• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED82 (Bargain) II (1 Viewer)

passerine said:
Finally bit the bullet and bought my first scope. Went along to Cley Spy in Norfolk and asked them to set up the Nikon ed 111 angled alongside the Zeiss 65 angled - both with the 30w eyepiece. The staff were very helpful and were happy to answer any questions. Both scopes offered superb views. I lined up a tree about 60 metres away (too hot for the birds!) and took my time getting used to the very different focusing systems. I was immediately at home with the Nikon single focus wheel and was soon able to pick out the detail on the leaves. I did not connect with the Zeiss dual wheel system at all - it struck me that I would not be happy with this system. I shuttled back and forth several times and I was genuinely unable to say which scope offered the best overall view. Many on the forum have talked about the various hues that define different brands - both these scopes offer bright wide views and on this occasion I could not detect a noticeable hue on either scope. I am really pleased with the scope - I am still very new to birding and look forward to getting the most out of my new kit.
Jim
You've got some great birding ahead - and what a well made-scope the Nikon is, too. With the Zeiss, in practice, only the fine focusing wheel seems needed, making it far more user friendly than it might seem.

scampo said:
You've got some great birding ahead - and what a well made-scope the Nikon is, too. With the Zeiss, in practice, only the fine focusing wheel seems needed, making it far more user friendly than it might seem.

Do the 40x and 50x still offer that same crisp view when coupled with the ed 60? I know I should have tried them out at Cley but I was just concentrating
on making a choice of scope at 30x mag. Just tried the combo out in the back garden. Gutter about 30 metres away in slightly hazy conditions revealed a cobweb complete with spider going about his business. Great detail and a crisp, clear view. Amazed that such a small scope can deliver this performance.
Jim.

I hope you don't mind a Voltaire variation quote from Mikhail Kalashnikov: "Best is the enemy of good enough".

Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski are all making just very fine scopes, they offer good service and you can buy them worldwide at decent shops.
The discusion which is the best is not really important in my opinion. It's a pleasure to use any off them.

But the unique plus of Nikon is Price. They make buying a superb scope affordable! If money is no matter, lucky you :)

Enjoy birding, Martijn

Martijn E said:
I hope you don't mind a Voltaire variation quote from Mikhail Kalashnikov: "Best is the enemy of good enough".

Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski are all making just very fine scopes, they offer good service and you can buy them worldwide at decent shops.
The discusion which is the best is not really important in my opinion. It's a pleasure to use any off them.

But the unique plus of Nikon is Price. They make buying a superb scope affordable! If money is no matter, lucky you :)

Enjoy birding, Martijn

Your make a good point about cost - £800 was my limit. Within that budget this was the best (for me) of the smaller scopes. I tried Kowa and Opticron ed scopes and although good the wider view of the Nikon suited my bespectacled eyes. I have never tested a Leica or Swarovski but I'm sure they also offer superb views.
Will definitely enjoy my new hobby,
Cheers, Jim

Last edited:
Peewee said:
I finally received my ED82A scope. The scope came along with the 30x DS Eyepiece. (Zoom eyepiece was not available) Although I have hardly had the chance to use is I am pretty impressed by what I have seen so far.

The Scope was € 829,00 (€ 837 now) and the 30x DS Eyepiece € 182,37 (€ 192 now). P&P was € 18,00 from Germany to the Netherlands. That’s the cheapest in Europe (EU) I have seen so far.

I got it from www.dnet24.de .
If you are interested in the ED82A try this link.
http://www.dnet24.de/xt/product_info.php?products_id=501999&cPath=
(nice word hey “Fieldscopspeed” )

I must admit I was not very enthusiastic about them since they kept me waiting for quite some time but now that everything has arrived and considering the price I paid I can’t be disappointed. In other words. A bargain.

If you consider buying something from them I can say that it is very useful if you speak/read a little German. Most of their automated e-mails were in German. The most important e-mail is the one they send when they have everything ready for shipment. You then get al the info you need to transfer your money. (pay first, get later) This one is in both German and English.

And now I must hurry back to the scope because the sun and birds are out.

Cheers Peter.
Good for you ENJOY

passerine said:
Do the 40x and 50x still offer that same crisp view when coupled with the ed 60? I know I should have tried them out at Cley but I was just concentrating
on making a choice of scope at 30x mag. Just tried the combo out in the back garden. Gutter about 30 metres away in slightly hazy conditions revealed a cobweb complete with spider going about his business. Great detail and a crisp, clear view. Amazed that such a small scope can deliver this performance.
Jim.
Yes - all the Nikon eyepieces are excellent, although I think you have the best for birding. The zoom (20-60x) is also an excellent eyepiece - that said, take time to enjoy your new 30x - it's such knockout quality!

passerine said:
Finally bit the bullet and bought my first scope. Went along to Cley Spy in Norfolk and asked them to set up the Nikon ed 111 angled alongside the Zeiss 65 angled - both with the 30w eyepiece. The staff were very helpful and were happy to answer any questions. Both scopes offered superb views. I lined up a tree about 60 metres away (too hot for the birds!) and took my time getting used to the very different focusing systems. I was immediately at home with the Nikon single focus wheel and was soon able to pick out the detail on the leaves. I did not connect with the Zeiss dual wheel system at all - it struck me that I would not be happy with this system. I shuttled back and forth several times and I was genuinely unable to say which scope offered the best overall view. Many on the forum have talked about the various hues that define different brands - both these scopes offer bright wide views and on this occasion I could not detect a noticeable hue on either scope. I am really pleased with the scope - I am still very new to birding and look forward to getting the most out of my new kit.
Jim

Nice 1 Jim, I've just bought the ED82 to complement it's little bro the ED50, which I bought from Cley Spy. Well impressed with the 82, got it with the 30x eyepiece like yourself, absolutely stunning! I've also used it with the 50x eyepiece, (27x on the 50), which I already had & am equally impressed with that. I decided to go with the combo of 2 wide angles as opposed to the zoom as the view of the wides is just something else, despite the zoom being impressive.
Enjoy your new scope & welcome to the Nikon appreciation society!

Cheers,

John. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back