• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Out doing my final tedrad for the Norfolk Bird Atlas today. After seven years of survey work I feel very sad that it has come to an end. Besides the birds I have seen wonderful wildlife. I had a re-play of last night's Springwatch with all the male Hares chasing the female all to myself. A Roe Deer sat and watched me nonchantly as I peered down a Badger Sett. As for the birds they sang and sang after all the rain!
I hope some other BF members have enjoyed the Bird Atlas work as much as I have. (shame on you if you didn't volunteer!) It should be an excellent book when it is published.
Sue

Woodchat Shrike still at Holme this evening (view from Thornham Bank) - distant views though. Park at Thornham harbour and walk west along bank about 2 miles to view fence by River Hun from sluice.

Pied Flycatcher (female) Titchwell RSPB on Meadow Trail this evening + 15 Little Gulls and Bittern showing well from Fen Hide.

Quail singing 2 miles south of Titchwell at Chooseley in 3rd field south of drying barns in afternoon.

Iberian Chiffchaff still at Colney in Norwich.

For those out and about in the Broads in the early evenings now might be a good time to look out for groups of Noctule Bats!!

The warm sunny weather after the 'wet spell' seems to have brought them out - watched 6 tonight hunting together in the Tas Valley. Even when viewed from a distance they looked enormous (for bats anyway!)

A nice addition to anyones mammal list..

Matt

By the way. The weather conditions today, tomorrow and Sunday are looking absolutely phenomenal for rarities. Grab your bins and get out birding. If there isn’t a subalpine warbler or something similar or much rarer on the point I’ll eat my hat.

By the way. The weather conditions today, tomorrow and Sunday are looking absolutely phenomenal for rarities. Grab your bins and get out birding. If there isn’t a subalpine warbler or something similar or much rarer on the point I’ll eat my hat.

They are indeed!!!! just come up on pager:

Booted Warbler at 8.02 and still now at 9am, 400 yards east of halfway house (Blakeney Point, Norfolk) showing and singing occasionally.

Sorting my new car out this morning:-@ :clap: !!!!!!

I managed a red-veined darter at the southern millenium green LNR in Norwich, but it looks like all the birder's have decided that if you can't see 'em they won't either in solidarity!

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. I moved to North Norfolk (Bodham) in December last. I walk every day somewhere between Blakeney and Sheringham. I'll post my bird sightings but I tend to be a walker and casual birder so mostly I see the obvious rather than the unusual.

Best wishes.

Martin

Stiffkey

Hola,

I'm the Landlord of the Red Lion in Stiffkey and this morning we had a Red Kite opposite the pub on the hill, he's been hunting most days for the last couple of weeks. Playing cricket on Stiffkey Playing Field this afternoon i heard a commotion and saw around thirty Wood Pigeons doing their best to aviod a gorgeous female Peregrine. Suffice it to say i dropped two easy catches!!!

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. I moved to North Norfolk (Bodham) in December last. I walk every day somewhere between Blakeney and Sheringham. I'll post my bird sightings but I tend to be a walker and casual birder so mostly I see the obvious rather than the unusual.

Best wishes.

Martin
Welcome to Birdforum Martin and welcome to the Norfolk thread. Every bird you see is a delight, both the 'obvious' and the 'unusual'.

Best Wishes Penny:girl: :hi:

Nice views of the female Red Backed Shrike at blakeney fresh marsh today, hunting insects from the brambles!!

Also calling Garden Warbler and two (M/F) Cuckoos around the back lanes near Glandford river.

Met some great folks out there today - bit sunburnt now though!

Matt

Dozens of Swallowtails at Strumpshaw Fen today. All over the place but the best views were on the beautiful butterfly garden at the house beyond the railway line. We could study them from a couple of feet away and the owner of the house is really friendly and informative.

Also got superb views of a male Cuckoo which landed on a dead tree beside the track to the Fen hide and stayed there calling for about 15 minutes.

A couple of snap shots from Strumpshaw yesterday. Sorry about the rubbish Cuckoo pic – I got in a bit of panic fitting the camera to the scope when it suddenly appeared and forgot all the basics.

Ron

Attachments

• Swallowtail.jpg
    Swallowtail.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Cuckoo.jpg
    Cuckoo.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 99

Best wishes.

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome to BF from all the staff.

You've moved to a great area, I'm looking forward to hearin about yoru sightings.

Nice views of the female Red Backed Shrike at blakeney fresh marsh today, hunting insects from the brambles!!

Hi Matt

what sort of distance did you have the shrike at? When I saw it on Saturday it was a long way off, but if it's coming in closer I may give it another crack.

Hi everyone,

I have been insecting more than birding, but for those of you interested here goes:-

Saturday
Thompson Common pingos - Scarce Emerald, many teneral + few ads, also a few Emeralds, lots of Azures, Blue-tailed, 10 Hairy, 5-6 Four-spot Chaser. Also Turtle Dove & Barn Owl here.

Ted Ellis NR - 2 Scarce Chaser, 3-4 Norfolk Hawker, 1 Black T Skimmer, sev Brimstone, Speckled Wood, 5+ Red Admiral, 1 Holly Blue. Also 2 Marsh harrier, sev Cettis. Warden had nice footage of 1 Swallowtail, but app few on the wing yet.

Strumpshaw, Meadow trail - 4 Norfolk Hawker (easier to photograph here than at Ted Ellis NR),2-3 Hairy, 2 Four spot Chaser. Also Barn owl & Marsh Harrier.

Last night on the Wensum & Old Costessey - lots of Banded damesoille, 1 Red-eyed damsel, & 1 hunting Hobby.

On another note I checked all my tit nestboxes yesterday - not good, lots of well feathered dead young presumably from the Bank holiday cold,wet weather. In fact out of 3 boxes I found 14 dead young, and I haven't seen any young tits at the feeders. Has anyone else seen any young tits as yet??

Regards Chris

Hi Matt

what sort of distance did you have the shrike at? When I saw it on Saturday it was a long way off, but if it's coming in closer I may give it another crack.

Hiya Pete

Was pretty close infact, the bird was initially seen on the bramble hedge then came in closer. There are three wooden posts on the right hand side of the small pasture where the Shrike spent some time, often perched then snatching bugs from the grass.

To give you an idea the second pic shows (A) where the bird was first seen, unfortunately the posts aren't in view of the second pic but the arrow (B) points to the general area.

The dodgy record shot was the best I could get through 7x42 binocs!!

Matt

Attachments

• buckenham etc 107 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 107 (Custom).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 147
  • buckenham etc 098 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 098 (Custom).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back