• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serious question about the Nikon EDG (1 Viewer)

black crow

I noticed that on Amazon there is a $1354 price difference between the Nikon EDG 8x32 and 8x42. What would merit such a difference in price for 10mm of objective size? Are the 32mm shabby in comparison to the 42mm or is it something else?

The retail price in the US is only about $100 difference, I have seen vendor prices for the 8X42 grossly exaggerated on Amazon. Caesar can add to this, Bob?.

I have both the 8X32 and the 8X42, both great glass.

Andy W.

Ah I see, I can't imagine anyone paying that.
What's also interesting is that the expensive ones don't list who the seller is that I could see so maybe they come direct from Nikon. The reasonable priced ones state the seller but they don't carry the 42mm.

Last edited:
Hi,

one reason might be that the Nikon EDG series is optically top notch and built very well but the models tend to be a bit heavier and larger than some competitors (650g / 23oz (90g / 3oz more than an UVHD) for the 8x32 and also a bit larger than the smallest 8x30 examples).

With larger aperture bins such differences might be not so important, but since one of the main selling points of the 8x30 format is a light and compact package, it might hurt more with the small models.

BF member Holger Merltz wrote a review of 8x30 bins some years ago... the EDG was best in test trailed by FL and EL (originally german, translation by google).

https://translate.google.com/transl...ttp://www.holgermerlitz.de/8x32/test8x32.html

Joachim

Last edited:
Beyond weight, is there another reason EDGs didn't really catch on despite some impressive tech specs? Comments I've heard about higher-end Nikons generally revolve around seeming less bright, overdoing gross contrast vs fine details and so on. They're not easy to find, and I haven't tried one myself.

Beyond weight, is there another reason EDGs didn't really catch on despite some impressive tech specs? Comments I've heard about higher-end Nikons generally revolve around seeming less bright, overdoing gross contrast vs fine details and so on. They're not easy to find, and I haven't tried one myself.

Yes, there is another reason... the bragging rights are with the teutonic trinity... a Nikon can be anything from $80 to $2500 or even $6000 (ok, the WX are quite impressive)..

Joachim

I noticed that on Amazon there is a $1354 price difference between the Nikon EDG 8x32 and 8x42. .....

The non promotional Nikon USA listed price before being discontinued was $2,299.95 for the Nikon EDG 8X32 and $2,399.95 for the Nikon EDG 8X42.

Specify, what prices did you see? Sounds like you came across a listing from a sham seller.

Selling for more than what Nikon charges at retail is a sham. Amazon is no different than Ebay in this respect, take a look as some pricing on the bay, some glass priced higher than a new WX, so know your seller.

Andy W.

What kind of a fool would pay those prices when way lower prices are on the same page lol. I saw something was odd right away and knew you'd be able to set me straight no problem. Yes tis true guys I'm just here using you all to make my life easier. :t:

$3350 Take a look I don't think Amazon Prime has sham sellers but could be I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&sprefix=nikon+edg,aps,218&crid=3N9KZ6ZIH5BEQ

Thanks for the additional detail. At first I figured this would be from an Amazon Marketplace third party seller. To my surprise, the seller is Amazon itself. What is that all about? I have been losing enthusiasm for Amazon over the last couple of years and this just puts them down even more on my list.

Amazon.jpg

As a side note, to the best of my knowledge, PRIME is just a benefits package and has nothing to do with classifying sellers.

Amazon has considerable power over the retail market and that can impact vendors and buyers. They will not sell some Google products because they compete with some Amazon products. Just the other day, it came out that they will not sell the Last Jedi on disc unless the buyer is a Prime subscriber. I suspect these tactics will increase as Amazon gets bigger. I do not see these actions as a positive direction.

Now, for the Nikon EDG-II 8X32, a most excellent binocular. Optics Planet shows 1 left for $1,999.99 and they currently have a 10% off checkout code of HURRY75 (ending 4/25/2018) that brings the out the door total to $1,799.99 when free ground shipping is selected.

I have a EDG-II 8X32 and an EDG-II 10X42. The quality of the 32mm is right up there with the 42mm, the only differences being those that would be expected between a 32mm vs a 42mm and an 8X vs a 10X.

I think that 10% off only applies to 100 products at Optics planet. When I clicked on the deal it showed me 100 products and only about 3 were binoculars.

The retail price in the US is only about $100 difference, I have seen vendor prices for the 8X42 grossly exaggerated on Amazon. Caesar can add to this, Bob?.

I have both the 8X32 and the 8X42, both great glass.

Andy W.

Andy,

I have never bought anything other than books off Amazon.

As for the EDGs, they are discontinued binoculars even though they are excellent ones. The only ones I would consider buying are brand new models or Demos sold by Sporting Goods dealers in the USA or directly from Nikon.

That is how I purchased my Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA, (Discontinued from a dealer in Canada); Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL, (New and discontinued) and my Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN (new and discontinued) and my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B, (a discontinued Demo) and a Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline as a Demo. I saved good money on all of them and registered them with the manufacturers with no problem.

Bob

I have two things against EDG's. They are bigger than other comparable alpha's and their resale is lousy. Most people don't understand paying $2K for a NIKON. They are thinking M7's for $500. I had to sell my LNIB Nikon 8x32 EDG II for $1K to move it. Just my experience. I would never pay $2K for even a new EDG especially now that they are discontinued.

Bob,

Sorry to infer you bought off Amazon, I would have no idea. Just looking for confirmation of prices directly from Nikon regarding the EDG.

Andy W.

Buying a binocular for its resale value is probably not what most people have in mind when they buy one.

What Bob said in post #15 is good advice, but that's playing the long game, and BC, you've got the fever, or the itch! No stopping you!

There was a sporting goods store in Montana last year that sold off their EDG's for a huge discount, I think around $1250. It was new stock, several years old.
They had an 8x42, and a 10x42.

I was periodically tempting myself with the used 8x42 EDG listing at B&H, but that one disappeared a few days ago, after sitting there for probably a year... Did anyone here on the forum buy it? $1599...

There's an eBay listing from Japan for a new one at $1598...

There was a 7x42 for sale on the forum in the $1200 range a few weeks back.

Bottom line: if you gotta have it now, its going to cost you. If you wait, you'll eventually get a better price.

One way to look at justifying expense in this rarefied endeavor is to compare the 8x42 EDG to the Noctivid. Look at weight, size, FOV, optical quality... then ask yourself, is the Noctivid worth $900 more than an EDG?

-Bill

Bill,

I take it you are warm on the 8X42. If so they are tough to find, I lucked out with mine, but placed an order with Nikon for a friend, 5 months later Nikon US stated that they could not fill the order, archived...etc. so that ended that.
The only one I do not have is the 7X42 which I will find sooner than later, at the right price.

That was a good deal for $1250.00 for pricing on the 8 and 10X.

Andy W.

I think that 10% off only applies to 100 products at Optics planet. When I clicked on the deal it showed me 100 products and only about 3 were binoculars.

Nope. The Optics Planet 10% discount does apply to the Nikon EDG-II 8X32. Looks like you did not try adding it to the cart and applying the HURRY75 code.

EDG Optics Planet.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back