to Scotland for autumn photography - lakes, reflections, mountains, lochs ....Possibly going some time next week......I live in Lancashire....what areas would you recommend within a 5 hour drive from here?

Good birding spots would be a plus with these locations.

If the weather is not nice then where in Europe would people recommend for nice autumn scenes and wildlife?

Thanks.

Delia is right and I can also recommend the Ardnamurchan peninsula with the fabulous Loch Sunart coast all the way to the famous lighthouse on the UK mainland's most western tip, and not to mention the Atlantic Oakwoods and hills (all mountains in Scotland are called hills). This would be a 5 hour drive to the Corran Ferry just south of Fort William and Ardnamurchan starts on the western side of the loch. Once visited you will want to go back.

Lee

I second Delia's Perthshire suggestion. Was actually meant to be headed out for some landscape photos this weekend but pal had to cancel. We would've headed for Kinnoull Hill just outside Perth for sunrise pics looking down the Tay then a quick stop at Dunkeld by the Tay, then continue up towards Pitlochry, stopping at the bridge over the River Garry between Killiecrankie & Pitlochry, then along to the Queen's View and possibly out along Loch Tummel and Loch Rannoch to Rannoch Station. Back along from there to Kinloch Rannoch/Tummel Bridge then south to Aberfeldy for a walk up the Birks O' Aberfeldy. If you're gonna be in the area anyway then you have the option of heading to Kenmore for sunset shots looking along Loch Tay.

Some from a day out
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stonefaction/albums/72157622710639960

a few others in this set from other outings -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stonefaction/albums/1545282

Delia is right and I can also recommend the Ardnamurchan peninsula with the fabulous Loch Sunart coast all the way to the famous lighthouse on the UK mainland's most western tip, and not to mention the Atlantic Oakwoods and hills (all mountains in Scotland are called hills). This would be a 5 hour drive to the Corran Ferry just south of Fort William and Ardnamurchan starts on the western side of the loch. Once visited you will want to go back.

Lee

Agree with the whole of Lee's post! And lots of colour on Speyside at the moment too

Sandra

Thanks for all this information. Had a quick look and it's amazing. Will be staying for 3 full days. Next week is lookinh good. Speyside and Perthshire look close to one another. What about wildlife - would love to see Pine Marten, Black Grouse, Capercaillie, the Eagles, Crested Tit and other Scottish specialities.

If you're after the Scottish specialities I'd definitely head to Speyside H. Up to the Findhorn Valley for raptor. Cresties hopefully at Loch Garten. I've tried many times for Caper and failed. Others have driven past them at the side of the road. Perhaps a day out with a guide might be an idea? I'd also second D's recommendation for Gordon's book. Brilliant. And something you'll dip into time and time again whenever you go back.

Rich

I will have 3 full days. Going to try and stay in the Perthshire area and maybe head North to Tay Forest park. If time might come down via Loch Lomond area. Torridon, Speyside, Ardnamurchan peninsula all look good but might just be a bit too far.

I might visit the south side of the Cairngorm National Park - anything to look out for there?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back