• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BVD keeps being "blind" on Leica (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I keep noticing references to Steve Ingraham's BVD (Better Views Desired) web site. He had done a beautiful job for a long time. However, we should now always keep in mind that - apparently being linked to Zeiss - he is no longer the impartial guy he at least claimed to be. And in particular, since the store that sponors his site does not carry Leica, it is no real surprise that he now seems to have a blind spot for Leica products. For one thing, he still has not managed to review or even just to mention the existence of such a thing as the Leica 62 Televid scope. And on the latest entry with that (brief) review of Pentax binoculars the same "blindness" exists. When talking about "high-end" brands, the name Leica is the only one that is not mentioned! Thus, whenever BVD is cited now, we should keep in mind that it is no longer the "authority" it used to be.

Swissboy,

Are you aware of any sites from the German-speaking countries with good and useable reviews? It takes some skill in the German language, but sometimes I have stumbled over photo-related sites in German with such excellent content that it is well worth to make use of my rusty, but still existing, skills in the German language.

Swissboy,

For a number of years, BVD was an independent source supported by "donations" from users. Originally a magazine of a few pages (I still have several issues), before it was web-based, I suspect that lack of capital was its' demise.

Steven has been the contibutor for Birding magazine (ABA) for the "Tools of the Trade" column for a few years. He may just be too busy with making a living to update his website on a continous basis.

Seems like allegiances change with the prevailing winds. I noted that Peter Dunne was recently quoted on the NJAS website that the Leica Ultravid may be the finest birding binocular made, even after his contributions on the design of the Swaro EL. Just like all writers, no matter the subject, they depend on manufacturers' advertising for revenue. Sometimes reviews are skewed I'm sure. caveat emptor

Regards,
JB

gunvald said:
Swissboy,

Are you aware of any sites from the German-speaking countries with good and useable reviews? It takes some skill in the German language, but sometimes I have stumbled over photo-related sites in German with such excellent content that it is well worth to make use of my rusty, but still existing, skills in the German language.

Hi gunvald,

I don't know of any such sites. But then, i have not really done any hard search either. Thus, if you do know of such sites, I'd appreciate if you could let me know. Maybe I could do a bit of translating every now and then, for the benefit of whoever might be interested. Often, fortunately, even a translation with the help of a machine provides sufficient information. But in those cases where a translation is misleading or downright wrong, I would certainly be willing to help.

Concerning photographic topics (but unfortunately not binoculars or scopes) www.photozone.de is a very interesting German site; however that one is already in English.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
I keep noticing references to Steve Ingraham's BVD (Better Views Desired) web site. He had done a beautiful job for a long time. However, we should now always keep in mind that - apparently being linked to Zeiss - he is no longer the impartial guy he at least claimed to be. And in particular, since the store that sponors his site does not carry Leica, it is no real surprise that he now seems to have a blind spot for Leica products. For one thing, he still has not managed to review or even just to mention the existence of such a thing as the Leica 62 Televid scope. And on the latest entry with that (brief) review of Pentax binoculars the same "blindness" exists. When talking about "high-end" brands, the name Leica is the only one that is not mentioned! Thus, whenever BVD is cited now, we should keep in mind that it is no longer the "authority" it used to be.

I agree that his reviews are generally excellent: the best around IMO. I don't think he ignored Leica. A year or two ago he reviewed the Leica 8x42 BN binoculars from Leica and gave a very balanced assessment:

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/BVD10O1/index.html

He also reviewed the Leica APO Televid 77 and recommends it. He used to recommend the Leica 8x32 BN as the best waterproof general birding binocular, but he now believes that the new Nikon 8x32 HG has much better optics - and most people seem to agree with him.

I suspect he found it hard to get hold of optics for long term tests. The Ultravids and the Televid 62 are recent additions and I think they appeared after his Zeiss conversion.

I heard 6 months ago that he was searching for someone to take over his site as he was of the opinion that he would not be seen as impartial. I believe that the two latest reviews were written before his acceptance of the Zeiss silver shilling.

At the end of the day his reviews were the opinions of one man, albeit a very intelligent and thoughtful one, and hence his personal biases will have coloured everything.

I am happy to meet with a few people from BF to compare and test binoculars and/or scopes, though I suspect everyone is too busy birding.

Leif said:
I heard 6 months ago that he was searching for someone to take over his site as he was of the opinion that he would not be seen as impartial.

Wouldn't you be interested, Leif?

