• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions on mothing technique... (1 Viewer)

petleyr

Hi all,

As some of you will no doubt be aware from my repeated postings to the ID section of the forum, earlier this year I started running a moth trap from my home in SW London. I use an Actinic Skinner trap, placed on my roof terrace, away from the neighbours' windows.

My efforts have been pretty hit and miss so far, with some quite good nights and some traps from which I've literally caught nothing. All this while reading of others' major successes... so, apart from my location (urban), the specific placement of the trap (away from much greenery), the fact that I use a low power bulb and so on, I wondered if I was getting some elements of the technique wrong...

So I'd appreciate some insight from anyone who can take the time, on the following topics.... the standard guides online are very useful in a general sense, but haven't given much specific guidance on these questions, as far as I can tell...

1. When to start?
What time is best to switch the light on? Dusk, or when it gets fully dark, or does it not matter?

2. When to stop?
What about switching off? Should I run the trap until daylight, or dawn, or switch it off whilst it's still dark (e.g. if I check it at midnight and there's nothing in there, is that a sign that I should abandon my efforts for the evening?).
If I switch it off, I guess I need to block up the trap so that nothing can escape?

3. Trap contents
I've followed the guidance and used egg boxes in the trap, but again, I often find nothing in there. I guess this is probably a function of there being no moths attracted in the first place, but is there a better alternative or other things that I could add to make it more hospitable?

I'm sure I can think of more, but those will do for now...

Rich.

Hi Rich

I've not been doing this for long myself, so the following is based upon my version of "logic" -

1. and 2. On the basis that it can't do any harm, I switch on before dark and leave on until after first light, to whenever I get to the trap in the morning. I also try to check the trap as soon as it's switched off; arriving late on a warm morning will mean anything on the outside will probably have flown, as will a few from inside. Birds can also eat the catch!

3. I've not heard of anything other than egg boxes used, but I have started putting a plant pot containing lavender alongside the trap. No idea if this does any good!

A white sheet under the trap or against a wall (depending upon position) can help.

Night-time temperature, cloud cover, moon position and brightness will all have an impact on your catch.

If some nights are good I'd say you're probably not doing anything wrong.

I did start a thread with photos of my trap and its position, and was hoping a few more of the "old hands" would have posted so us newbies could pick up a few pointers, but this met with rather limited success.....

Cheers, Mark

The way I trap (in my porch) means that I have to attend the light every 15-20 mins as I don't have a traditional trap.

I've noticed that I get very little before midnight. Midnight until 0200hrs is hectic but really tails off after that with hardly anything caught? This is a constant theme over more than 10 years of trapping.

Temperature is important as mentioned but not as critical as wind, more than a stiff breeze and I get nothing. Even light rain is not bad but wind just grounds everything.

You'll also be limited by adjacent habitat, you won't get coastal species inland and moths that prefer e.g coniferous forest won't turn up if your on moorland etc with the odd exception.

Andy

Last edited:
I had a similar experience as andy with a porch light while I was in Wales.
The moths would filter in slowly from about 7pm, with the massive peak being 10-11pm, and then it all slowed down once 12am came by. (I didn't stay up beyond 1am though, my moth boxes were generally containing 3-5 moths each by then!).

Hi Rich
I agree with much of what's been said.
Trap on before dusk, off as soon after dawn as is possible. I would add that it's best to seal the trap at this point (Robinson/ALS traps are easier to do than Heath or Skinner) if you are not going to examine the entire catch straight away.
A white sheet under the trap is a great advantage but also make it easier for the birds!
Flight times during the night do vary between species so it's important to run the trap all night or you will miss some species. For example, sphingids rarely fly before about midnight.
Wind is also an important factor, and it's getting more so. Try to get as much out of the wind as possible.
Some species are very flighty (often those that also fly by day) so its essential that you are very gentle (no sudden movements) when you are examining the trap contents. It's always the good records that fly away!
Best advice of all, carry on as you are doing!
Best wishes
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back