• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 ids, east Poland, fish ponds (1 Viewer)

cheekykev

Can anyone help with these possible

1 black tern
2 marsh harrier
3 little grebes
4 ??

Attachments

• tern.jpg
    tern.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 165
  • tern1.jpg
    tern1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 147
  • marsh-harrier.jpg
    marsh-harrier.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 124
  • grebes.jpg
    grebes.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 148
  • wagtail.jpg
    wagtail.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 149
The birds in pic 4 are juvenile coots. Pic 5 is a White Wagtail juv. 1 and 2 are, indeed, Black Tern and I'm sure you're right on the Marsh Harrier, too, although I can't manipulate the image on this PC to double-check.

Graham

The second picture shows definitely a Black Tern due to the pale underwing coverts (a moulting White-winged Tern would at most show a mottled covert field). However, I agree that the first picture shows some features that resemble White-winged, such as a contrasting white rump and a rather pale upperwing contrasting against the darker back.

Edit: On a closer look, the first bird even seems to show a dark carpal area on the underwing. Is it certain that both photos are of the same bird?

Last edited:
The second picture shows definitely a Black Tern due to the pale underwing coverts (a moulting White-winged Tern would at most show a mottled covert field). However, I agree that the first picture shows some features that resemble White-winged, such as a contrasting white rump and a rather pale upperwing contrasting against the darker back.

Edit: On a closer look, the first bird even seems to show a dark carpal area on the underwing. Is it certain that both photos are of the same bird?

I got the impression the first photo also shows more white above and just behind the eye making the head pattern approach that shown by WWBT in moult, and also its bill gives the impression of being smaller and more spikey (although it is a smaller image)

Jan

tern is wwbt, is it not a citrine wag? doesnt show any yellow on face or any hint of black breast band. appart from weak head pattern rest seems fine

tern is wwbt, is it not a citrine wag? doesnt show any yellow on face or any hint of black breast band. appart from weak head pattern rest seems fine

I believe that the wagtail is a White Wagtail. Although there's no clear dark breast patch visible, the angle is not the best, and some White Wagtails have a rather pale one. Compare to these two, and imagine what they would look from a side view:
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=139693&sid=1ba7acc386e3bb6711e566a2f1b951bd
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=110276&sid=1ba7acc386e3bb6711e566a2f1b951bd
Further, as you noted, the head pattern is weak, resembling White Wagtail, and the white tips on the median and greater coverts are on the narrow side even for a White Wagtail, a Citrine Wagtail would have much broader tips:
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=komi1205475784&lang=eng

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back