• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Repairs (1 Viewer)

Eazyglider

Hi, Can anyone suggest where I could get some RSPB (WPG) 8.5 x 42 binos repaired? I've had them about 8 years now and suddenly I can't get them to focus on both sides. If I focus on one side the other is blurred. I'm near York. Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

I couldn't find any warranty information on the WPGs. It might be they are still covered? Viking supply the RSPB binoculars and provide servicing and repairs. I suspect they are more likely to know if it is covered or not. 01986 875315

David

Ten year warranty on WPG's so if you have the receipt they may be covered. Can be handed in at any reserve and will be sent to Halesworth, Suffolk where Joe should be able to fix them.

Is that Joe who used to work with Dougie in Glasgow? He was rather unsure about moving south and initially only agreed to a six month trial. Glad he decided to stay.

David

Hi, Can anyone suggest where I could get some RSPB (WPG) 8.5 x 42 binos repaired? I've had them about 8 years now and suddenly I can't get them to focus on both sides. If I focus on one side the other is blurred. I'm near York. Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

Being this whole thread is by Brits, I might mention Tony Kay of OptRep.

Bill

PS Sorry to break the cycle. :cat:

Eazyglider

Supporting Lee (Post #2).

Gary has just done a good job for me at a very reasonable price.

Stephen

Ive has an old pair of 7x35 with Gary for a few months for a simple clean and collimate. When I got them I realised they’d been dropped (mark on the objective ring), so I reseated one prism. They were usable, but not perfect so I sent them in for a clean and collimate. After a month or so they arrived back but the collimation was way off. They had been well packed but the box was a little squished, so I sent them back. I have not had any reply to my emails in the meantime, so my experiences are currently not too favourable.

PEterW

Ive has an old pair of 7x35 with Gary for a few months for a simple clean and collimate. When I got them I realised they’d been dropped (mark on the objective ring), so I reseated one prism. They were usable, but not perfect so I sent them in for a clean and collimate. After a month or so they arrived back but the collimation was way off. They had been well packed but the box was a little squished, so I sent them back. I have not had any reply to my emails in the meantime, so my experiences are currently not too favourable.

PEterW

Hi, PEterW:

You are fortunate to have more qualified, out of warranty, techs in your country than I have in mine. And from what I hear and have read Gary is top drawer among them. Although I don't have the wherewithal to defend him in your situation, one of your comments threw up a red flag to me.

In part you said, "... for a simple clean and collimate."

I wish I had a dollar for every time heard or read something like that when the customer HAD NO IDEA what he or she was talking about. This is not to impugn or trivialize your comment at all, just to share many unfortunate experiences. And then there were the times when someone would enter the store on the optics shop level, drop off a binocular telling a dumbfounded staff member something like: "Whatever it takes ... I'll clear you to $25," when the repair meter ran at $120 an hour* with a one-hour minimum. Then, when the customer was found and brought into reality, would say something like: "Hell, I didn't pay that much for them, new," as if I were responsible for his cheapness, naiveté, or being clueless as to what would be involved in the repair. The owners of FMTR-SXs or Seahawks never asked about the cost. The owners of Bushnells or TASCOs always did.

You might want to contact Gary to ask some questions sprinkled with "whys." Those answers might be very informative. :cat:

Just a thought.

Bill

* PS I did freebies whenever possible.

Probably too much work on hand.

If one has to ask how much a Rolls Royce costs to buy or to service, then one cannot afford a Rolls Royce.

Probably too much work on hand.

If one has to ask how much a Rolls Royce costs to buy or to service, then one cannot afford a Rolls Royce.

So, true! When we left Seattle, I had to sell our Silver Cloud AND Silver Shadow. Now, I have to be seen driving around town in a year-old Bentley. Oh, the humanities. :-C:cat:

Bill

PS Is a Bentley an "ALPHA"?

Last edited:
So, true! When we left Seattle, I had to sell our Silver Cloud AND Silver Shadow. Now, I have to be seen driving around town in a year-old Bentley. Oh, the humanities. :-C:cat:

Bill

PS Is a Bentley an "ALPHA"?

I have done work with optics, lazers, interferometers etc in the past, good friends with our optical workshop guys too.. Perfectly happy giving things a “spit and polish” with a lint free cloth and some IPA. I am happy to disassemble these things, but lack the collimation gubbins to do things “properly”. Nowadays I just “play” with 3D printing…..
If a fix was deemed uneconomic I’d be happy to have a go myself, show the kids how stuff works. I expect you’re right about the amount of work he’s got on, a reply would be nice.

PEterW

I have done work with optics, lazers, interferometers etc in the past, good friends with our optical workshop guys too.. Perfectly happy giving things a “spit and polish” with a lint free cloth and some IPA. I am happy to disassemble these things, but lack the collimation gubbins to do things “properly”. Nowadays I just “play” with 3D printing…..
If a fix was deemed uneconomic I’d be happy to have a go myself, show the kids how stuff works. I expect you’re right about the amount of work he’s got on, a reply would be nice.

PEterW

Not knowing about collimation just puts you in the league with 100% of the folks on the Internet who THINK they do ... and don't. But since I get picked on so much for being a braggart, know-it-all, I will get back to you with a PM. If you have done good work on the other things you've mentioned, you won't find collimation being that much of a chore. :cat:

Bill

Binoculars returned, clean, collimated (to within the tolerance of my uncalibrated eyes) and well packaged. Very reasonable price too, happy customer. Nice to have their wide views back.

PEterW

Not knowing about collimation just puts you in the league with 100% of the folks on the Internet who THINK they do ... and don't. But since I get picked on so much for being a braggart, know-it-all, I will get back to you with a PM. If you have done good work on the other things you've mentioned, you won't find collimation being that much of a chore. :cat:

Bill

Binoculars returned, clean, collimated (to within the tolerance of my uncalibrated eyes) and well packaged. Very reasonable price too, happy customer. Nice to have their wide views back.

PEterW

"Returned," does that mean you sent them out? Did Gary do it for you? :cat:

Bill

Yep, sent out well before I learnt of the secrets of 3 axis collimation....

PEter

For those willing to do a little research, there are no "secrets." :cat:

Bill

PS We got London weather here, today. It reminds me of Western Washington.

I am wondering if some on here know how many binocular repair shops in the US offer full repair services.

This does not include the mfrs. but independent shops with full collimation ability.

I purchased a used Nikon SE from Land, Sea and Sky in Houston a few years back that had some
dust inside, they cleaned it and it was returned as good as new.

I am familiar with Suddarth Optical.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back