• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader Id help (1 Viewer)

VoluntaryRanger

Saw this 2 days ago at Leighton Moss. It was apart from the Redshanks and seemed more slightly built. It was fairly distant but one shot showed pale coloured legs which looked slightly greenish. I think that may preclude a juvenile Redshank. Someone has suggested it is, however, a juv Redshank although someone else thought it might be a Wood Sandpiper. I apologise for the quality of the photos and hope someone can make something out of them. The second shot shows a Redshank in the foreground.

Attachments

• DSC00695.jpg
    DSC00695.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00685.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 43
Thanks all. Having looked at the write up on the confusion possibilities between juv Redshank and Wood Sand I have to agree it's a juv Redshank. No obvious supercilium and cap effect that a Wood Sand would show.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back