• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inverurie & Aberdeenshire (1 Viewer)

Stuart R

Hi

Off next week to Inverurie and would like to have some information as what to see in this area. Intend to go to the Ythan estuary (any King Eider?) and the Loch of Strathbeg but would be grateful for further information from local birders.

Many thanks

Stuart R

Grampian Region

There has been a King Eider along the coast from the Ythan and he could still turn up there.The Ythan shall have Common Eiders everywhere,as well as 3 species of Terns (including Little) and various waders and wildfowl.There is also a good chance of Osprey turning up.On the way from the Ythan to Strathbeg,you might like to drop into the "Bullers of Buchan" and see the magnificent cliffs and breeding Puffins,Guilliemots and Razorbills.If you fancy going a bit further north of Strathbeg,you might like to take in the breeding Gannet colony at Troup Head,near Banff.The only mainland colony in Scotland.Strathdon and Deeside are also easily reached from Inverurie and could be productive.PM myself for some areas,if you wish ? Good Luck.

Ben Nevis said:
There has been a King Eider along the coast from the Ythan and he could still turn up there.The Ythan shall have Common Eiders everywhere,as well as 3 species of Terns (including Little) and various waders and wildfowl.There is also a good chance of Osprey turning up.On the way from the Ythan to Strathbeg,you might like to drop into the "Bullers of Buchan" and see the magnificent cliffs and breeding Puffins,Guilliemots and Razorbills.If you fancy going a bit further north of Strathbeg,you might like to take in the breeding Gannet colony at Troup Head,near Banff.The only mainland colony in Scotland.Strathdon and Deeside are also easily reached from Inverurie and could be productive.PM myself for some areas,if you wish ? Good Luck.

Hi

Many thanks for the information.

Cheers

Stuart R

Drake King Eider and Surf Scoter both at Blackdog, just north of Aberdeen, on Sunday. Lots of seaduck there at the moment. The King Eider is often just sitting on the beach, although it can be surprisingly hard to pick out if it's asleep.

Fowlsheugh (just south of Stonehaven) is well worth a visit for breeding seabirds, don't know if they still do the boat trips from stonehaven harbour still but that was an excellent way to get close to the birds.
Also Montrose Basin and Loch of Kinnordy are not too far away and are always worth a visit.

Nick

There is a fair bit of information on the Grampian wildlife web about good sites (although some is a little out of date):

http://www.albaecology.co.uk/newwebsite/wheretogo/grampian/grampian.html

Also, for recent sightings:

http://www.albaecology.co.uk/cust-bin/newsboard/newsboard.cgi

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ABZ-Rare-Birds/

Fowlsheugh RSPB reserve is worth a visit for seabirds, particularly as you are likely to be passing Stonehaven on the way up.

Deeside is a good area for woodland and upland birds, but harder work than the coastal sites (Dinnet oakwood - only reliable wood warbler site in Aberdeenshire- is described as being north of Dinnet village on the wildlife web page above, but it is actually to the south, opposite the south end of the bridge over the Dee.)

Last edited:
Ythan Estuary/Sands of Forvie Info needed

Birdfriends

Does anyone have any useful insider information about precisely where to go and what might be about there next week (16-23rd April)? I have never been to the area before. Also any easy sites near Aberdeen (where I'm based) to see Scottish Crossbill?

Be grateful for any help.

David

black52bird said:
Also any easy sites near Aberdeen (where I'm based) to see Scottish Crossbill?

Glen Tanar (about 30 miles west of Aberdeen) is probably the nearest regular site for Scottish Crossbills. Unfortunately the woods there also have Parrot and Common Crossbills, so ID is not easy.

I will let others reply about the Ythan estuary as I haven't been there recently. However, the links in post #6 remain useful sources of general information.

Capercaillie71 said:
Glen Tanar (about 30 miles west of Aberdeen) is probably the nearest regular site for Scottish Crossbills. Unfortunately the woods there also have Parrot and Common Crossbills, so ID is not easy.

I will let others reply about the Ythan estuary as I haven't been there recently. However, the links in post #6 remain useful sources of general information.

Thanks Capercaillie

That's a big help so as not to lose hours wandering fruitlessly!! I can see I'll have to mug up carefully on my Crossbills, however!! I like a challenge!!

Best wishes

David

Stuart R said:
Hi

Off next week to Inverurie and would like to have some information as what to see in this area. Intend to go to the Ythan estuary (any King Eider?) and the Loch of Strathbeg but would be grateful for further information from local birders.

Many thanks

Stuart R

King Eider reported off Burghead today (Saturday). Bit of a hike for you, but that coast is well worth visiting for other stuff, too - including the dolphins, of course.

Ken Hall said:
Ospreys at the Ythan yesterday (Waulkmill) and several Dolphins at the entrance to Aberdeen harbour today.

Thanks Ken and Mippit

Most helpful.

Anyone else, with other suggestions graidly received.

Thanks

David

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back