• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A small moth from Riyadh. (1 Viewer)

Mansur

Hi
I need id for this small moth it was has about 10-13 mm wingspan I take the photos in my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi Mansur
Unfortunately, there's not a lot to work with. It's small, even for a pyralid and looks as if it should be a phycitine. Other than that, it's almost featurless.
Was it in your house?
One possibility would be a species of Ephestia. If the moth was found in your house, is there any dried fruit (dates, etc.) around?
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Mansur
Unfortunately, there's not a lot to work with. It's small, even for a pyralid and looks as if it should be a phycitine. Other than that, it's almost featurless.
Was it in your house?
One possibility would be a species of Ephestia. If the moth was found in your house, is there any dried fruit (dates, etc.) around?
Martin
Martin
Yes we have some dried dates , also we have 2 palms but the fruit is not yet show.

Hi Mansur
I think the best I can do with the identity of your moth is probably a species of Ephestia (possibly elutella) or Cadra (possibly figulella). This group is notoriously difficult, with many similar looking species, and one often has to resort to dissecting the genitalia in order to get an identification.
Both species, and their relatives, are pests of stored products (dried fruit, nuts, flour, etc.), often in houses and warehouses.
Best wishes
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back