• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks on water question (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Hi, need help again, different subject matter though. Ok I have managed to get close to some ducks that are on my pond but my pics are still not turning out as I want. I tried shooting at 200 speed and 400..7.1..av mode and ai servo. The ducks are anywhere from 20 feet in front of me to 60 feet. Just not getting that super clear photo I want. I know the water can mess with it all and plus the wind which is was breezy today but isn't there anything else I can do to get that one good shot with detail. Camera info is listed below on signature. I realize a different zoom would help but out of my price range for now and I am determined to get this with what I have. Any ideas that may help other then me hiding in the water disguised as twigs to get closer..lol. A little too cold for that right now. BTW today was a warmer day in the 50's so don't think that had much play with it. If it had been in the 30's could understand that playing a part as well but was really nice outside. Then again we had below zero weather for about a week with wind chills -10 to -15 so anything above that feels great to me..lol.

Hi,

I can't really help out with the technical aspects of your camera gear (Nikon user), but the settings you mention sound ok to me. I would dare to suggest that maybe a 300mm lens is a bit short perhaps, will your camera take a TC to increase the focal length?

I can say that recently I've taken to building a hide from camo netting on my lake shore and then waiting, after a while if birds are about they start to come in really close. I do think my building a hide has made all the difference, it's not a complicated affair just 2 poles and some camo netting, drab clothes, a hat and a camo face net, being still and having the patience to wait for the birds to come to you.

The Goldeneye and Goosander pics in my gallery where taken at about 10-15ft, a 500mm lens helps too.

Just my experiences, hope it helps.

Hi, thanks for the tips. It seems that the getting closer is the story of my life with my lens for ducks and birds. Mastered getting close to the birds with no blind..just a matter of staying still enough and waiting. For the ducks, yeah I may need to build a small blind, for them to come closer to me. Had one tonight coming right along the bank where I was so I positioned myself and stayed still with camera up to eye ready. The little thing went under where I was focused and passed me without me knowing it. I really had to be completely still with no blind so one of those things I guess. I did see it on my left which it was not as close but closer then other shots. Ok shot for just getting a photo but still not where I want to be on this. I'll embarrass myself and post a photo of this duck. I probably wasn't as still with the camera as I thought I was at the time. I shot this at 270.0 mm. Duck should be closer as you mentioned. Taken at 400 ISO..at first i was shooting at 200 ISO but then thought with water moving and the breeze maybe I should use the 400. Lacks detail, clarity, the list goes on...

I have never had so many ducks at my pond before so hoping to get a handle on this before they leave. Thanks again.

Attachments

• duckDD.jpg
    duckDD.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 127
Hi again,

just looking at the photo you posted, one thing to say is that it looks like there's a bit of camera shake (shutter speed too low??). A tripod or monopod would probably solve this or even a beanbag balanced on your knees or a nearby tree. Might help to get that 'crystal' shot.

One other thing I'd say is that if your camera has it use the continuous shooting function (mine is 6 frames per second) and fire off as many shots as possible, I think you'll find that for every sharp pic posted here there are at least 20-30 taken at the same time that weren't so great.

Remember birds move all the time.

best of luck.

Hey D.... I know with waterfoul many times I sit down and use my knee as a prop to balance the camera. Since waterfoul are lower than you are, it is easier to sit and almost get level with them (to a point). In fact I like to sit and take shots like that of most birds if the shot calls for it.... What species do you have in your pond? jim

Thank your everyone, I was laying down on the ground when I took this photo trying to be hidden as much as possible and blend in with the ground so the ducks would come close up to me. I shot the photo at 1/1000 shutter speed. Probably just me, I had to wait for quite awhile being in one position for a long time so probably shook camera when snapped the photo.

I am surprised that am I able to be still enough that the ducks if they leave they will fly back in with most touching down in front of me. The hard part for me is I have to be still so can't really look up and around too much to see them coming in until to late. There is so much brush and cat tails that I am in partial open area too because too many twigs get in my view and mess up focus. I can't really go cutting all the brush because I need to be hidden.

Since I am using the 1/1000 shutter speed I'll try to get the tripod or some thing else to steady myself. I was just using my elbows at the time of this shot.

What really gets me is that I was down at the dam took the photo below..pelicans way far off compared to this duck and it turned out better to me then the duck, other then white out. I had worse conditions, high wind, lots colder, and lots more distance involved. I get this close to a duck and doesn't turn out. Pelicans shot at 1/640 shutter speed, 200 ISO. I can't seem to win..lol.

Attachments

• pelicans1-11-10.jpg
    pelicans1-11-10.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 85
Jim, I forgot to mention the types of ducks for you. So far Gadwalls, Bufflehead and Ring necked so far. Last year we had the Mergansers but haven't seen them yet and one wood duck that I was never able to get a photo of.

D, how much of a crop is that duck shot? All your settings look pretty optimal for good IQ, so either that is a big crop or you might have a problem with your processing. It all looks a bit odd because the duck actually looks quite good, in a way, but overall the image looks "funny". If you can make an unedited original available somewhere I'd like to take a closer look. If you have a raw file that would be even better.

If you have nowhere to host a large file you can use a free service like http://www.yousendit.com/. You can email the file to yourself and then post a download link here for others to view or just PM it to me if you prefer.

Have you seen this thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=160577 - ?

p.s. ducks like bread. :)

Although it is a widespread belief that ducks like bread, it is not a nutritional source of food for them and so is best not to feed them with it.

Have you tried using a hide to get closer to them. Also, try to shoot and the beginning and end of the day, when the light is at its best. Another thing that you may want to consider is shooting at eye level. It gives a much more intimate view of your subject and can really make it stand out against the background if it is clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back