;)

Ilkka

iporali said:
Wouldn't you be interested, Leif?

;)

Ilkka

Ilkka: I'm flattered, but ignoring other issues, I do not have ready access to binoculars and scopes. Anyway, my suggestion that a few people get together and compare some instruments that they own has the advantage that at least one person has had long term use of each instrument, and hence they can pick up on any misconceptions. It also smooths out the bias from one person. (I am biased against instruments that show marked chromatic aberration.) I think I might get trampled in the stampede to volunteer. (Irony intended.)

Leif said:
I don't think he ignored Leica. A year or two ago he reviewed the Leica 8x42 BN binoculars from Leica and gave a very balanced assessment.
He also reviewed the Leica APO Televid 77 and recommends it. He used to recommend the Leica 8x32 BN as the best waterproof general birding binocular, but he now believes that the new Nikon 8x32 HG has much better optics - and most people seem to agree with him.

I meant that in recent times, like the past year or so, that "blindness" had come upon the BVD site. Before the connection with Simpson's store there was no bias. But we tend to deal with BVD as if it were still up to date with its reviews.

It is very true that the Nikon 8x32 HGs have long been declared the best. In fact, it was Steve Ingraham who first made me realize that roof prisms are inherently worse than porros! And that has explained to me why my old porro type binoculars even today are still pretty good by the present essentially "roof prism" standards. Now, if only that weight (and bulk) factor did not spoil it. Plus the problem that they are not waterproof.

Swissboy said:
I meant that in recent times, like the past year or so, that "blindness" had come upon the BVD site. Before the connection with Simpson's store there was no bias. But we tend to deal with BVD as if it were still up to date with its reviews.

It is very true that the Nikon 8x32 HGs have long been declared the best. In fact, it was Steve Ingraham who first made me realize that roof prisms are inherently worse than porros! And that has explained to me why my old porro type binoculars even today are still pretty good by the present essentially "roof prism" standards. Now, if only that weight (and bulk) factor did not spoil it. Plus the problem that they are not waterproof.

I pretty much agree with you.

I guess we shall not hear what Steve Ingraham thinks of the Leica APO 62, the Ultravids, or the Nikon 82 ED which is a shame. Maybe the Alula 'gang' will have a go?

Well, if anyone has hit BVD recently, Steve did recently review the Leica 8x42 Ultravids (Part of a 'Leica, Brunton and Pentax' update). However, as usual, it still doesn't displace his beloved Nikons as the BVD Reference Standard. I think the thing about BVD that frustrates me so much is the duality of Steven being so darned technically astute but never coming off the Nikon soapbox. Two of his comments just annoyed me so much I actually wanted to write the man. First, he states that even though he has big hands, he finds the Leica focus wheel 'a reach'. Now I'm all of 150 pounds, 5'4" tall and I don't even begin to notice a problem such as this! Secondly, he makes no qualms about devoting sufficient space to harp on Leica's 'considerable distortion at the edges of the field' ending it with 'I find the Leica's distortion disconcerting in many birding situations'. That had to be the icing on the cake as to 'Objective and Unbiased Reporting'. I own the Ultravids in 8x42 and Trinovids in 10x50. I'm only a beginning birder and certainly not up to Steven's technical knowledge, but I haven't even begun to see 'bowing' lines. I can't even make myself see it!

Perhaps I'd better get off MY soapbox, lest the group think I'm a total Leica fanatic. Oh, make no mistake, I am, but I'm also cognizant of good optics from Zeiss and Swaro. But I'm not an editor of an optical review site, either. It just strikes me as strange that Steven acts as if it would be the hardest thing in the world to just admit, Leicas are world class and DO compare to his beloved Nikons. It's almost as if he has an underlying belief in the snobbery of owning Leicas or something. And is going out of his way to term any potential Leica owner away.

Okay, I'm better now. Have followed his site for over 3 years now, biting my tongue on every review.

I think the review you saw is actually an old one of the 8X42 Trinovid Ultra rather than the 8X42 Ultravid. I can understand the confusion. What will Leicas' next binoculars be called? Ultravid Ultras?

You are correct, Henry.

henry link said:
I think the review you saw is actually an old one of the 8X42 Trinovid Ultra rather than the 8X42 Ultravid. I can understand the confusion. What will Leicas' next binoculars be called? Ultravid Ultras?

