• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phone scoping (1 Viewer)

Woody1

I hope this is the right place to post here.
I have Kowa TSN-880 serise with a TE-11WZ eye piece and a Samsung Galaxy Android phone and I am looking for a attachment that will allow me to attach my phone to the eye piece so I can take some pictures . I have been managing at the moment by just holding up the phone to the eye piece with limited results. So can anyone recomend such an attachment for my scope and phone are were I could get one.

Hi,

phonescoping adapters are readily available from several suppliers online, but I found them to be expensive for what you get. I found a video on youtube of how to make your own and did just that for a fraction of the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGA0ptUJaCk

I've had good results from it and if you decide to change phone you can make another one for the cost of a cheap case.

Cheers

Hi,

phonescoping adapters are readily available from several suppliers online, but I found them to be expensive for what you get. I found a video on youtube of how to make your own and did just that for a fraction of the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGA0ptUJaCk

I've had good results from it and if you decide to change phone you can make another one for the cost of a cheap case.

Cheers

Thanks for the information that is something to look at doing could make something at work as I am an c.n.c engineer

Kowa offers good adapters for phones, they work great: http://www.kowaproducts.com/digiscoping/KowaTSN-GA4SGA5SDigiscopingadapter/

II think they have it for the Galaxy s4 and s5, but you can easily adapt it for other phones, by buying a hard case and gluing the metal plate of the adapter to the new case.

You'll find also more info on phonescoping down in the digiscoping forum. http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=716

Would if they would fit my J7 Galaxy phone, thanks for the links and information
Cheer all.

I made a similar one to that YouTube video, but instead of a lens cap I found a plastic tub of sodium bicarbonate fitted my Zeiss lens perfectly. Being longer than a lens cap gives much more support and I can leave it on the scope without the weight of the phone pulling it off. I reckon just using a lens cap wouldn't be very secure. The tricky bit is getting the camera well centred, I like the idea of using temporary glue to hold it, I used superglue which gives a few seconds to adjust it before it sets and then squirted a two part epoxy glue after removing the phone and scope from the adapter. Another tip is to trim the case so you can slide the phone in and out easily. Oh and I glued some circles of butyl rubber inside the tub so the camera lens was the right distance from the scope.

Would if they would fit my J7 Galaxy phone

- Buy the Kowa adapter for S4 or S5
- Buy a simple hardcase for your J5
- Take off the metal plate of the adapter from the hardcase it comes with. Just pull it off carefully. It is glued to the case with a strong double-sided tape. The tape sticks to the adapter plate, so you can simply glue it on your new case. You only need to to take care to center it on the camera of your new phone.

I've done it twice already with mine, as I changed the phone meanwhile. It's easy to switch and it sticks really well.

DIY is certainly equally good, if you manage to find a fitting tube as shown by Bartolli.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back