• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (48 Viewers)

Well, I know and have spoken to the two birders who saw it on Saturday morning. They are extremely experienced, knowledgable and not at all trigger happy. I know that several birders who weren't even there have rubbished the record. That doesn't exactly encourage two people who were actually out in the field to call their finds in in future.

I think they must have made a genuine mistake. I was in the field in the area both before and after all three reports and saw a single Greenshank on all three occasions. We all make mistakes, of course. And, who knows, I may have just made another, but on this occasion I doubt it :) As for possibles and probables, I would encourage everyone to phone them in as such without delay. No shame in making a mistake and much better that than to miss a good bird.

Titchwell October 5th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 still with the mobile tit flock today
Spotted redshank - 7 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Manx shearwater - 1 west offshore mid morning
Golden plover - 200 roosting on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell October 6th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 still present but mobile
Ring ouzel - 1 in dunes towards Thornham Point this afternoon
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Swallow - 1 west

Paul

Titchwell October 7th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh late afternoon
Yellow browed warbler - 1 still in scrub areas
Red crested pochard - 18 on fresh marsh
Pochard - 70 in reedbed
Golden plover - 2000 on fresh marsh
Chiffchaff - 1 on Meadow Trail
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell October 9th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 1 again on the fresh marsh this afternoon but mobile
Yellow browed warbler - 1 still present
Red crested pochard - 16 on Patsy's reedbed
Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell October 10th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - mobile and elusive individual still present
Short eared owl - 1 hunting over saltmarsh late afternoon
Golden plover - 700 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell October 11th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 still present
Short eared owl - 1 in/off sea
Hen harrier - 2 in/off sea (11:00 & 12:00)
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Brambling - male on feeders
Firecrest - 1 in bushes by Island Hide briefly. Seemed to arrive with a small fall of goldcrests late morning
Spoonbill - 1 west
Ruff - 83 on Patsy's reedbed
Red crested pochard - 11 on Patsy's reedbed
Stonechat - 1 on grazing meadow
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on volunteer marsh
Golden plover - 350 roosting on fresh marsh

Paul

Back over again and managed to avoid all rarities by trying to find our own. In the end gave up then dipped on the Richards pipit at stiffkey so then tried the shrike at sheringham. Cracking views of that bird, I was amazed to see so few people watching it compared to the one last year. Didn't have the energy to go look at the Pallas' as I'm pooped already and it's only day one of my holiday! Ha. Oh and hello penny met you at stiffkey wood today!

Back over again and managed to avoid all rarities by trying to find our own. In the end gave up then dipped on the Richards pipit at stiffkey so then tried the shrike at sheringham. Cracking views of that bird, I was amazed to see so few people watching it compared to the one last year. Didn't have the energy to go look at the Pallas' as I'm pooped already and it's only day one of my holiday! Ha. Oh and hello penny met you at stiffkey wood today!
Was that when I was running for the Isabelline Shrike?;)

Titchwell October 12th

Today's highlights

Hawfinch - 1 briefly in Willow Wood, along the East Trail at 3pm
Hen harrier - ringtail in/off sea then west along dunes mid afternoon
Brambling - male on feeders

Paul

Certainly an exciting few days in the county. I went through parts of Caister, Hemsby and Winterton yesterday and the 'rarest' bird I could muster was a Brambling! Was the north coast really dripping with rare and scarce, or was it a case of more eyes and ears in the field? East coast had the fall of Goldcrest but anything more interesting appeared harder to come by, going by reports that is. Still, some super stuff up north and whilst careering around between twitches and birds is not my thing, I was a tiny bit envious today when the pager reported Dusky, Radde's and Red-flanked Bluetail all within half a mile of each other at Holkham! I remarked on my blog that the rares landed on the north coast, and that this has happened in the past has it not? Stuff follows the east coast of the UK southward, makes landfall at and either side of Wells only. Having said that, once the rares were found on the north coast, many birders will have gone straight there leaving the east coast even more underwatched than usual.
Would be interested to hear thoughts and theories on this one.

Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell October 13th

Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 12 on Patsy's reedbed
Greenshank - 1 on saltmarsh
Stonechat - 2 on saltmarsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on Volunteer Marsh
Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh
Brambling - 2 on feeders

Paul

Quality birding all round

...I remarked on my blog that the rares landed on the north coast, this has happened in the past has it not? Stuff follows the east coast of the UK southward, makes landfall at and either side of Wells only. Having said that, once the rares were found on the north coast, many birders will have gone straight there leaving the east coast even more underwatched than usual.
Would be interested to hear thoughts and theories on this one.

Not sure where you're coming from with this Jim? The last 3 days have seen at least one of the following spread between Yarmouth and Holkham: Blyth's Reed, Radde's, dusky and Pallas's warblers, isabelline shrike, red-flanked bluetail, plus a sprinkling of y/browed warblers, great grey shrikes, short-eared owls, ring ouzels, firecrests & hen harriers. Add to this good movements of song thrush, redpoll and siskin, with a few bramblings and I would think it's been hard to complain wherever you were birding.

No doubt that concentrations of birders produces birds and many will have walked past the Holkham bluetail en route to see the Radde's. You must have just been unlucky on this occasion. Keep looking, it's not over yet!

Don't think I've complained anywhere? I think my main point , somewhere in there, is the lack of rare on the east coast compared with north, and why this happens. Yarmouth had a Raddes, but you have to follow the coast round to Sheringham before the next reported rare. I stress reported. Is this because birds arrived from the north east, rather than east I speculate? Some Suffolk patchers would be understandably looking on with envy, and Lowestoft down to Mins is well watched to a degree. Also unlucky, or beaten by the main point of arrival for our rarer visitors?
I had a nice afternoon just booting up Goldcrest. As you say, not done yet by a long shot!
Jim.

Not sure where you're coming from with this Jim? The last 3 days have seen at least one of the following spread between Yarmouth and Holkham: Blyth's Reed, Radde's, dusky and Pallas's warblers, isabelline shrike, red-flanked bluetail, plus a sprinkling of y/browed warblers, great grey shrikes, short-eared owls, ring ouzels, firecrests & hen harriers. Add to this good movements of song thrush, redpoll and siskin, with a few bramblings and I would think it's been hard to complain wherever you were birding.

No doubt that concentrations of birders produces birds and many will have walked past the Holkham bluetail en route to see the Radde's. You must have just been unlucky on this occasion. Keep looking, it's not over yet!

The coast between Yarmouth and Sheringham may well have had rares, wait for the bird report.....

This envious Suffolk lurking patcher beleives everywhere had the birds (big numbers of Goldcrests all down the coast) but beleives the sheer volume of birders in Holkham pines were bound to pick out other stuff.

The coast between Yarmouth and Sheringham may well have had rares, wait for the bird report.....

This envious Suffolk lurking patcher beleives everywhere had the birds (big numbers of Goldcrests all down the coast) but beleives the sheer volume of birders in Holkham pines were bound to pick out other stuff.

That's my feeling too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back