• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tablet questions (1 Viewer)

If you just want to share your app purchases with a new iPad there's no reason to use iTunes. Just back up all your apps from your Touch to iCloud. When you get your iPad register it to your Apple account and install any of your purchased apps on to your new device. There's no need to plug it in and sync it with your PC.
I do not know what the heck is going on - when I try to do anything in itunes it comes up with the errors shown below. When I elect to authorize it says it cannot connect to the internet!!!. There is an option to transfer stuff from the 'touch' to my itunes library but when I try this I come up against these two errors once again. I just cannot make head nor tail of this Apple software to be honest (and yet it worked great for over a year - I think it was waiting for the guarantee to run out before packing up lol).
Like I say in my previous post I just cannot update any of my apps, so a lot of them are not even running!! (It seems as if the 'touch' is looking for a different username or password from the one that itunes uses).

EDIT: I have just done a web search on the 'PC not authorized' issue and it seems like a very common problem - cannot see any solutions though!

Attachments

• ipod1.jpg
    ipod1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62
  • ipod2.jpg
    ipod2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
though some suggest a reset of your Touch which'll be tricky without the on/off switch working.

[/URL]
I am fairly sure that is the problem from other stuff that I have read.
As a sideline the on/off switch packing up is also a fairly common problem from what I can see on the web.

Had a chat with my supplier today and have now worked out how to add pics. Now just need to work out how to downsize them. Pretty much (I think) what you suggested thanks Peter.

Thank you to everyone for the advice on this one :t: I think I will go for an android tablet and kick the Ipod into touch (I have only paid for a few apps so no big loss), I suspect they are more reliable than Apple stuff!

BTW is there a central location for all the Android apps or is it separate for each manufacturer?

Google play should have them: https://play.google.com/

Just to tell you why I cannot get anything android at the moment: google does not want to sell to anyone located in the country I am in. (at least that was the info I got from them 1/2 year ago). So I am married to apple for the time being, even though there are some things I don't like about them.

Niels

Just one more quick question - Absolutely regardless of price which tablet would you get if you had a pick ?

I tend to find that authorisation errors can sometimes be fixed by removing the devise software and reinstalling it with the same password etc. if your email works I tend to think the problem is something relatively minor. Apple devises are a bit notorious for such problems though.

Just one more quick question - Absolutely regardless of price which tablet would you get if you had a pick ?

I'd have gone for the Sony Xperia Z tablet 4G version, which is 10" and Waterproof, if money was not a factor.

Failing that, I'd go for the 2013 Nexus 7.

Peter

I'd have gone for the Sony Xperia Z tablet 4G version, which is 10" and Waterproof, if money was not a factor.

Failing that, I'd go for the 2013 Nexus 7.

Peter
Thank you for the suggestions and help :t:
I am ideally looking for a large screen tablet and it will never be used outside of the house - main user will be my wife for on-line shopping/browing although I will use it on occasions for picking up emails and viewing bird pics from the likes of Flickr - cost is irrelevant. The nexus 7 looks good but too small a screen for my needs - is the ipad air any good?

Edit: just seen that there is a Nexus 10 although I also read that a new version of the 10 is due out soon - maybe I should wait for that !!!

Last edited:

Unequivocally an iPad.

Personal choice, completely meets my needs in all respects, superb image quality and operability. I have added a number of devices to iTunes with no problems and also de-authorised them. If you have a backup of your device and happy that all the data is secure I'd wipe it, re-register and reload all data. Having said multiple devices they have all been Apple. Of course there are Pro and Anti Apple people and similar for Windows. I used Windows in a business and personal environment for many years, now I wouldn't ever use that operation system again. Likewise I wouldn't impose my views on others by saying one system is better than the other aside from my personal experience.

All mine, and my wife's devices, use the same Apple id and I load music, books etc across them with seamlessly.

For what its worth Roy I'd nip down to somewhere like John Lewis and try the different options, never a pressure to buy in my experience.

All the best.

Phil

hi Roy, GREETINGS, I went over to apple about 5 years ago and yes like android they have their nuances. I am still using my IPad mk1. I would suggest that you book up an appointment at your local (apple shop)
genius bar. The appointments are free! This is a nuisance but hey, if you had an android
Where can you go? I am afraid this is a bit of a throw away society. They maybe cannot fix it and may offer a re-conditioned guaranteed equivalent or better at a cost.
Kind regards mike

hi Roy, GREETINGS, I went over to apple about 5 years ago and yes like android they have their nuances. I am still using my IPad mk1. I would suggest that you book up an appointment at your local (apple shop)
genius bar. The appointments are free! This is a nuisance but hey, if you had an android
Where can you go? I am afraid this is a bit of a throw away society. They maybe cannot fix it and may offer a re-conditioned guaranteed equivalent or better at a cost.
Kind regards mike
Thanks Mike, I have already ditched the Ipod touch as I was not using it much anyway.

hi again Roy, The advice above is sound. I usually purchase my stuff at J Lewis you will usually get a longer guarantee and they do have a price promise, which I used when purchasing my EF 24-105 earlier this year. they dropped their price enormously!!
Kind regards mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back