• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barbados - April '08 (1 Viewer)

Good sun, swim, snorkel, eating, walking, people. Birding not the best. Of course I'm not the best birder either so certain there's many species I missed.

They've done a good job with the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary. We had the place to ourselves. Designed to be seen by general public (wide flat paths). All new facility. You feel as though you are at a zoo more than a sanctuary. On the afternoon of our visit not much diversity. Other place of interest was Welchman Hall Gully. It has 90% of the Island's flora/fauna.

In total I listed 18 species.

I went there recently too. Highlights were semi-palmated sandpipers and plovers, a purple heron, and a number of other small as-yet-to-be-determined waders. Also the ubiquitous Bananaquit, plenty of egrets (snowy, little and cattle) and a moorhen.

Richard

Anyone going to Barbados should look for the Bullfinch, which was recently elevated to species status, and little egret, which there has its first breeding colony on this side of the atlantic.

Niels

Highlights were semi-palmated sandpipers and plovers, a purple heron, and a number of other small as-yet-to-be-determined waders.
Richard

I'm guessing that the 'purple' heron should be classed as yet-to-be-determined, as, wouldn't a purple heron be a major rarity there? Though as cattle egrets and even little egrets have made it, who knows.

I'm guessing that the 'purple' heron should be classed as yet-to-be-determined, as, wouldn't a purple heron be a major rarity there? Though as cattle egrets and even little egrets have made it, who knows.

Yes, Purple heron would be a major rarity, which should be described in a short paper for Journal of Caribbean Ornithology. More likely and somewhat of the same colors would be little blue heron, tricolored heron, and great blue heron.

Niels

My mistake chaps - I think these purple coloured ones are known as Green Herons.

Richard

Attachments

• Green heron.jpg
    Green heron.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back