I think I got so caught up (read: about to pop) reading his usual anti-Leica stance, I failed to notice that he was reviewing the Ultras, not the Ultravid. Thanks for the correction. Whereas it did feel good to get that off my chest, it forced me to re-read his review and I think I'm even more frustrated at his stance on Leicas, in general. If you really want the ultimate reference to this, check out his review on spotters (Pentax, Swaro, Zeiss & Leica). Naturally it had the reference to (and this is getting soooo tiresome), '...it's still not as bright as my Nikon Fieldscope' ! And claiming that the Nikon's lenses, '....while not APO, are very, very close'. Just to be technical, the wording is mine; close to his, but I can't keep his page up while I'm typing, I get too frustrated!

I'm finally resolved that the Simpson Optics aren't the only tilt; Nikon includes in their Fieldscope literature a reference to BVD. I think he's Nikon staff!

Finally, great question on what Leica will ever call the follow-ons to the Ultravid. My vote goes for 'BVD RS-VID' ! (only cause they should be :)

pruitthall said:
I think I got so caught up (read: about to pop) reading his usual anti-Leica stance, I failed to notice that he was reviewing the Ultras, not the Ultravid. Thanks for the correction. Whereas it did feel good to get that off my chest, it forced me to re-read his review and I think I'm even more frustrated at his stance on Leicas, in general. (Quote)

Man, you are going to give yourself an ulcer or a heart attack for no good reason.

OK, so Steve prefers Nikon to Leica, so do I.

Birdwatching magazine loves Leica, dont really rate Nikon.

Steve works for Zeiss.

Such is life.

Chill.

Clive

Last edited:
welcome to the site pruitthall

if memory serves me right he rated the Leica's second at the time to the Nikon's hardly a poor review.

The comment about 'Leica's 'considerable distortion at the edges of the field' was made in a recent review of the Ultravid 10x42 in the Finish magazine Alula.

pruitthall said:
I'm even more frustrated at his stance on Leicas, in general.
Please help me understand why Steve should be SO anti-Leica? What purpose does it serve him to be prejudiced? Shouldn't professional reviewers be impartial in their assessments? Couldn't Steve's comments, whether for or against brand X, be genuine opinion according to his evaluation data?

Please help me understand.
Thanks.

Last edited:
mpedris said:
Please help me understand why Steve should SO "anti-Leica", as you put it? What purpose does it serve him to be prejudiced? Shouldn't professional reviewers be impartial in their assessments? Couldn't Steve's comments, whether for or against brand X, be genuine opinion according to his evaluation data?

Please help me understand.
Thanks.

if I remember rightly until recently he rated the 8x32 Trinovids(Ultras) the best overall bin didn't he?

Leif said:
I pretty much agree with you.

I guess we shall not hear what Steve Ingraham thinks of the Leica APO 62, the Ultravids, or the Nikon 82 ED which is a shame. Maybe the Alula 'gang' will have a go?

Alula have just reviewed the 82 comparing it with the zeiss and swaro.

pduxon said:
if I remember rightly until recently he rated the 8x32 Trinovids(Ultras) the best overall bin didn't he?

Definitely not! He used to rate them as the best waterproof mid-sized binocular, but then the Nikon 8x32 HG came along, and knocked them off their perch. He hasn't tested the Swaro 8x32 EL though my subjective biased opinion is that the Nikon would beat 'em.

Leif said:
Definitely not! He used to rate them as the best waterproof mid-sized binocular, but then the Nikon 8x32 HG came along, and knocked them off their perch. He hasn't tested the Swaro 8x32 EL though my subjective biased opinion is that the Nikon would beat 'em.

From BVD.....

"Binoculars choice is, of course, an intensely personal decision and, despite all our attempts at science, still a very subjective one. Given that, I am ready to say, that unless your birding style, habits, or needs are considerably out of the ordinary, the Leica 8X32 Ultras will satisfy you for years to come. They are, simply, the best all-around birding binoculars that I have yet had the privilege to use. They are so good that I am creating a new category in the Reference Set for them: Best Overall!"

Wow......

One thing is certain: We've all got opinions on this subject!

First, to William Clive: Thank you for your concern. I'm actually far more 'chilled' about the subject than my email wording would suggest. Hey, it's only an opinion...we've all got them. And since it's entirely subjective, I wouldn't ever suggest to anyone that one piece of optical anything is overall better than another, without them first testing it with their eyes.

To everyone else, thanks for an informative journey down the high-end roof lane. I do respect Steve's work (a lot!), far more than my email may have indicated. :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back