• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

A second patch Convolvulus in his garden was reward for a friend planting nicotiana. Other low level immigration has included another Pearly Underwing and Scarce Bordered Straw with the spindle-feeding Nephopterix angustella probably the best resident recently on the patch.

A friend ran eleven lights last night at Berrow, Somerset for about 30 species with the best probably Archer's Dart, a few Dark Sword-grass and a noctuella.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• September Moths 001.JPG
    September Moths 001.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 127
  • September Moths 019.JPG
    September Moths 019.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 135
69 moths of 18 species last night, not bad for the time of year. Lunar Underwing is the predominant species at the moment with 17 individuals counted last night.

Variety is proving very challenging currently - Large and Lesser Yellow Underwings, Lunar Underwings, the odd Dusky Thorn and Square-spot Rustic, etc....

All the best

Variety is proving very challenging currently - Large and Lesser Yellow Underwings, Lunar Underwings, the odd Dusky Thorn and Square-spot Rustic, etc....

All the best

Same here, mainly Lunar Underwings and Feathered Ranunculus, but my first Brindled Green last night was nice.

September totals 16 nights, 817 moths of 62 species. Year to date, 104 nights, 5816 moths of 271 species. Might get to 6000 for the year yet.

4 L-Album Wainscot and a Silver-Y is about the best I can manage this week with numbers decreasing quite rapidly.

Dave W

Had my best night for several weeks last night 11 species!....a lifer (Oak nycteoline), plus an unresolved?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1160806 (2) Oak nycteoline.cropped..jpg
    P1160806 (2) Oak nycteoline.cropped..jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 75
  • P1160804 (2) A sp Noctuid.cropped..jpg
    P1160804 (2) A sp Noctuid.cropped..jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 71
Yes thanks Paul, neither of which are in Lewingtons. :t:

You better double check that Ken! They are both shown in my copy. The former is common so would be expected to be. My first thought was Pale Mottled Willow.

Clancy isn't illustrated in the first edition but is in the concise + 2nd edition.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back