Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 19th September 2013, 16:39   #26
Stewart J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
The eagles sound great. Where do you mean when you refer to 'the quarry' at La Janda?
On the left part way up the small hill as you approach the farm with the large vertical silo.

BF Supporter 2005 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th September 2013, 17:34   #27
eddy the eagle

The area of the quarry is private property and you will be asked to leave if found there.The quarry is as Stewart says to the left of the farm and is behind the area used to store irrigation equipment.It cannot be seen from the track except for the cliff face on the right side,normally occupied by jackdaws and the odd marsh harrier.The quarry itself is water filled and contains waterfowl of various descriptions.It is a good hunting area for BOP.I hope this helps,,,,,Eddy
Old Thursday 19th September 2013, 18:21   #28
Jon Turner

Dagnam it I always drive past not paying much attention..... anyway off home tomorrow. A few Red-rumped Swallows on the way and both Pallid and Common Swifts over Casares today.e About 20 Lsser Kestrels hunting over a harvested Sunflower field next to the Genal river and an Osprey with with a fish there too.
Old Friday 20th September 2013, 17:41   #29
Stewart J.

Wind Easterly today consequently raptors on the move, big group of Black Kite over our hostal (which is brilliantly located for watching passage some really low flyovers last week) so chanced Cazella lot of Short-toed again and a fair few vultures. At this point my wife noticed we had yet another puncture the third this holiday. As I was changing the wheel at 11.00hrs a shout went up for Ruppels very low overhead, brilliant not often I get a new bird at my age.

And to cap it all on taking punctured tyre to garage in Tarifa they were surprised at my bad luck with a third puncture in a week and repaired it for free. :-) :-) :-)

Last edited by Stewart J. : Friday 20th September 2013 at 17:44.

Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 06:43   #30
occasional

Interesting day yesterday. Spent half an hour watching a juvenile Bonelli"s eagle doing practice attacks on griffon vultures at the colony in Sierra de la Plata.
Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 09:28   #31
Jon Turner

Back home in MUCH cooler Devon today. Best yesterday was a Black Stork circling over Jimena at lunchtime. Surprised to find I'd recorded 120 species during the week. Keep the info coming folks - I likes a good read!
Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 10:46   #32
John Cantelo

Annoyed to find this thread on my return to the UK, but unfortunately my laptop was playing up and the wi-fi link in my nearest bar in Alcala is unreliable. Pity as I'd have liked to have met up with those posting here. I need to think seriously about getting a wi-fi link in our house in Spain, but a year's subscription for 2-3 months use is a bit steep! Superb photos of Ruppell's, Barred Wobbler - I'm envious as I've never had such good views of RV. I've little to add to the above since birding was slightly constrained this year by visits, domestic considerations, etc - did pick up Ruppell's & Lanner over Cazalla earlier this week. However, I managed to miss any big movements over the straits - the weather's often very different over Alcala so it can be heard for me to judge.

On the 14th I picked up an email with news of the Elegant Terns on 11th at La Jara/Reyerta (just west of Sanlucar de Barameda) - see http://trevorontour.me/
I went to look for them on 15th (so missing a good movement at Cazalla where I'd planned to be), but totally forgot it was a Sunday & the place was packed with grockles. Even more annoyingly I was there on 10th taking a neighbour birding & she insisted on having tapas & coffee before we walked the beach - by which time the tide had pushed most of the birds off the shoreline!

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 14:58   #33
Barred Wobbler

Thanks John. I've got you to thank for the photo of the Ruppell's from 2010. You'd sent me a text to say you'd had one at Los Barrios, so I went there the following afternoon and that bird was in a large group of vultures that flew up from the tip and came right over my head before heading off south.
Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 16:58   #34
Stewart J.

Very strong ENE winds today, lot of raptor action over our hostal from very early on with small numbers of Black Kite, several Honeys, some booted and several groups of Short-toed, 70+ Griffons through between 0930 & 1045, plus 12 Sprawks and a single Marsh Harrier. A low Hobby our first was a nice surprise.

Drove along to Cazalla which proved disappointing wind very strong and birds either very high or hidden below ridge to NE. A White rumped Swift gave good views for several minutes. Gave up at noon plenty of low raptors to be seen as we drove to Tarifa.

LA Hands this afternoon, juv Collared Prat gave very close views at tee junction. Distant views of Imm Imperial Eagle being mobbed by a probably Bonellis difficult as it was distant. 3 juv Bonellis at quarry put on a good show much to the delight of several photographers. An Osprey and 6 Black Stork as we left.

Sitting at hostal with a cold beer and there are still many raptors overhead and wind very strong probably f 5 - 6 lots of groups passerines and hirundines going over.

Apologies for typos using a tablet and try as I might cannot get rid of predictive text poxy thing, also in a rush as meeting friends for a meal. :-) :-) :-)

Last edited by Stewart J. : Saturday 21st September 2013 at 17:03.

Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 17:04   #35
Stewart J.

Very strong ENE winds today, lot of raptor action over our hostal from very early onwith small numbers of Black Kite, several Honeys, some booted and several groups of Short-toed, 70+ Griffons through between 0930 & 1045,plus 12 Sprawls and a single Marsh Harrier. A low Hobby our first was a nice surprise.

Drove along to Cazalla which proved disappointing wind very strong and birds either very high or hidden below ridge to NE. A White rumped Swift gave good views for several minutes. Gave up at noon plenty of low raptors to be seen as we drove to Tarifa.

