• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Swarovski 10x50 EL inner dimensions? (1 Viewer)

That's an intriguing build you've got going on Planet. Schedule 40 iron pipe eh? That should be strong enough;)

Does the other barrel just float, in space, relying on the tightness of the wrap of the one barrel to stabilized the bin?

This is getting me thinking about a mount that allows IPD adjustments, easily.
I'm having visions of a cradle, a hinge, and a sliding dovetail...
I'll keep you posted. 8-P

Last edited:
I widen the cradle 2 1/4" all metal exposed surfaces are Velcro covered except the sides of the cradle are leather covered
1.5" W Velcro strap hold down, tested it holding 20lbs+ vs a 35oz pair of 10x50
Just waiting till Friday for the 10x50 ;)

Attachments

• DAD02416 copy.jpg
    DAD02416 copy.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DAD02417 copy.jpg
    DAD02417 copy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 27
That's an intriguing build you've got going on Planet. Schedule 40 iron pipe eh? That should be strong enough;)

Does the other barrel just float, in space, relying on the tightness of the wrap of the one barrel to stabilized the bin?

This is getting me thinking about a mount that allows IPD adjustments, easily.
I'm having visions of a cradle, a hinge, and a sliding dovetail...
I'll keep you posted. 8-P

In the air o:)
Need a gearing set up something like this to move both tubes in unison
https://youtu.be/BTXpUeICNQU

I widen the cradle 2 1/4" all metal exposed surfaces are Velcro covered except the sides of the cradle are leather covered

How did you test it for a 20 lb load?
It looks great but I'm surprised that fuzzy velcro gives enough traction.

I'd have been tempted to use ABS pipe instead of iron. "Weld" extra layers with ABS cement to the bottom of the cradle, mill a flat section for the interface with your Arca plate, and rivet (or maybe through-bolt) it to the plate.

Looking forward to your feedback of how it works.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Simple, solid and secured...very nice creation Dan! :t:

Mine (on the cheap and easy) is a Leupold bino holder. Actually steadies the 10X50 SV well, but nothing like sch 40 pipe (need to add a safety lanyard to mine:-C)!!

Ted

Attachments

• Leupold Binocular Holder.JPG
    Leupold Binocular Holder.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 34
  • El 10X50 SV and Leupold Bino Holder.JPG
    El 10X50 SV and Leupold Bino Holder.JPG
    692.6 KB · Views: 29
  • EL10X50SV-Leupold Bino Holder-Brunton CF Tripod.jpg
    EL10X50SV-Leupold Bino Holder-Brunton CF Tripod.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34
How did you test it for a 20 lb load?
It looks great but I'm surprised that fuzzy velcro gives enough traction.

I'd have been tempted to use ABS pipe instead of iron. "Weld" extra layers with ABS cement to the bottom of the cradle, mill a flat section for the interface with your Arca plate, and rivet (or maybe through-bolt) it to the plate.

Looking forward to your feedback of how it works.

Cheers.

How I tested it was to hang a 25lbs sand bag off the bottom of the main post of my tripod, strap the Velcro down to a 2" pipe and lift up..... success !

Simple, solid and secured...very nice creation Dan! :t:

Mine (on the cheap and easy) is a Leupold bino holder. Actually steadies the 10X50 SV well, but nothing like sch 40 pipe (need to add a safety lanyard to mine:-C)!!

Ted

That Leupold Tray looks pretty nice for $20, think I'll get one for that price
Thanks
Dan

Hello Everyone;

This is a very interesting thread to me. As well as the other thread about adaptors, tripods, etc. I have used tripods for photography in the past, when I needed to take long exposures,etc. But I have never used one with binoculars.
I do get the need to reduce movement/shake to get a steady view. It fascinates me to see all of the setups for these tripods and mounts, what with counterweights and all.

I have taken a different approach. Although I have used alphas like Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss for compact bins, and I love them, when it comes to larger ones I have gone with the Canon line of IS bins. I started with the first generation of the 10x30 IS. I was blown away with its capability. Later I added the 18x50 IS, and more recently the 12x36 ISIII. That one is absolutely rock solid. It feels like it is on a tripod. This has been more than a fifteen year time period that I have been using these, and they have all have been mechanically excellent.

