• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor Man Academy Awards (1 Viewer)

black crow

I'm sure there are some here and plenty lurking who have a tight budget for optics. So let's hear it for the best bang for the buck low end binoculars around $200 and under. There are some awesome optics out there for around $200 and much less that will IMO give you 90% or more of what some of the higher priced bins can offer. I'm curious to see if I've missed much and I'll start with a few of my picks. I consider these picks worthy of being a one and only lifetime bino for people on a budget.

SIGHTRON BLUE SKY 8X32 (thank you Frank) ($169)

BUSHNELL LEGEND 10X25 ($158)

CELESTRON TRAILSEEKER 8X42 AND 10X32. ($189 each) (I plan on reviewing these guys soon)

OLYMPUS TRACKER COMPACT 8X25 ($79)

Last edited:
I have Camlink langham 8x25 and after $5 plastics they are incredible! dont need much more, they focus sharp and easily but not loose and i can see colours i never knew existed in the twigtops. not too hard to use as long as i dont breath all over the glass - who needs $200 binos? ok i dont know any better...

I have Camlink langham 8x25 and after $5 plastics they are incredible! dont need much more, they focus sharp and easily but not loose and i can see colours i never knew existed in the twigtops. not too hard to use as long as i dont breath all over the glass - who needs $200 binos? ok i dont know any better...

Hey whatever works. Those cost around $30 right? I know Olympus makes outstanding compacts for well under $100. However if you are serious about birding or something similar you really want something bigger at least. My guess is that some of these $30 -50 binos are ok if you are on a serious budget. I've found however that right around the $150 mark things can start get really exceptional for that kind of money.

Last edited:
Hey whatever works. snip. However if you are serious about birding or something similar you really want something bigger at least. y.

i didnt know price as they were a very timely gift i am very grateful for. i am serious and if ever i get more wealth i look forward to seeing and choosing from this $200 list from people already more serious than am i! camera next. but i dont think i would ever pay $2000 like the other list though ... boat and a weekend or two with a redhead would come first ...

I hope you do. I'm hoping I'm not the only one adding to this list. Then anyone with $100-200 will have the great fun of researching something awesome from the list and then owning something that may be the only binocular they ever need. Most of my life I didn't have $200 to spend on an optic. Fortunately I didn't need to. For $75 I had a great Nikon compact something like you have that I used for decades.

I have the Bushnell 8X42 Legend M, and for 150+/- a few dollars they are a great buy for the money, I have heard some good things about the 10X42 also, for some they might not like the size. I feel the 8X42s are actually brighter than some premium 8X42s out there.

A.W.

I came very close to buying a pair of those. The Legend 10x25 I have is everything I need in a compact. The sweet spot seems to go edge to edge almost like my swarovski. I think if someone gave them to me and said they cost $600 I'd likely believe them. (I'm a little gullible however but you get my point)

I think Bushnell makes some of the best binos at budget prices. At least from what I read here and on other web sites. I may have to buy a pair sometime when they go on sale. The neat thing about binos in this price range for us on a budget is it's a little easier to take a chance or have the fun of owning more than one or two pair of binoculars.

BC, I've only seen two of the four on your list but I would definitely agree with those two: Sightron 8x32 and Olympus 8x25. Both excellent, and I doubt I'll ever sell either of them. Might end up giving them away to a deserving soul.

The Tracker is just so dang sharp! But the field of view at 315' is rather narrow. I lucked out and paid something like $27 for it.

Interestingly, I had a Minolta 8x25 (can't remember what it was called but purchased about year 2000?) and although the Olympus looks absolutely nothing like it, turns out they were the same thing internally. I'm not sure if Minolta was the original designer. A neighborhood kid got those. Wow, he was delighted!

And the Sightron is just a great all-rounder. Lightweight, super-nice focus. Looks a little goofy but feels great in the hand! I think I'll gift those to a nephew, but not before I take them out for another spin. They are nice.

Bins

kammerdiner,

Nice of you to provide some glass to the inquisitive kids, very admirable. Something we should all strive to do - engage the young minds when out viewing, birding etc.

A.W.

BC, I've only seen two of the four on your list but I would definitely agree with those two: Sightron 8x32 and Olympus 8x25. Both excellent, and I doubt I'll ever sell either of them. Might end up giving them away to a deserving soul.

The Tracker is just so dang sharp! But the field of view at 315' is rather narrow. I lucked out and paid something like $27 for it.

Interestingly, I had a Minolta 8x25 (can't remember what it was called but purchased about year 2000?) and although the Olympus looks absolutely nothing like it, turns out they were the same thing internally. I'm not sure if Minolta was the original designer. A neighborhood kid got those. Wow, he was delighted!

And the Sightron is just a great all-rounder. Lightweight, super-nice focus. Looks a little goofy but feels great in the hand! I think I'll gift those to a nephew, but not before I take them out for another spin. They are nice.

The Pentax Papillo is also a very nice and fun binocular, especially for kids, they love the close focus.

And it is pretty sturdy too. My son didn't manage to break them and allthough they are not listed as waterproof I used to rinse them (carefully) under the tap.

George

I have the 6.5x version and It's my favorite bin during springtime when the bees first head to the flowers. Good addition for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back