• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this bird please? Central Minnesota - May 2013 (1 Viewer)

mjbaker

Hi everyone. My first post here. Looks like the PERFECT birding forum. Thanks for helping me out.

Sorry for the poor photos...

It was nearly dark so I used a very high ISO. (Two photos included.)

I've looked and looked online but can't be sure. Could this be a blue grosbeak?

WhatBirdIsThisBrighter.jpg

WhatBirdIsThis.jpg

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike

Welcome to Birforum. Yes, Blue Grosbeak. The darker 'face' and two coloured bill, amongst other things, distinguish it from the similar Indigo Bunting.

Chris

Blue grosbeak would be unusual in Minnesota, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I don't see any wing bars. Indigo bunting for me.

I think the seam in the wood of the deck is making the bill look much bigger than it is, hence the grosbeak mistake (i thought it was a grosbeak looking at the thumbnail).

Mike, welcome to birdforum. In case you haven't realized this, the reason it is not looking quite right yet is that it is in active moult, changing into summer plumage.

Niels

Thanks everyone....

We did have a few indigo buntings at the feeders but they were all blue and didn't see them often. I thought they were passing through.

When this one had the brown wings I couldn't figure it out. The reason I asked here was because this morning I got my weekly email from the The Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union and I looked at their recent sightings page.

They had this shot of a recently seen blue grosbeak on this page:
http://moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl

So I didn't know what to think, but would have liked it to be a blue grosbeak. -grin-

Thanks everyone for making me smarter about identifying birds. Especially this one.

Mike

P.S. The shot below is the blue grosbeak from the Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union site.

4184-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back