So you can see what my question is. Utilizing and carrying all of those tripods, mounting heads, stabilizers, chairs, etc has to be a hassle. All I do is turn the stabilizer button on. Not all of them are as good as the recent 12x36 III, but they are far better than hand holding. And if you need more light with higher quality glass there is the Canon 10x42L IS, along with stabilization, protected from the weather. And it costs about half what a comparable alpha costs. And you don't need a tripod, with all of the hassle that it brings.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a Canon fan boy. I left their photography system for the Sony mirrorless one. I also recognize that some of the Canon IS line are not weather resistant, and others do not have the high quality glass of the alphas. But I will do what works best for me. That is also why I am loyal to the alphas for their excellent compacts. I travel a great deal, so their size and weight is important, but so is their quality. Canon makes nothing like them. But their line of IS bins has allowed me to reach out and see details in the distance that is just incredible, all hand held. Years ago my wife and I were in Alaska and I had taken the 18x50s. We saw a group of people at the side of the road, so we stopped. They were looking for a bear that was supposed to be up on a hillside several miles away. They hadn't been able to see it even though several had binoculars. Within a few seconds I was easily able to see it. No one else who had binoculars was able to see it. I get this experience time after time with these. Without a tripod.

I can look through a larger alpha 10x42 and appreciate their quality of design and view. But when it comes to a steady view to see every possible detail nothing beats the IS system for me. When people have looked through my 12x36s they have been amazed how steady they are. So that is my question. Why do many, many people stick to the tripod system for binoculars to get a steady view when it seems that there is an alternative that would be much more mobile, flexible and far less troublesome to deal with?

Hello Everyone;

This is a very interesting thread to me. As well as the other thread about adaptors, tripods, etc. I have used tripods for photography in the past, when I needed to take long exposures,etc. But I have never used one with binoculars.
I do get the need to reduce movement/shake to get a steady view. It fascinates me to see all of the setups for these tripods and mounts, what with counterweights and all.

I have taken a different approach. Although I have used alphas like Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss for compact bins, and I love them, when it comes to larger ones I have gone with the Canon line of IS bins. I started with the first generation of the 10x30 IS. I was blown away with its capability. Later I added the 18x50 IS, and more recently the 12x36 ISIII. That one is absolutely rock solid. It feels like it is on a tripod. This has been more than a fifteen year time period that I have been using these, and they have all have been mechanically excellent.

So you can see what my question is. Utilizing and carrying all of those tripods, mounting heads, stabilizers, chairs, etc has to be a hassle. All I do is turn the stabilizer button on. Not all of them are as good as the recent 12x36 III, but they are far better than hand holding. And if you need more light with higher quality glass there is the Canon 10x42L IS, along with stabilization, protected from the weather. And it costs about half what a comparable alpha costs. And you don't need a tripod, with all of the hassle that it brings.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a Canon fan boy. I left their photography system for the Sony mirrorless one. I also recognize that some of the Canon IS line are not weather resistant, and others do not have the high quality glass of the alphas. But I will do what works best for me. That is also why I am loyal to the alphas for their excellent compacts. I travel a great deal, so their size and weight is important, but so is their quality. Canon makes nothing like them. But their line of IS bins has allowed me to reach out and see details in the distance that is just incredible, all hand held. Years ago my wife and I were in Alaska and I had taken the 18x50s. We saw a group of people at the side of the road, so we stopped. They were looking for a bear that was supposed to be up on a hillside several miles away. They hadn't been able to see it even though several had binoculars. Within a few seconds I was easily able to see it. No one else who had binoculars was able to see it. I get this experience time after time with these. Without a tripod.

I can look through a larger alpha 10x42 and appreciate their quality of design and view. But when it comes to a steady view to see every possible detail nothing beats the IS system for me. When people have looked through my 12x36s they have been amazed how steady they are. So that is my question. Why do many, many people stick to the tripod system for binoculars to get a steady view when it seems that there is an alternative that would be much more mobile, flexible and far less troublesome to deal with?

Ever see those commercials where if it's not there clever invention your going to be fumbley bumley with out there product
I had 3 Canon IS and you need to always carry extra battery's and the chance of the motor breaking down was always inevitable.
With a carbon fiber tripod and only a top attachment your ready to go with a small foot print in the travel.

When focusing on more then the optics for success in a design the fewer parts show it's beauty and quality over more things to go wrong and sacrificing optics shows itself in the final view.
Not that Canon's views are bad, motored views are still fantastic, over the years passing something down to my boy better not need batteries :)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone...I can look through a larger alpha 10x42 and appreciate their quality of design and view. But when it comes to a steady view to see every possible detail nothing beats the IS system for me. When people have looked through my 12x36s they have been amazed how steady they are. So that is my question. Why do many, many people stick to the tripod system for binoculars to get a steady view when it seems that there is an alternative that would be much more mobile, flexible and far less troublesome to deal with?

Kellmark,

Great questions and comments on binocular usage stability! ;)

The topic to use mechanical stabilization vs built in image stabilized optics has been discussed\debated here and other birding and optical equipment forums for years. After glassing with, testing and purchasing many fine binoculars, I decided to test the IS waters.

In 2016 I purchased the venerable Canon 10X42 L IS...still have em...still use em! For me, "hand-held optical performance" closely resembles the many virtues of the best glass I own (best being the EL10X50SV)...a tad behind the ELs, but still Very Good! Hit the Canon IS button, and resolution details are into the next millennia, easily improving ID ability and clarity of view by a large margin!! Now, put my EL10X50SV on a mechanical platform (as per this threads discussion) and again, the resolving details of my top glass becomes the superior view!

There's many pros and cons for both systems (weight-cost-warranties-build quality-ergonomics-reputations, etc.) but in the end, if you choose one or the other (or both as in my case), you should have the right optic, for the right need, for the right place, at the right time!! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
Here's the same mount supporting a tiny Leica Silverline 8x20 BCA Monocular:t:

Attachments

• DAD02419 copy copy.jpg
    DAD02419 copy copy.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 24
Got the 10x50 today instead!
Works perfect on the mount :clap:

Attachments

• DAD02432.JPG
    DAD02432.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DAD02435.JPG
    DAD02435.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DAD02438.JPG
    DAD02438.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 18
  • DAD02444.JPG
    DAD02444.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 27
Wonderful Dan...great job! :t:

Now, how's the EL10X50SV FP hand-held??? Inquiring minds also want to know your opinion\view of the optics!?! ;)

Ted

Before this I had a the Zeiss Victory 8x25, Zeiss 10x42 Conquest, Nikon Monarch 7, Vortex Viper 10x42, Kowa 10.5x44 to finally the Swarovski EL 10x50 Swarovision
The Swarovski dose everything better, balance, size not to big, funny the Kowa 10.5x44 weighs exactly the same 36.3 with covers.
The Kowa 10.5x44 is smaller but heaver, claimed by the amount of glass it has
Swarovski close focus is about 9 ft, like that, see how she dose tonight with coma control on bright stars in the city

Before this I had a the Zeiss Victory 8x25, Zeiss 10x42 Conquest, Nikon Monarch 7, Vortex Viper 10x42, Kowa 10.5x44 to finally the Swarovski EL 10x50 Swarovision
The Swarovski dose everything better, balance, size not to big, funny the Kowa 10.5x44 weighs exactly the same 36.3 with covers.
The Kowa 10.5x44 is smaller but heaver, claimed by the amount of glass it has
Swarovski close focus is about 9 ft, like that, see how she dose tonight with coma control on bright stars in the city

In your optical inventory (all nice glass), imagine the Kowa would be the closest in performance to the EL10X50. However, with a +9mm larger objective spacing (compared to your IPD settings), I find the 10X50 has a wonderful and natural "picture-window" step-in-view that is really addictive (similar to high quality porros)! Curious to hear more about your performance discoveries! ;)

Ted

Last edited:
So a little more experimenting and an addition of bungee cords, thanks to dmcharg and the addition of supporting the other tube..........

Attachments

• DAD02446 copy.jpg
    DAD02446 copy.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DAD02447 copy.jpg
    DAD02447 copy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DAD02448 copy.jpg
    DAD02448 copy.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 18
There need to be more manufacturers of the parallelogram mount, so I can view the zenith with a relaxed view, otherwise I am too close to the mount/head of the tripod.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back