• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens choice for rainforest (1 Viewer)

claretjohn

I am off to Costa Rica in a few weeks and have a dilemma as to what camera/lens combinations to take with me. The temperature will be in high 20,s/low 30,s with high rainforest humidity so I am trying to reduce my carry around kit to a minimum.
Although predominately for birding and mammals I will also be interested in landscape, insects, (anything !). My kit comprises:-
Canon 7D Mk2 + 100-400 Mk2 (Definitely in the bag)
Canon 50D (backup camera)
Sigma 10-20mm, f3.5
Sigma 17-70mm DC f2.8-4.5 (unstabilised)
Tamron 16-300mm, f3.5-6.3

I am thinking that the 7D/100-400 combo plus the 50D/Tamron 16-300 should cover most opportunities but I would be interested in any comments /recommendations.

Many thanks.......John

Don't you have a 1.4 TC ? Works well with the 100-400 for those longer range shots of which there will be plenty of opportunities I would think. Was when I went !
What to take is always a dilemma but if you are going walkabout the 7D & 100-400 plus a spare battery and a 1.4TC in your pocket would make life more comfortable than trying to carry too much. I tend to use a point and shoot for my scenic shots as they are just records for me. Having a back up back at the hotel is always a good idea and of course if you are out and about in a car it's not a problem to take them then.
If you haven't been to CR before, you are in for a treat. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks Dave and yes I do have a 1.4TC which will be in the bag.
It is my first trip to CR and we will be hiring a car but I wouldn't want to leave anything in it having read about all the car break-in reports....maybe its not as bad as led to believe.
I have also read that the 100-400mm has decent minimum focussing distance although not macro so for the small critters this might be ok.
If I convince the wife to carry the point and shoot then this will also lighten the load :)

I read that driving was awful too but I thought it was a pleasure. Lots of rough road though when you go off the main ones so worth having a high clearance vehicle. I found myself regularly using the car as a hide when I was out and about too.
In terms of security I don't think it's any different to being here in the UK. All depends on where you happen to park it!

Yes I've read the same about the driving but good to hear your comment. We have booked a 4 x 4 so not too worried and looking forward to the challenge. You're right security is more likely to be a problem in popular tourist places, as anywhere in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back