• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in flight with 750UZ (1 Viewer)

helenol

How can I ever manage to get a decent photo of a bird in flight?

I have dozens and dozens of photos of a clear blue sky.

I am using the Olympus750UZ with the Tcon17. When I focus on the subject bird, I half press the button to bring it into focus, by the time that has happened, the bird has buggered off, and is no longer in focus, or indeed, in the frame!

The attached were taken the other day, the red kite, I would have thought, is a good bird to practise photography on, as he tends to glide quite slow and is large enough to focus on. However, the pic is always blurred and very grainy. The photos were taken on a dark grey day, I substituted the dark sky on one of the photos for blue in PS Elements. I realise the dark day wasn't the best for taking pics.

What am I doing wrong? :h?:

Attachments

• P1101011redkite copy.jpg
    P1101011redkite copy.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 189
  • P1101021redkite copy.jpg
    P1101021redkite copy.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 184
  • P1101020redkite copy.jpg
    P1101020redkite copy.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 195
Hi Helen

You're certainly finding some fine subjects to practice on, even if they are a little difficult to capature with the camera.

To lighten the birds I'd be applying a bit of EV compensation of up to +/- 1. It's worth experimenting when there is a strong backlighting.

As regards getting the focus right that will always be difficult. I know that one technique is to prefocu the camera using manual focus at roughly the right distance the bird is away picking out a nearby landmark feature such as a tree or post etc... and waiting for the bird to fly past again. It works on the sea cliffs at Bempton so it should for rators too - if they're soaring.

If the camera has a burst or sequence mode then try experimenting with that. I use that for birds in flight when digiscoping panning as I take the shots.

Which ever way you look at it they are difficult to take and I have struggled even with the Olympus C2100UZ.

One trick is to think like the camera's light meter. It sees a big light source and barely notices the little dark bird. The part of the bird you see is in a shadow - so you need to let in more light +1/2 or +1. You would do the opposite if you had a bright/light bird and a dark background.

I know that's not a very technical explanation - but it really is that easy once you learn to meter the camera's meter.

The best book to learn from is "The Art of Bird Photography" by Arthur Morris. If you can't afford the book - just browse though it in the book store - and make a copy of page 60. ;-)

Thanks to you both for your tips. I will be trying them out when Mr. Red Kite is overhead the garden again. (usually daily).

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back