• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rustic or something else? (1 Viewer)

Nerine

I thought maybe Rustic. Caught in my trap 17 June.
Can anyone help please?

Nerine

Attachments

• moths 17 June 034.jpg
    moths 17 June 034.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 85
I'm going to say a well marked Vines (being awkward) - It looks rather sandy coloured and quite worn. I would have thought Rustic would be looking fresher at the moment.

Tricky one. Yes, Paul, it was sandy coloured, quite pale really. I hadn't thought of Vine's. If I ever get one like this in the trap again, is there anything specific I should look for to distinguish Vine's from Rustic?

Thanks for replies too, Brian and Ken.

Nerine

Vine's can look quite common quaker like with very pronounced stigmata... but it's hard to give hard-and-fast rules. I'm not too good on hindwings!
Ken

I always think Rustics look quite grey with a very glossy forewing. Vines rustic is often quite pale sandy coloured. As Brian said the pure white hind wing is a good feature. There a difficult bunch to be certain of though and I wouldnt necessarily take my word on it. What features do others use?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back