• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where should I live? Aberdeenshire? (1 Viewer)

davidblades

United Kingdom
Just wondered what people’s thoughts were? I have to live within daily travel distance of Aberdeen City... as a keen birder, where would you choose to live?
I’ve considered Newburgh, and also Montrose (Montrose being a little too far if I’m honest). Where would you choose? :t:

Well, I guess I chose Torry! And I'm not the only birder who did. I've seen around 200 species within a mile of my home, so it's pretty good. Within the city I suspect the Bridge of Don area would also be good, and I like Cove Bay as well. The latter seems pretty underwatched to me, so plenty of potential for finding things. Elsewhere Newburgh would be good but Collieston is maybe even better. A few birders live in those areas and they see plenty.

Thanks Andrew, I’m grateful for your advice.

Well, I guess I chose Torry! And I'm not the only birder who did. I've seen around 200 species within a mile of my home, so it's pretty good. Within the city I suspect the Bridge of Don area would also be good, and I like Cove Bay as well. The latter seems pretty underwatched to me, so plenty of potential for finding things. Elsewhere Newburgh would be good but Collieston is maybe even better. A few birders live in those areas and they see plenty.

Being in the oil industry, a move to the Aberdeen area is something I have considered in the past. I don't have any experience on the birding there, but Stonehaven might be an option, with RSPB Fowlsheugh on its doorstep.

I'd also consider Newburgh on the Ythan estuary as a place with high potential for birding.

Thanks Gander :t:

Being in the oil industry, a move to the Aberdeen area is something I have considered in the past. I don't have any experience on the birding there, but Stonehaven might be an option, with RSPB Fowlsheugh on its doorstep.

I'd also consider Newburgh on the Ythan estuary as a place with high potential for birding.

I guess it depends a little on what sort of birding you’d like to do. If you want hides, waders, wildfowl etc, then Newburgh would be great. If you want coastal migrants and seawatching then anywhere on the coast would be good. There are plenty of under/unwatched parts of the coast here that would reward regular effort with rarities. It’s a great part of the uk for birding, so good luck finding somewhere!

I am also a born and bred "Torry Loon" and It Is Ideal.Sadly,I don't have the free time to bird as much as I would like but Andrew's fantastic total of local birds,speaks for Itself.

However,Collieston as suggested,brings In some super birds,has sea-watching and Is on the doorstep of Forvie Reserve and the Ythan Estuary.It Is also quite handy for driving to RSPB Loch of Strathbeg and Peterhead Harbour for white winged Gulls.

Go south. Lost of areas to the south that have little coverage.
Just leave the north to the rest of us. The last 2 autumns have produced very little of note north of Aberdeen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back