• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1.4 Convertor purchase?? (1 Viewer)

Stuart R

Hi

Just bought myself the new Canon 100-440 to use on my new 7DMk 2. With the cashback from the lens I could buy the Canon 1.4 Convertor. Question is - Is there any point with this combo? Or should I keep the money for the 400 5.6 next summer

Thanks

Stuart R

I have neither lens but if I had the zoom I don't think there is any point in having the prime, if I had the prime I would probably have bought the 70-200 f2.8 .
As for the TC, you will only be able to use it if you have a 7D2, any 1D or a 5D3 if you want to auto focus with it. (I note you have the 7D2 but others might not who reads the reply!)
The extra reach will be useful but it will slow down the ability to focus and you might find it only suitable for static subjects. cheers Dave

Hi

Just bought myself the new Canon 100-440 to use on my new 7DMk 2. With the cashback from the lens I could buy the Canon 1.4 Convertor. Question is - Is there any point with this combo? Or should I keep the money for the 400 5.6 next summer

Thanks

Stuart R

I agree with Dave that buying the prime will not give you anything you haven't got now. As for the converter: image quality remains very good and even AF is not bad at all. You will limited to centre + 4 expansion points for AF, though.
Peter

I agree with Dave that buying the prime will not give you anything you haven't got now. As for the converter: image quality remains very good and even AF is not bad at all. You will limited to centre + 4 expansion points for AF, though.
Peter

+1 - I have 7dmkII and the new 100-400 and my 400 5.6 does not get used now. I would it if I already had teh zoom. You could always rent / borrow one and see what benefits it would give you.

Good luck

John

PS is Ma Brows (grey Horse) still open in the village?? Used to live there many years ago!

I would agree with Dave Williams. Whilst the Canon 400 F5.6 is an excellent lens for sensible money there is little point in having it if you have a Canon 100-400 Mk2. Your funds would be better spent in improving another part of your photography set-up.
I have not tried the combination of the 100-400 Mk2 with a 1.4 extender personally but other users report good results. Naturally this combination will be F8 so, whilst your 7D2 will autofocus, AF will be slow and you will need good light. Having said that it appears that good results can be achieved if the conditions are right.
If you do decide to buy an extender then I would suggest that you get the Canon 1.4 Mk3. Whilst there is little (if any) IQ difference between the Canon 1.4 Mk2 and Mk3 models the Mk3 is designed to focus faster and integrate better with the latest Canon cameras and lenses - namely cameras like the 7D2 and the 100-400 Mk2.
Happy deciding!

I would agree with Dave Williams. Whilst the Canon 400 F5.6 is an excellent lens for sensible money there is little point in having it if you have a Canon 100-400 Mk2. Your funds would be better spent in improving another part of your photography set-up. (...)
+1! (I owned the 5.6/400 before I switched to the 100-400II.)

Regarding the teleconverter: I tried the Canon EF 1.4x III - the best extender for Canon money can buy - with my 7DII/100-400II combo for a week. It worked OK but my photos were not superior to cropped/scaled up results of pictures with the bare zoom. So I returned the extender to my dealer and haven't missed it yet.

Thanks for all the advice - think I will forget buying the convertor and concentrate getting used to the new camera and lens combo

To nc_killie: - Ma Browns is still going strong but the pub is now a brewery pub and is run by a delightful Chinese guy called Paul who cooks and serves food on the other side of the pub - best of both worlds - have a pint and then a Chinese meal. Also still regular folk singing in the pub most Sunday nights. Find it on the Web by searching for greyhorsebalerno

Thanks for every bodies help

Stuart R

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back