• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX sample variation? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

if the star test images are to be trusted, there is overcorrection (bright ring past focus and fuzzy inside of focus) and also astigmatism (the image past focus looks like an ellipse with the long axis from bottom left to top right and the one inside of focus has the long side from top left to bottom right).

I think this fits with the observation that the image degrades past 40x.

Joachim

Thx for the information Joachim.
The pictures aren’t really of good quality.
A college birder visited me last week and he also has got a 95ATX.
He heard about me being not impressed with the 65mm and took a look through them.
Also he shared the same impression as I, he couldn’t find a proper focus, even at 25x and seeing a lack in sharpness.
While I was in Africa last weeks, I compared to an old Swarovski scope (a Grey, non hd one) in 80mm and thought it was better than my 65mm. More vivid colours, sharper, better contrast, but a smaller fov.
The light in Africa is bright so I didn’t expected to see much difference due to the smaller objective.
When comparing his old Swaro with the 95mm I mostly used, the difference in image quality is big.
I got to return them, Swarovski need to check them..

Thx for the information Joachim.
The pictures aren’t really of good quality.
A college birder visited me last week and he also has got a 95ATX.
He heard about me being not impressed with the 65mm and took a look through them.
Also he shared the same impression as I, he couldn’t find a proper focus, even at 25x and seeing a lack in sharpness.
While I was in Africa last weeks, I compared to an old Swarovski scope (a Grey, non hd one) in 80mm and thought it was better than my 65mm. More vivid colours, sharper, better contrast, but a smaller fov.
The light in Africa is bright so I didn’t expected to see much difference due to the smaller objective.
When comparing his old Swaro with the 95mm I mostly used, the difference in image quality is big.
I got to return them, Swarovski need to check them..

Sorry to hear that. I have both the 95 and 65mm and considered excellent. Good if you could send it back to Swarovski for replacement.

I was at the optics store today to return them.
So I took the opportunity to compare with their demo unit.
At 60x, looking at a small text across the market place was easily readable through their demo model while difficult through mine. The demo also showed a little better contrast, a little more sharpness and had a view that was more vivid, more ‘alive’. Especially that last thing was for me the most obvious.
Mine seemed ‘duller’. Both the storekeeper and I shared that vision, but a college birder didn’t saw it.
They’re returned, wondering what it will be..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back