• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello From Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA (1 Viewer)

Timothy49

Hello to all members near and far. My wife and I attempted to take up bird watching while we lived in St. Augustine Florida. We had very little luck in viewing birds except those found near the ocean beaches. This was easy because they were always there.

We moved to the Pittsburgh area back in 2008 and are just now trying our luck again at bird watching.

We have been out twice in the last two weeks. Once was in South Park, which is a very large county park with walking trails, and a few small streams. No luck in seeing any birds except two cardinals and red tail hawks.

Today we drove to Mingo Creek County Park. This is a county park in the neighboring county south of Pittsburgh. It also has many walking trails, many trees and a very nice babbling brook winding through the complete park.

Around 3:00 pm, we parked our car and walked to a picnic table which was in the shade of the trees and down by the stream. We felt this spot to be ideal due the constant water sounds made by the brook. We sat there for almost an hour with no sight of birds. We found this frustrating and this is why we gave up on bird watching back in 2006.

We have several bird feeders in our backyard which brings in cardinals, chickadees, nut hatches, and various finches. That's it! We also have hummingbird feeders, but there is no over abundance of hummingbirds. Only a few local hummingbirds that come one at a time. Other feeders on youtube are swamped with hummingbirds.

We want to see more birds both in the backyard and at the various Federal, State and local parks. So we are kind of confused at want we might be doing wrong.

Happy Watching!

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Tim and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi ya Tim and welcome aboard :t:

As far as your yard birds the surroundings can become quite important. Are there plenty of trees and bushes for them to seek refuge in and to nest?

I've lived in my present location for 16 years and have a yard bird species count of 116. Not every day of course but when a new species shows up for a visit or passing through it always puts a big grin on my face ;)

Here's wishing you success in building your bird counts :t:

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum. You might try contacting your local Audubon Society and doing some bird walks with them. They will have pointers in birding in your area.

Around 3:00 pm, we parked our car and walked to a picnic table which was in the shade of the trees and down by the stream. We felt this spot to be ideal due the constant water sounds made by the brook. We sat there for almost an hour with no sight of birds. We found this frustrating and this is why we gave up on bird watching back in 2006.

Tim

Birding in July and early August in Pennsylvania can be very slow. Combine that with trying to do it at 3:00 in the afternoon is the perfect recipe for seeing very few birds.

You might want to check out Three Rivers Bird Club for birding locations and guided outings. Their next outing that is currently scheduled is on August 23 at Sewickley Heights Borough Park.

I would recommend highly, that you join an organized walk. Those leading it will know where to go, and what to look (and listen) for.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back