Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Identification guide Extremadura

Old Tuesday 24th October 2017, 15:03   #1
SkyeSonia

Question Identification guide Extremadura

Hello

We are off to Extremadura next April for a few weeks and will make the best of the birding opportunities that region offers. However, I've done a bit of trawling for id guides for the region and although there are some of the 'where to look for birds' type, I haven't seen many actual guides.

Looking on this forum, I see that Collins Bird Guide has been rated for id in the past. Is that book still one of the best, in people's opinion or are there other publications, I should be looking at?

Looking forward to receiving replies - and thanks in advance for your wisdoms!
Old Tuesday 24th October 2017, 17:48   #2
Simon Wates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeSonia View Post
looking on this forum, I see that Collins Bird Guide has been rated for id in the past. Is that book still one of the best, in people's opinion or are there other publications, I should be looking at?
Yes, the Collin's Bird Guide only - in the bird world in and outside this forum its a "no brainer" Also, its probably the best bird field guide for any region, never mind just Europe/Western Palearctic. IF you don't have it, get it and you will know soon that you "needed" it.

Then you just need to know which species are in Extramadura (a lot!).
Old Tuesday 24th October 2017, 20:22   #3
SkyeSonia

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I guess I was hoping for an excuse to buy another bird guide to add to my collection...but you're right and it seems as though I always return to the Collins for UK and Europe. Still it's always best to check there isn't something else out there.

My game plan at the moment is to search out a few raptors, which seems to be a sure bet in Extremadura.
Thanks for responding
Old Tuesday 31st October 2017, 17:42   #4
Dutch Birder
Discover-Extremadura, Extremadura-vogels and Extremadura-Images

Hi, if I can be of any help to guide you to some places for excellent raptor observation....let me know.
Henk
Old Tuesday 31st October 2017, 18:53   #5
John Cantelo

Although the Collins Guide is most certainly the one to go for regarding ID it does have several drawbacks. First, it contains hundreds of species that you won't encounter which some people may find it confusing. Second, the maps are tiny so it is not always easy to see what's where. Third, some illustrations are on the small side. Accordingly, you might find it helpful to supplement it with a copy of the "Birds of Spain" by de Juana & Varela (Lynx). Spain's Atlantic islands aside, this books has the advantage of dealing only with species you're likely to see, much better maps of Iberian distribution and, although not a patch on the Collins, the plates are good and the text useful.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Wednesday 1st November 2017, 05:36   #6
Patrick_m

What about the Collins Guide App? You can zoom in on the illustrations and maps. You get calls and songs for most species, a great help for ID. You can create your own lists to filter out the birds you will not seen in the area you go to...
And if you carry a phone, it’s always with you.
I certainly could not do without it.
I also have Birds of Northern Europe as an App, but it does not have half the functionality of Collins.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: