• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7Dmkii question (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Hi guys,

Have just purchased a 7Dmkii and have been reading many reviews etc...but was just wondering what would folks on here say are the best CF and SD cards to use...and what about spare batteries? Cheers for any advice

Ads

I like the Lexar 1000x (now 1066x) 32gb CF cards in my 7D2. At 9 fps they give around 43 to 45 RAW files before the buffer fills.
The SD card I use is the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s 32gb which gives over 30 RAW files before slowing.

I find the DOT.Photo LP-E6 compatibles to be pretty good, they last nearly as long as the Canon originals and are fully reporting (capacity, shots taken etc).

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/...n=googlebase&gclid=CKnGwKja588CFcKVGwodrVoMiw

I bought mine from Amazon but they are a bit cheaper at the above link - note this is for two battery packs.

Hope this helps.

I have also recently bought the 7D Mkll and in the same dilemma regarding CF and SD cards.
Reading various articles on the web the "best" cards seem to be those that enable the fastest cards for buffering etc. but may not be the most cost effective for us photographers that do not wish to take 50 shots in 2 seconds and pay a small fortune for the card.
I know that my existing CF SanDisk Ultra 30Mb/s 8GB works in the 7D MKll but I would welcome recommendations for a more cost effective card that allows for a reasonable continuous images (eg. up to 10 shots).

Sorry Adam, I'm not trying to muscle in but I was literally going to add a thread when I saw yours.

Regarding the battery I have bought BAXXTAR PRO-ENERGY Battery for Canon LP-E6N with Chip technology - which seems to perform well and is about a third of the price of a Canon battery.

John

Hi guys,

Have just purchased a 7Dmkii and have been reading many reviews etc...but was just wondering what would folks on here say are the best CF and SD cards to use...and what about spare batteries? Cheers for any advice

Ads

Re. non-OEM batteries - another point to consider in addition to the possibility of less rigorous quality control in 'cheap' replacements is the mAh rating or ability to store power over time. Even good quality replacements cannot be expected to match the life of an OEM battery if the mAh ratings don't match.

No doubt there are many other brands worth buying but purchasing through Duracell Direct has worked for me.

No worries John :)
I just went with 1st John's suggestions :)

I would not claim that my card choices were the best but they do exceed Canon specifications and, above all, they work! You will not be disappointed, they keep up with the camera very well and I have yet to fill the buffer on my 7D2.

Have tried all sorts of non-OME batteries, I find they work well on my 7d giving 700+ shots but on my 7d mk2 they show empty after 300+. If I then put them in the 7d it shows they are still full. I now only use canon in the mk2

OK...had a great test run with the new equip out in Dubai. Here's maybe a silly question but can I download the pics straight onto my laptop via USB without downloading the supplied software?
Just it states not to in the instructions......but I remember using Canon software before and it was a bit of a mare to transfer into other picture files etc....

Yes you should be able to. I don't usually bother with Canon's software - I just make up my own folders and download them straight from the camera into those.

If your laptop has a card reader on the side, just take the card out of the camera and download them that way. I always download via a card reader onto my main pc, its quick and no need for any other software.

I have given up on card readers. I keep finding the pins for CF get bent (this may just be a lack of competence!) so I now connect the camera directly.

Rob

Hey all...tried to plug straight into computer but it wouldn't download pics at all so had to bite the bullet and load the software....and pleasantly surprised that there are no issues and it saved the pics into day folders in My Pics

I have given up on card readers. I keep finding the pins for CF get bent (this may just be a lack of competence!) so I now connect the camera directly.

Rob

I had the same problem, Rob, so I also now just leave the CF card in the camera and connect via USB. I originally was using SanDisk Exteme Plus 80 MB/s 32GB SD cards but occasionally filled the buffer so switched to Kingston ultimate 266X CF cards 16GB and eliminated that problem. I then ran across Lexar Professional 800X 64GB CF cards on sale at a heavily reduced price when shopping for computer memory and switched to one of those which has worked flawlessly and came in handy when I was on vacation and the internet was too slow for several nights. Never filled it and had to switch cards. I also have never had a buffer pause while using it.

I am using a Mac desktop and am still using the Apple Photos as it auto downloads when whenever Photos is active and I connect the camera and I can do a reasonable job of adjusting images without spending inordinate amounts of time on each image.

On the battery, I got the camera store to throw in a couple of spare batteries which are STK (Sterling Tech) LP-E6 Repacement Li-ion Battery and are rated higher than the Canon battery that came with the camera but they do show a faster discharge than the Canon and I have noticed I start having trouble with the autofocus when they start showing low on charge. They are a decent battery, but the Canon is noticeable better.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back