• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Bird White Wings and Tail (1 Viewer)

jbirds

Hello all.

Very first post and I hope the picture comes through. I'm extremely new to bird watching and wanted to send this pic of a yellow bird with white wings and a white tail. I cant find it in any books and the few I know that watch birds cant identify either. I live in Northern Ohio and the bird always comes to the thistle to eat. It appears to be some kind of finch. Let me know if anything can help.

Thanks again

Attachments

• YellowWhite 007.jpg
    YellowWhite 007.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 376
Looks like an American goldfinch from shape and size ... I guess it is a colour mutant that doesn´t produce melanin (the black colour) , sometimes such mutations happen.

Only other possibility would be escaped canary, but as said it looks more like american gold finch on body structure...

Oh and by the way:

Welcome to BF!!

Joern

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, jbirds. Think you will find it an interesting place. Agree with the others on American Goldfinch.

If this bird is a goldfinch then it has major pigment issues as Larry said where the wings shoulds be dark they are white. The other birds are normal goldies.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back