Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird of prey, Bulgaria

Old Saturday 19th May 2018, 17:23   #26
Trystan

HB for me too.

World total (IOC) 2088 Iberian chiffchaff ; UK total 342 Iberian chiffchaff; Yorkshire total 293 Lesser yellowlegs
Old Saturday 19th May 2018, 17:53   #27
nobbyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoveringScot View Post
The wings are broader, shorter and less pointed. Apart from that quite similar.
Try it again with the 1st picture from this post and then the middle picture from the other post I linked to. Open them side by side... By the way I don’t think you’ll get a positive ID from this bird but it shows, as others have said, that flight silhouette can be very deceptive.
Old Sunday 20th May 2018, 21:03   #28
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyball View Post
Try it again with the 1st picture from this post and then the middle picture from the other post I linked to. Open them side by side... By the way I don’t think you’ll get a positive ID from this bird but it shows, as others have said, that flight silhouette can be very deceptive.
Yes, I've done that. The main reason I favour Osprey over HB is that I have never seen any Honey Buzzard, either in real life or on film, showing such pointed wing ends. The reason they are so is, I believe, that the hand of Osprey is narrower and gradually tapering towards the wing end, so when closed they show a more noticeable point.

By the way digitally enhancing the second photo and enlarging and rotating it, shows that there are 2-3 *curved*, slightly-separated primaries at the wing-tips, also rather characteristic of Osprey from other photos I saw in an image search yesterday.

Still, judgments differ.
Old Sunday 20th May 2018, 21:23   #29
Valéry Schollaert
Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoveringScot View Post
Yes, I've done that. The main reason I favour Osprey over HB is that I have never seen any Honey Buzzard, either in real life or on film, showing such pointed wing ends. The reason they are so is, I believe, that the hand of Osprey is narrower and gradually tapering towards the wing end, so when closed they show a more noticeable point.

By the way digitally enhancing the second photo and enlarging and rotating it, shows that there are 2-3 *curved*, slightly-separated primaries at the wing-tips, also rather characteristic of Osprey from other photos I saw in an image search yesterday.

Still, judgments differ.
Among other things that makes OP bird totally different from Osprey, you can simply compare the tail length to width of wings at base. OP bird has a tail almost 2 times too long for Osprey (ratio of 1/1 instead or 1/2); this can be positively measured, not only judgment.
Old Sunday 20th May 2018, 23:12   #30
gerdwichers8

I don't get it; why would you guys not call it a Marsh Harrier?

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st May 2018, 05:14   #31
Deb Burhinus

I posted a link to Montagu’s over the page (I dont see how this could be anything other than a harrier imo with those tail and wing proportions) in the raptor quizz (no.14) but those wings dont look as pointy when you enlarge the image so I could be persuaded on Marsh (which is no.17 on the link).

I’m sure most birders on here are pretty good on id-ing on the gizz of a distant raptor ‘blur’ in the field, probably better than I am, but the trouble with a still photo, movement and flight behaviour is missing and there is a tendancy to over analysing a frozen fragment of movement that can produce a distortion of the true general impression of size and structure.

There is also the consideration of primary moult, P7s? when image is enlarged, which could support a female Marsh

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Monday 21st May 2018 at 05:34.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: