• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favorite Photography Books? (1 Viewer)

Juniper_Jade

Hi all,

My first forays into nature photography were back in the pre-digital age. Back then, I had two favorite books, both geared (obviously) toward film photography:

1) The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques, by John Shaw

2) The Art of Photographing Nature, by Art Wolfe and Martha Hill

The Shaw book, as the title suggests, was filled with wonderfully useful information and advice regarding the technical aspects of nature photography.

The Art Wolfe/Martha Hill book placed a greater emphasis on the art of seeing, the elements of design and strong composition, the use of color and light to convey mood, etc. It featured sumptuously beautiful photographs by Wolfe, alongside his somewhat less successful versions of the same subject matter, for purposes of comparison. It also included very interesting commentary from Martha Hill, who spent 14 years working as a photo editor for Audubon magazine.

I was EXTREMELY excited to learn that Art Wolfe has revised his excellent book for the digital age; it is scheduled for release in April of this year, and I cannot WAIT to get my hands on it!!

BUT, I do wish that John Shaw would do a similar revision of his classic guide to field techniques, updated for digital photography. I don't think he has any plans to do so, but a girl can hope! Some of his advice is still valid for digital, but I imagine that some of it is not. Since I'm fairly new to DSLRs, I'm not sure exactly how the advice for film translates to digital.

So far, I haven't come across a really excellent guide to the technical aspects of digital bird-and-nature photography. I'd be especially interested in any book that included references to the techniques of film photography, and how they apply in the digital realm.

Of course, I'd also be interested in any good, up-to-date books that specifically focus on digital bird photography.

So I'd like to know:

What books have YOU found most helpful in your quest to become a good bird-and-nature photographer??

--What are your favorite books on the artistic aspects of the craft?

--Your favorite books on the technical aspects of digital nature photography? (can be general techniques OR specifically focused on a particular camera body or a particular technique)

--Your favorite book on bird photography?

--Your favorite books on photo processing with PS or other software?

You can recommend a really excellent website if you absolutely must, but I'm definitely more interested in your favorite print books on the subject.

Thanks! :)

Jade of the Junipers,

I too started with an old film SLR (handed down fully manual Russian jobbie, then a programmable AF auto - Minolta700si + all the horizon munching, high dollar doodads - a $5K kit now worth less than a coupla hundred!) :eek!: :-O

Most of the basics of film and digital are the same, with digital adding extra demands for white balance, dynamic range, processing, etc.

Two books which I found revealed the secrets of the 'art' were:

Robert Rankin's masterful treatise on light: Wilderness Light http://www.rankin.com.au/books.htm
Steve Parish's informative: Bird Photography http://www.pascalpress.com.au/Wild-Australia-Guide-Bird-Photography-p/9781741935165.htm
http://www.steveparish.com.au/blog/?p=1251

Both very worthwhile getting, from two of our best wilderness /wildlife photographers.
They have many other beautiful books - well worth a gander too .....

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back