LA Hands this afternoon, juv Collared Prat gave very close views at tee junction. Distant views of I'm Imperial Eagle being mobbed by a probably Bonellis difficult as it was distant. 3 juv Bonellis at quarry put on a good show much to the delight of several photographers. An Osprey and 6 Black Stork as we left.

Sitting at hostal with a cold beer and there are still many raptors overhead and wind very strong probably f 5 - 6 lots of groups passerines and hirundines going over.

Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 17:40   #36
Rob Williams

Flying out to S Spain on Monday, hoping for some good sights in Tarifa area.
World: 1129 (latest American Wigeon)
Old Saturday 21st September 2013, 20:35   #37
occasional

Certainly different today. Sat on the beach watching booted eagles coming in from the sea as if it was spring.
Presumably returning from aborted attempts to cross the Strait.

For the precision minded, at least 10 birds per hour.
Old Wednesday 25th September 2013, 21:12   #38
Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart J. View Post
On the left part way up the small hill as you approach the farm with the large vertical silo.
Thanks for the info.
Old Wednesday 25th September 2013, 21:13   #39
Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy the eagle View Post
The area of the quarry is private property and you will be asked to leave if found there.The quarry is as Stewart says to the left of the farm and is behind the area used to store irrigation equipment.It cannot be seen from the track except for the cliff face on the right side,normally occupied by jackdaws and the odd marsh harrier.The quarry itself is water filled and contains waterfowl of various descriptions.It is a good hunting area for BOP.I hope this helps,,,,,Eddy
Thanks Eddy.
Old Friday 27th September 2013, 19:10   #40
Stewart J.

Back to the UK yesterday, wonderful holiday intend to do it all again next year perhaps for a month this time. 3 lifers Ruppels Vulture, Little Swift and Tawny Pipit. Our hostal was very well placed 3 Kms North of Tarifa to observe much of the morning passage.

Some photo's attached, Bald Ibis at the golf course and roosting R N Nighjar at La Handa. (Excuse quality they were taken with a compact and the final nightjar heavily cropped)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ibis.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	465648  Click image for larger version

Name:	ibis01.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	465649  Click image for larger version

Name:	ibis02.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	465650  Click image for larger version

Name:	nightjar01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	465651  Click image for larger version

Name:	nightjar02.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	465652  

Old Friday 27th September 2013, 19:14   #41
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2018

Eee.... well you certainly seem to have had a great time Stewart!

Congrats on all those Lifers too (I didn't realise you had any left to get )

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th September 2013, 19:35   #42
Stewart J.

Hi Delia long time since we last conversed, trust you are well.

Old Friday 27th September 2013, 19:54   #43
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2018

Hi again Stewart

Yes, I'm fine thanks... well apart from this, that and the other LOL.

I hope you are keeping well too - still on the boats, or retired yet?

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th September 2013, 19:58   #44
Stewart J.

Retired last year D, and thoroughly enjoying retirement

Old Friday 27th September 2013, 20:39   #45
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart J. View Post
Back to the UK yesterday, wonderful holiday intend to do it all again next year perhaps for a month this time. 3 lifers Ruppels Vulture, Little Swift and Tawny Pipit. Our hostal was very well placed 3 Kms North of Tarifa to observe much of the morning passage.

Some photo's attached, Bald Ibis at the golf course and roosting R N Nighjar at La Handa. (Excuse quality they were taken with a compact and the final nightjar heavily cropped)
Nice photos, Stewart. I'm particularly envious of the R-n Nightjar - where exactly did you see it and how on Earth did you spot it?

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 28th September 2013, 10:08   #46
Alf King

Good to bump into you at Cazella Stewart and thanks for all the gen. Looks like the torrential rain will stop all of the raptor passage for a while but due to improve again by Tuesday.

Significant passerine movements underway now with large flocks (40+) of corn buntings - can't be long before the first bluethroats arrive. Rice is now being harvested so the fields at La Janda should be even more interesting soon.

I would thoroughly recommend a longish trip. Good accommodation at fair prices isn't difficult to find particularly if you move inland a few km.
Old Saturday 28th September 2013, 20:31   #47
Stewart J.

Nice to meet with you Alf, 4 weeker on the cards for next year

Old Sunday 29th September 2013, 11:08   #48
Alf King

The recent rain has brought quite a change to La Janda. Some larger pools have formed attracting a large flock of Coot (c.200) and about 50 Shoveler together with a few Gadwall. Over the fields there were very large (c.600) flocks of sparrows, both Spanish and House and around the thistle beds were large gatherings of Goldfinch; the Serins that I had seen a couple of weeks earlier were notable by their absence and the Corn Buntings were also nowhere to be seen.

Smaller numbers of Marsh Harriers are now present together with a single immature Montagus Harrier and we also saw one Northern Wheatear. On the track at the eastern end a "couple of buzzards" revealed themselves to be a Honey Buzzard with most of its tail missing and a Long-legged Buzzard. Some returning sunshine may produce more of interest before we finally have to leave.
Old Tuesday 1st October 2013, 13:36   #49
Alf King

The cold and damp has now seen the majority of Glossy Ibis leave La Janda with only around 200 remaining.

Otherwise very quiet today.
Old Tuesday 1st October 2013, 17:43   #50
eddy the eagle

In the last two days I have seen large flocks of barn swallows 100+ feeding above the trees in front of my house in the centre of the town.The local birds have long gone and these must be second broods from the north.They feed for five minutes or so and then go as quickly as they came....Eddy
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: