• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A mini-Pelagic into the Irish Sea (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
On Saturday 14th. August, Grousemore (Trevor) and I went out into the Irish Sea with 2 buckets of chum to see what seabirds we could attract.
I hadn’t told Trevor just how small the boat was going to be and when he saw it, you could see the doubt set-in across his face! He had mentioned in an email that he ‘wasn’t the best sailor’ but would ‘give it a go’. I’m certain he was regretting his mis-placed bravado at this stage!
Anyway, we launched into Ramsey Harbour (SC 464946) by backing the small trailer into the water off the back of the boat owner’s decrepit old Land Rover and we hit the high seas at around 9:20am.
On our way out of the harbour mouth a juvenile Black Guillemot (a lifer for Trevor!) came to within almost touching distance, but as we were ‘on a mission’ we continued out on to the open water of Ramsey Bay and headed north toward the Point of Ayre (SC467052). On the way up the coast we ticked-off the usual Gannets, Shags and Cormorants but there was very little else of note to be seen – apart from a young Hen Harrier seen heading NNE out to sea. Bonkers.
Progress had been very slow as, with the three of us onboard, the boat’s outboard motor was struggling somewhat. So, in an attempt to ‘get the bows down’ and get a bit more ‘purchase’ John (the boat’s owner) clambered out onto the ‘pointy bit’ and left me behind the wheel to negotiate the narrow stretch of water between the ‘point shore’ and the rough tidal rip about 30 yds. out. This was a bit unnerving as I had never piloted a boat before, but I managed to steer my way through this notorious stretch of water without incident - even managing to slow down to allow Kiki (the Mrs.) to get a shot of us as we went passed her as she sat on the beach.
From the Point we headed WNW until we were a couple of miles offshore and decided to empty the first chum bucket. Up until this stage, Trevor had been doing quite well and was feeling almost ‘chipper’. Then I opened the first bucket and started to ladle it onto the water as John crawled along at a couple of kts. After a few minutes the full impact of the odour from the chum was starting to take effect on both Trevor and the birds in the area – Kittiwakes approached and a few Herring Gulls settled on the surface nearby. There were lots of Manx Shearwaters streaming past – some of them very close indeed, but, as is usual for this species, none of them came to inspect the chum. We gave the resulting ‘slick’ a couple of circuits but nothing of note came in to view, so we headed further down the west coast of the island until we were a couple of miles off Ballaghennie NNR (SC435039). Here, we followed the same routine and emptied the second bucket - again with little bird activity to take our minds off the rocking of the boat and the horrendous stench from the chum (I must admit to feeling a little queasy myself at this stage). We did a couple of circuits and then headed back to the first ‘slick’ which we located by use of the hand held GPS unit that John had brought along. As we approached the 1st slick we noticed a flock of Kittiwakes had been attracted and thought “Ooh, this might attract some activity”. Just at this moment my mobile phone went off – it was Peteh who was seawatching from the land. “Did you get that skua chasing the Kittiwakes off your bows?” he asked We hadn’t seen anything. But we turned the boat round to head straight toward the slick and it’s Kittiwake flock. Within seconds a dark-phase Arctic Skua got off the surface and started to harass the Kittiwakes giving excellent views before heading off north.
No sooner had the skua departed when I picked-up a small bird skimming low over the waves and heading towards the chum slick. I didn’t call it at first, as there had been quite a lot of hirundines feeding over the sea, and further inland and I thought it may have been a House Martin. Eventually though I got a clear view of an all dark bird with a white rump and flashing white patch on the underwing. “Storm Petrel!” I shouted. The bird continued to approach the chum and was joined by three others, as they weaved their way about the area, giving stunning views. Trevor’s queasiness rapidly (but temporarily) dissipated and he ventured out of the boat’s cabin to get his first ever views of these fabulous little birds.
Unfortunately the motion of the boat and the speed at which the birds were flying meant that my photos were all blurred, but hey, we can’t have everything. The Stormies hung around for about 10 minutes before heading off east and queasiness returned with a vengeance. We did one last circuit of our second slick but saw nothing other than good numbers of Manx Shearwaters crossing our bows, so we headed back to Ramsey.
On reaching dry land,all stomachs had remained intact,which considering the swell and smell,was quite remarkable.

That afternoon we decided to head up to Ballaghnnie NNR to see what we could get from the land, as the sea had settled and was now a ‘flat calm’. Typical! Again there were hundreds of Manxies streaming past and a couple of Arctic Skuas put in a great display of aerobatics as they harassed the local Kittiwakes. Trevor picked up 3 more Storm Petrels heading east, but nothing like the views we had had earlier that morning, although there was the unusual sight of one of the Stormies landing on the sea briefly.
After about 20 minutes of watching, I pointed out a group of 6 shearwaters flying past quite close, but then I continued to scan in the far distance for more unusual birds.
“One of these shearwaters is lighter on the back and less ‘contrasty’” said Trevor. I panicked but managed to get back on to them and immediately saw the bird to which he was referring. I should point at that at this stage it was only the day before that he had seen his first ever shearwaters and now here he was finding a Mediterranean Shearwater!
An amazing bit of birding and it really showed me that I shouldn’t assume my IDs but really look at every bird that goes past.
Apologies for the poor Storm Petrel photo below. The Arctic Skua shot and that of me in the boat were taken by Peteh.

Attachments

• Blurred Storm Petrel140804b.jpg
    Blurred Storm Petrel140804b.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 183
  • arcticskua140804.jpg
    arcticskua140804.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 163
  • CJW140804.jpg
    CJW140804.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 175
  • boat140804c.jpg
    boat140804c.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
So... you not so much get on the boat as wear it, I see.

Sounds like an interesting experience, although I could almost smell the chum from here!

Not sure how I'd feel about that!

Many congrats on the lifers Trevor, especially the Med Shear... any Shearwater would be a big time bonus for me. Maybe if I buy myself a rowboat...

Although we didn't get any rarities from the boat, it really is one of the great ornithological experiences. Try and get on one of the North Sea trips, Dave. Although I don't expect their boats will be quite as 'cosy' as the one we used.

Actually I'm trying to schedule in one of the Brid Pelagics, and I was pretty chilled about the effects of chum... well... until now!

Birdman, the Bridlington pelagics will almost guarantee you at least one, if not two Shearwater species, plus the boat is easily large enough for you not to be affected by the chum (I didn't smell it on the last one).

I'll be seeing you on the 3rd October, then?!

Steve

plaxtonman said:
I'll be seeing you on the 3rd October, then?!
It's a possibility... It's the first weekend back after me hols, so I'm thinking more like either of the following two weekends... plus we might be due a GGBsC around that time, so I might try and make it conicide with that.

birdman said:
Many congrats on the lifers Trevor, especially the Med Shear... any Shearwater would be a big time bonus for me. Maybe if I buy myself a rowboat...

Thanks,Dave the Shearwaters more than met my expectations....which is more than I can say about the boat !

Nice report Chris,

just goes to show that you don't need rarities to have a great day!!! Close-up views of common but distant birds such as those as you saw is just as rewarding!!! Well done!

Grousemore said:
Andrew,believe me it was just as bad as Tom McK described in his inimitable style...and we didn't use any DMS !
Well I seem to manage okay with chum. I could walk up to the bucket and inspect the goods last September. Looks rather disgusting but I love the smell cos when you first smell it, it means things are starting and the birds will be along soon. I also love seeing other's birders and some of their unsuspecting girlfriends throw up over the side while I am tucking into a nice Scotch Egg! :t:

(Don't you just hate smug ********!)

Thanks,Chris for a very amusing and imformative tale.That small boat looked very vulnerable among'st those choppy waves,an experience Grousemore will not forget!!.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back