• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

olympus 520 prices (1 Viewer)

rob23

high im about to buy my first dslr and have decided on the 520 with 2 lens kit.i was wondering how long i have to wait for the prices to come down alot.i would hate to buy it now just to find the it had come down 100 pounds next few months.any answers on previous camera devalulation would be nice.i was thinker after christmas my self but im just guessing

You're probably correct in thinking well after Christmas when the prices drop, but if you really want a good deal now why wait. You could probably get a much better deal on an E510 which has just been replaced by the 520. I doubt there's really much difference in performance between the two models.

Olympus seem to be going down the route of introducing a new model every year, but I doubt there'll be much significant improvement until another 2-3 models are out. I could of course be wrong though.

I bought an E510 in May and love it, but wished I'd waited a month or two for a better deal. There are much better cameras out there now if you've got a big budget, but if you're itching to get going buy now and learn how to use an SLR properly. Invest in better glass gradually and wait for the better technology to trickle down to the lower end of the market. You'll still have the lenses even when the camera body is obsolete. Canon currently make a 21MP camera if you can afford £5000. I wonder how long it will be before more 'basic' cameras have this kind of performance?

Steve

I disagree with Steve. I think that the 520 is enough of an improvement over the 510 that it is worth waiting for the price of the 520 to come down. I am in the same boat myself. I'm hoping that the prices will have dropped by the middle of October. Maybe I'm being an optimist here, but I do not think we'll have to wait till after Christmas.

Note that the 520 will come in various kits. All have the 14-42mm, of course. There are two versions of the 2-lens kits, one with the 40-150, the other with the 70-300; there is even a 3-lens kit, including all 3 of these lenses. I think I'd go for the 3-lens kit, which is only $100 more than the 2-lens kit that has the 70-300, so you are essentially paying $100 for the 40-150.

I disagree with Steve. I think that the 520 is enough of an improvement over the 510 that it is worth waiting for the price of the 520 to come down. I am in the same boat myself. I'm hoping that the prices will have dropped by the middle of October. Maybe I'm being an optimist here, but I do not think we'll have to wait till after Christmas.

Note that the 520 will come in various kits. All have the 14-42mm, of course. There are two versions of the 2-lens kits, one with the 40-150, the other with the 70-300; there is even a 3-lens kit, including all 3 of these lenses. I think I'd go for the 3-lens kit, which is only $100 more than the 2-lens kit that has the 70-300, so you are essentially paying $100 for the 40-150.

I must say I've either not looked properly at the 520 specs, or didn't understand the significance of them over the 510. Could you explain in what ways you think it is much improved?

Cheers
Steve

The biggest improvement in my opinion is the improvement to the Live View mode (being able to see the view on the LCD on the back in real time). Its autofocus function has been greatly improved (with a new point-and-shoot type of focusing just for Live View), an area that was criticized in the E-510. Live View, very useful in some situations (e.g. macro), is now about as good as on a point-and-shoot. This alone is worth waiting for, I think.

I think they may have improved the LCD on the back for manual focus too, although I'm not sure. I know it can go up to 10x and is greatly praised in reviews, although it may be the same as the E-510. Again, good for macro.

Plus, supposedly its dynamic range has been expanded. Also, it now allows wireless TTL flash with the F36R or F50R flashes. This is actually quite an improvement, from what I have read, although I don't know all in complicated ins and outs of it yet.

I take on board your points, though to be honest I doubt any of these would make a real difference to my style of photography. As a 510 user, I have never used flash (and don't intend to) and have not used the live view feature either so far, although macro is an area I might dabble in sometime in the future.

Essentially the 520 seems to be very similar to the 510 in most key areas (sensor, IS, image quality etc), so if I were Rob I'd get myself a 510 now as they are available at present for about £400 with the twin lens kit. You're looking at about £150 extra for the same kit for the 520. Unless macro is very high on your list of uses for the camera, I still don't really see much point in waiting.

Cheers for your thoughts anyway,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back